Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#254716 07/28/2003 1:48 PM
Anybody else having any problems with these? When I try to remove them through the admin section I'm getting an unable to remove/check permissions error. I've even tried making them world writeable. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

[:"blue"]Kristina[/]
Sponsored Links
I had this problem also, although it's vague I seem to recall needing to delete the icons from the server directly (through ftp) and then remove them through the control panel. If that doesn't work let me know and I will dig through what I did.

We had this problem and did basically the same thing. It seems like there were 3 places we had to remove them from.

I've tried deleting them via ftp and then tried to remove them from the admin section. I still get the same error message. And where the graphic used to be is a red 'x'. This is driving me nuts! Thanks for the help.

Addict
Addict
Set permissions on the images/graemlins directory to 777.

Set permissions on the files inside the images/graemlins to 666.

Sponsored Links
I checked that before I posted. The images/graemlins directory is set to 777 and all the files inside the images/graemlins are set to 666.

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Welcome gofishgrl

Perhaps trying chmod 755 on the directory/files would cure it? Not sure why the other values didn't work.

Where's Lisa_P?

I've tried 755, 777, and 666. No dice.

She's been hitting the books pretty hard this semester. Thus I am having to become our website's resident nerd. It's not a pretty sight! When I talk to her next, I'll nag her to come over here and check in.

Addict
Addict
When all else fails.... Fresh Install time!!

Did you used to work tech support for Gateway?

Sponsored Links

Is this a known bug guys? Not sure if it's been reported or not but it appears to have happened to a few of us now and permissions aren't an issue, at least they weren't with mine either.

Addict
Addict
It's not a bug, it's board specific. I guess that means it's not a bug. :scratches head: But it works for me.

No, I was never tech support for Gateway, but I was at my college. Let's start with the basics. Is your computer plugged-in?

Did you also have a problem with avatars that your members uploaded? Because in the forums/pics directory, all of the pictures that my members upload get set to a 600 permission setting. I have to go in and manually change them to 644. However attachments work fine.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Perhaps it's an issue with ownership - which I think it a php setting. If the script uploading graphics is running as "nobody" I think the files would be owned by "nobody" and *might* be difficult to remove.

This is a bit of a fuzzy area for me - but it's been an issue on some servers running in safe mode etc...

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
[]gofishgrl said:
I've tried deleting them via ftp and then tried to remove them from the admin section. I still get the same error message. And where the graphic used to be is a red 'x'. This is driving me nuts! Thanks for the help. [/]

Where is the red x being displayed? In a post? If so then that would be normal since the graemlin has been deleted.

If that's not the case then when you delete the graemlin via ftp does your ftp software display an error message saying it couldn't preform the operation? What's the error message?

To remove the red x you could upload a clear gif with the same name to take it's place. 1px by 1px would suffice.

After .threads uploads the graemlin it chmod's it to 0666. This should make it accessable for deletion on any *nix box. What's the graemlin's name? Is there a space or special character in it? Perhaps that's causing the unlink command to fail when it's deleted from the admin section.

Ok that's all I can think of at the moment.

Lurker
Lurker
We're trying to find out now about the PHP ownership issue. The graemlins get uploaded correctly with file permissions set to 666, but once they're uploaded you can't remove them, ever. We understand the red x showing up when there's no file. It's not so much we need to make the x go away, but we need to be able to add/delete graemlins to customize them for our members. They love the little touches like that.

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Ok just making sure I understood everything.

Let us know what you find out about the permissions. Others have had simular, if not the same sort of problems your describing. I'm sure everyone will appreciate it.

Lurker
Lurker
I talked to our web host and we aren't running in safe mode. They use a secure mode that is just as secure as safe mode but doesn't have any of the safe mode restrictions. I'm not 100% sure how it works but supposedly you can run scripts with the rights of the apache daemon without compromising the security of your site. There haven't been any problems reported from other sites they host so it looks like it works but doesn't explain our problem.

We're running php 4.3.2 and are upgrading to MySQL 4.0.14 tonight. I'm not sure if that will help at all, I'll let you all know.

Just editing in another question.

I do have one more question. We're trying to edit the order the graemlins are displayed with no luck. It looks like they're just pulled out of the database with a standard query but the order they are displayed makes no sense to me. We have tried changing the G_number field but this has no affect. Is it ordered by the time and date they were uploaded?

Last edited by mhp17; 08/03/2003 5:52 PM.
Addict
Addict
[6.3.1]

Here's the query that pulls the graemlins from the database for displaying them, in ubbt.inc.php, function instant_ubbcode(), line 1568:

Code
// We need to grab all of the graemlins out of the db<br />   $query = "<br />      SELECT G_Code,G_Smiley,G_Image<br />      FROM {$config['tbprefix']}Graemlins<br />      ";

There's no ORDER BY clause, so the order is arbitrary.

OK - this may be a really dumb question but why do the graemlins stay in the same order every time they're displayed? They're not being pulled out in the order that they're indexed so I can't figure out why they show up in the same order every time.

I've gotten a few requests asking me to put the more frequently used graemlins on the reply to post screen and less frequently used ones towards the bottom on the pop-up graemlin menu.

Addict
Addict
Since there's no ORDER BY clause, MySQL probably retrieves them in the order that they happen to occur in the database.

If you wanted to force them to be in a particular order, you could add an ORDER BY clause, or sort them after they're retrieved.

To do what you want, you could add another column to the graemlins table, e.g.:

Code
ALTER TABLE w3t_Graemlins ADD G_Sort INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL

Then you could assign different numbers to that column, and add an ORDER BY clause to the query:

Code
// We need to grab all of the graemlins out of the db<br />   $query = "<br />      SELECT G_Code,G_Smiley,G_Image<br />      FROM {$config['tbprefix']}Graemlins<br />      ORDER BY G_Sort<br />      ";

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Ironically enough - I'd been working on updating Nikos' modification that allows you to arrange the order of the graemlins - I've reposted it here:
https://www.ubbdev.com/forum/showflat.php?Board=modifications&Number=90681

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63