Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#253259 07/08/2003 10:47 PM
I have been using ipowerweb for a while and have a couple of sites with them. Up until now they have been fine, I have had to have vhfans moved to a different server twice now. The first time was due to excessive slowness so they moved me which I know is prolonging the inevitable, then I got the "Too many connections" error which turned out to be something wrong with the MySql install on their server. They couldn't seem to resolve this so I asked to be moved yet again to a functional server.

They moved me again (today) and after DNS replication the errors were gone but now they are having a system wide outtage of some kind and the site is really slow. This one is announced on their Help page, even my http://www.bundymania.com server is slow that I have had for a couple of years and it's way down the list.

Jeremy was good enough to explain a lot of this to me, although I figured it, he solidified my thoughts. They do have 24 hour support which is nice but the hold time is always over 20 minutes. I am a Network Engineer (Win32 stuff only ) and I can tell you that if I let any of my servers at work go to like that I would be fired.

Sponsored Links
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Don't they offer that $7.95 website or something like that?

I have never thought about using them because I learned a long time back that you get what you pay for. With such a low price I just assumed they were making it up by packing their servers to with in inches of their life... lol

But I could be wrong. Just my oppinion.
</2cents>

You are right Dave and I know you get what you pay for. I don't want make them sound really terrible because in my time with them most of it's been good, just lately it seems a lot of things have gone wrong all at once.

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
It could be that they had you on a fairly new server so there wasn't many others using it also. As time went by they added more and more users which could be causing your current problems. Now they need to add new machines and start the process over?

I'm just guessing... they could also be having unexpected troubles not unlike anyone else at some point in time.

I hope things get better for ya

Thanks man, I think that if I want my site to grow and prosper that I need to get into a better situation and I think Jeremy offers that. At the time I think they are having unexpected troubles and I know how that goes for sure so I don't blame them for that.

Sponsored Links
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
Jeremy hosts two sites for me. I've had no trouble with Vertexhost at all

Addict
Addict
Jeremy hosts my site - drumlines.org

Kudos for the speed both MySQL and HTTP. And whenever I have a problem, I email them and they get back to me within an hour.

Thanks for the referal guys, I already got started with him this morning He has been very cool about helping with the transfer, I went with the Advanced Plan. Now I am just waiting for the name servers to replicate and I should be good to go.

Dave is right, you get what you pay for. I only have under 300 users and if I want any growth I have to pay more than $7.95 a month for a service that cares instead of a company that stuffs as many people as possible on to a server.

Kahuna
Kahuna
We also have the longhaircareforum.com with the Advanced plan. Agree with Josh. Really good service and value for money.

Nikos
You should try powweb.com they are pretty good and cheap, i have had few complaints

Sponsored Links
I have had three sites on there, two of which don't have a lot of traffic but once I had a site that started to grow and get a lot of hits I had to move up. After my move over to Jeremy's service it's been excellent since. In my experience Ipowerweb is okay if you have a small site but if you want interaction and expect growth I personally cannot recommend them.

They get DoS attacks on a regular basis, hence lots of down time and getting a hold of tech support takes forever. I think this goes back to the old 'you get what you pay for' routine, for $7.95 a month you get an okay site for little things but you are going to get jam packed on whatever server you are put on. If you tell them you want the whole "500" megs that they offer their response is "most people don't use it so we don't give it to them unless it's a special request LOL. It's all about numbers to them which is why their tech support is hammered on a regular basis.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
hatter
hatter
USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63