Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Power User
Power User
Is it possible to run a query that will change everyone to HTML email instead of plain text? Also, how can I make HTML email the default for new members?

Thanks.

Jon Levine

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
That should to the trick:

Update w3t_Users Set U_EmailFormat="html";

Remember to backup your database first!

Journeyman
Journeyman
The disadvantage of doing that is that a lot of spam sniffers will pick up the mail as spam and then it will not be delivered. My guess is that would especially be the case with subscriptions.

Plain text seems to pass the spam sniffers algorithms better.

[:"blue"]Eric Hill[/]
Power User
Power User
Are you referring to spam sniffers that are on the server or on individuals computers?

Plus, will the above query also make HTML the default for everyone who joins from this point on?

Thanks.

Ehill,

My subscriptions I recieve are in HTML and I get them just fine and use one of those spam sniffers as well.

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
[]Also, how can I make HTML email the default for new members?[/]

ALTER TABLE w3t_Users CHANGE U_EmailFormat U_EmailFormat varchar(10) DEFAULT 'HTML'

This will work for now, since the U_EmailFormat column is not set explicitly when a new user registers. A more reliable method would be to modify the INSERT query in adduser.php to set the U_EmailFormat column to 'HTML'.

Backup your database first.

Last edited by Dave_L; 05/09/2003 7:47 PM.
Journeyman
Journeyman
It is the spam sniffers that are located on the servers not the individual computers. It appears that the more html coding the more it triggers the sniffers based on what I have seen thus far. Not that it is not easy to fix, but things are getting tighter all the time as people are increasing the spam percentage to try to stop so much of it.

I am seeing more being picked up that has html in it than plain text. Guess the biggest problem is that the end user will probably not know why the subscription not being recieved. I have even gotten rejects on subscriptions that are plain text, as possible spam, and we don't even offer the html option. I seem to be getting more of those rejects in the last six months than ever before.

I had to reduce the settings (on my spam sniffer) some because it was picking up so much good mail, most of it html format. But like in my case the end user would not know why they were not receiving the subscription, it just does not show up.

I think that it is maybe earthlink now that will block all incoming email (user optional) unless they are listed in the system as a good email address or something. Something that they announced in the last month or so as a user option that can be turned on?

[:"blue"]Eric Hill[/]
Veteran
Veteran
We run a spam filter on my servers, and it has very very few false positives - however the one that it did detect was a email sent from Ubb - although this was from classic and not threads.

If anyone wants to try an HTML email, PM me for an email address to try it to, and we can see if it gets rejected.

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
AllenAyres
AllenAyres
Texas
Forum Statistics
Forums63