Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#245704 05/09/2003 9:53 PM
What do you think about the future of UBB.threads?

I worry about it every night. Today, most people who want to switch thier UBB.classic to a PHP/MySQL solution choose vBulletin or PhpBB. However, UBB.threads is superior compared to the competition in the fields of architechture and support. vBulletin's support is only mediocre, and their developers always like to bash Infopop's products. But unfortuantely with what I am seeing now, UBB.threads may turn out to be a failure. We should keep our hopes up.

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Pink....

Wait til you see the 6.4 changelog - which Rick will post when 6.3 goes Final.

Muwa ha ha ha

Addict
Addict
Yes... right now, you're right. Most people do flock to vb and such... but remember, these products have been around for much longer than threads, and threads is new and has been essentially re-written from the ground up to provide the best performance.

vbulletin has been just hacked and added features upon the already messy code.. sure, it has a lot of crap in it, but most of it people either don't use, or it just causes the software to be a bit slower. How long have we been hearing about vb 3.0? Over a year? Longer? If you look at the current beta, it is essentially basic VB with some minor enhancements, but mostly just the implimentation of hacks that people created to make it even more bulky.

As Josh stated, wait until 6.4, the software will be taking a huge leap forward as far as features and such are concerned, and it will begin to really take shape. Given the time to grow, it will start to really take off.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I only worry about it when I break my F5 button in the Member's area (which I have open lo even this Friday night)

I always want more more more and faster faster faster... it'll be there, I just need some fresh air more often.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Hacker
Hacker
After much reflection, I see the trend for InfoPop is a more "serious" customer. Their price point will drive many to VB who would otherwise not want to spend the additional money on sites which generate little or no revenue.

To me, VB is the middle point between the free products and Threads. Cheaper, but the code is bloated and having the templates (and images, and basically everything!) in the database is a real PITA. Want to update a template, you cant edit a file - you have to use their web browser interface to update a database variable which then uses str_replaces to populate its template. A world of difference from the Threads implementation.

So, in the end InfoPop has decided to focus on the "serious" customer and let VB and the others have the low/middle end. Kind of like a car dealer that only builds high end models.

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Exactly. If everyone was given the choice.... they'd drive the Lexus - but some have to drive Toyotas.

Addict
Addict
Yeah, those poor people don't know what they are missing. Unfortunately I know what I'm missing and I really need another license. =/

[]extremebikini said:
After much reflection, I see the trend for InfoPop is a more "serious" customer. Their price point will drive many to VB who would otherwise not want to spend the additional money on sites which generate little or no revenue.

To me, VB is the middle point between the free products and Threads. Cheaper, but the code is bloated and having the templates (and images, and basically everything!) in the database is a real PITA. Want to update a template, you cant edit a file - you have to use their web browser interface to update a database variable which then uses str_replaces to populate its template. A world of difference from the Threads implementation.

So, in the end InfoPop has decided to focus on the "serious" customer and let VB and the others have the low/middle end. Kind of like a car dealer that only builds high end models. [/]

But what about UBB.classic? UBB.classic costs more than vBulletin, but as stated earlier, the top choice people make from switching UBB.classic to a PHP/MySQL solution is vBulletin.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Well... people Love Classic.... because it's been around a long time.

They don't "love" Theads by default, because it is different. So I guess that makes people ready to explore totally different options.

Most people only upload to Threads from Classic because their sites grew and classic could no longer handle it.

Pink,

I own both products so I will answer this one. I owned classic and when I switched I bought Threads. My users where at first dissapointed but got use to the differences. I also bought VB but as extremebikini said the database being hogged with templates etc I found completely foolish. I found the product to be very kludgy next to Threads so I made a decision to stick to Threads and to this day own both products but VB has never made it out of test site phase. I would rather hack in any features that my users or I might want.

Sponsored Links
Lurker
Lurker
[]Jeremy said:

vbulletin has been just hacked and added features upon the already messy code.. sure, it has a lot of crap in it, but most of it people either don't use, or it just causes the software to be a bit slower. How long have we been hearing about vb 3.0? Over a year? Longer? If you look at the current beta, it is essentially basic VB with some minor enhancements, but mostly just the implimentation of hacks that people created to make it even more bulky.
[/]
You seem full of anxiety...or is it depression?

Dallas,

Hmm you talk like a VB spy and your first one and only post shows it. Jeremy is entitled to his opinion. Being a VB owner as well as a Threads owner I concur with his opinion. VB is a very sloppy coded and slow product.

Addict
Addict
[]Dallas said:
[]Jeremy said:

[/]
You seem full of anxiety...or is it depression? [/]

There are dozens of vb spies here, it is nothing new

And it is not anxiety or depression, as I own a VB license (and have owned others in the past) and also own a threads license... I run both instances of the software currently and am very familiar with both platforms. So, my opinion is backed by real testing and experience

Hi,

"My users where at first dissapointed but got use to the differences."
Same thing for me.

I was on Delphi first, and people did not like the (forced) move to UBB.classic. They, however, soon came to like it.
A year later we upgraded to UBB.threads and again there were complaints for a few weeks. Once people got used to the new board though those complaints turned to praise.

I think it all comes down to the fact that most people dislike change.

Sanuk!

Lurker
Lurker
[]Omegatron said:
Dallas,

Hmm you talk like a VB spy and your first one and only post shows it. Jeremy is entitled to his opinion. Being a VB owner as well as a Threads owner I concur with his opinion. VB is a very sloppy coded and slow product. [/]
You make a lot of assumptions don't you?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
He only made one assumption... that you are some sort of 'vb spy'... prove differently

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
[]ksanuk said:
I think it all comes down to the fact that most people dislike change.
[/]

Agreed

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
On a site that I am admin for we went from classic to threads and for two weeks nothing but complaining, now they love it.

I own 3 threads licenses and am about to buy 10 more. I have currently two sites hooked up to one database and will be hooking all of them up soon.

Threads is freaking awesome and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I've looked EXTENSIVELY at all the other products and by far, threads was the best. Cost was however, not an issue for me. I am completely unbiased and honestly can't even see the comparison....

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Agreed - users hate change.
They will complain for a while. They eventually get used to it and move on.

Hacker
Hacker
I think there might be some confusiong for classic users in looking at Threads as an "upgrade". It really isn't an upgrade so much as an offer to change your license to a different product.

An upgrade suggests that the product was improved over the last version; not a whole different product with a different feature set.

"Upgrade" can be confusing, especially across cultures or languages.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Yeah, very true. Alot of classic users are surprised that this is not classic - just because it bears the Infopop logo. Otherwise they'd call it ClassicPlus or ClassicPro etc...

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Or .present

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Didn't CocaCola go this route?

Do you mean New Coke/Coke II? That was a big failure, because Coke fans preferred the old taste of Coke. New Coke/Coke II tasted more like Pepsi.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I prefer Coca Cola Classic.

But I sometimes have that problem Allen does, where it sprays me a bit when I open it.

Coke > Pepsi
UBB.Threads > VB

Addict
Addict
Martini > *.*

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I love Chocolate Martini's - have you ever had a Chocolate Martini?

Addict
Addict
Josh always knows how to take an off-topic post and run with it!

Oh yeah, I'm a Glenfiddich man myself.

Do you use Creme de Cacao for a Choco Martini? I have clear stuff at home. I also have dry vermouth, some Grey Goose, and gin. Am I set??

Last edited by AKD96; 05/12/2003 9:56 PM.
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
LOL - Yeah, we ought to have an "adminish" type figure to keep topics online.
I honestly have never made one for myself.... I usually get them out.
But here's the recipe. It's pretty much pure alcohol.
http://www.webtender.com/db/drink/1331

And kids - don't drink and drive.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
caramel > chocolate

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Only two ingredients, I think I could even make that one.

Veteran
Veteran
The worse things about Coke (and all drinks in cans) - is when a moustache grows a bit too long, and a stray hair gets caught on the key-pull - and you move the can away from your mouth - it hurts!!!!

Brings tears to the eyes.

Sould be a warning on the can - do you reckon I can sue the manufacturers, for not warning me LOL

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Addict
Addict
Write a letter to them about it, and see if it they start printing a warning on the can.

P.S. Enclose a picture of you being carried on a stretcher with a bandage over your mouth.

All right, lets get back on track now.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
LOL

Can I represent you in the lawsuit.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Doah
Pink cracks the whip on our New Coke Classic conversation.

Veteran
Veteran
Sorry Pink

Will go an write out 100 times 'Must not contribute to taking a thread of Pink's off track'

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho

Addict
Addict
As for the future of threads, I think threads should have a little martini graemlin by default (shameful attempt to keep something on topic)

But as a last post for the martini folks here, the best is an apple martini! One shot of skyy vodka, one shot of apple pucker. Shake briskly, strain into a chilled martini glass. Add a small lemon slice for decoration

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
OOh.

We also need a graemlin with Chocolate on his face - for me.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63