Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#254634 07/27/2003 4:24 PM
Helllpppppp!

I think I'm on the path to making something quite nice! But, I've worked on it for a couple hours now, and am wondering if it's just not something that is possible....

Please have a look at my test board, you'll notice at the bottom there are three "buttons" - extra info, toolbar, and birthdays.... When clicked they show a different layer. I think you'll see what I'm doing.

Anyway, I can't figure out to have the 3 boxes be on top of each other, rather than each beneath the other. It's very frustrating! And, the whole point of this way to stop wasting space - but it's leaving a gap when the other parts are hidden.

I hope this makes sense...If anyone has a solution I'm all ears!

Thanks!

-peter

Sponsored Links
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
I'm just guessing what your using but I believe you want just one area to display the information. Using inner html with getElementById and replace the inner html of that one single area.

Hope this made sense... lol

Okay, it didn't make too much sense, but I searched it and am reading about it now.

See, I'm really just a fraud. If I see something, I can use an example and then waste tons of time playing with something making stupid errors until it works. lmao.

So, I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for getting me started in a direction!

-peter

WOOHOO!! I figured it out! I think it looks great too!

Though, I wonder how many browsers it won't work in. lol.

-peter

Oops, lost it for a bit...Finally I got it now.

Sponsored Links
Josh - if you see this message, could you please check my dev board out for me when you get a chance. You're the only mac man I know and I'm curious to know if that toolbar thingy at the bottom renders okay for mac
test board ...

no login necessary...

-peter

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
If your using the inner html with getelementbyid you should be good on the newer browsers.

Nope - I used show/hide with layers. It ended up being very simple. I'll have to research this getelement stuff. I'm trying to make it work with at least 3.0 browsers, maybe 4 series of both IE and navigator - got some older comp folks.

-peter

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Uhg... 3.0 browsers? There aughta be a law... LoL

Good luck.

No kidding... The issue really is about who I serve with my community - mostly highschoolers / college age. What I know is that a lot of these kids use their school computers, most of which are Netscape 4.0.

So, the dilemma is catering to them, while still maintaining a fresh look for the new browsers. It's a pain, but it's not really like I can tell them to upgrade their school browsers.

We'll see..... I like the way it turned out, so they'll haev to fight me to go back. LOL

-peter

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
netscape 4.0 anything won't be compatible with Threads. Do a search for "netscape 4.7" at Infopop community and you'll see. It's support for CSS is spotty - and Threads uses CSS exclusively.

On my mac - things looked good in Mozilla.

In Safari - the layers worked - but the box to display the stuff was limited to about half the size of the screen - thus it ended up covering the legend.

On the mac in OmniWeb - when I clicked the layers appeared at the very top of the screen and covered up the logo.

On the mac in IE - it worked fine - but the area where the info appeared was wider than the screen and caused the whole screen to scroll left/right.

Probably it would help if you made the page validate at w3.org
Right now there are alot of issues - and cleaning those up might make it work better:

See Here

LMAO!

Yeah, I figured someone would say to validate the page. I look at that crap and tried correcting stuff but it just boggles my mind sometimes and I give up in frustration. I'm nonprofitting our organization and seeking funding, so when I get some I'll hire a real webmaster. I was only supposed to be temporary anyway. lol

I think I'm going to include the legend in the layer, so it'll automatically appear beneath whatever is displayed. I think that's the best way around it getting covered...

Thanks for all the input Josh. I'll play tonight and see what I can do about the other stuff.

-peter

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849