Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Power User
Power User
Hi Guys.

I'm looking for some sort of file management software for my users. My requiremetns are actually pretty simple.

• Something I can modify to work with threads user db
  • ability to create directories, upload files, rename, delete and link to.

any ideas? I was almost going to go for photopost, but it is totaly targeted towards images. I need this for pdfs, docs etc....

Fred

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
With the exception of directories (at least more than 3) Threads can handle this from what you've described. I have a Category setup as a sheet music section where I store pdf files and jpgs of sheet music. I have it divided into levels of difficulty (forums) and then then different pieces (threads).

Of course, I get the feeling this isn't as powerful as what you are looking for.

Power User
Power User
Ya, I was hoping to use something existing, but havne't found anything... I need a directory for each user. It can be like a regular directory listing giving them the ability to add a directory, remove it,upload file, delete file, rename.

I'd rather not write all this, but looks like that might be my only choice.

From my investigation of PhotoPost, it only allows one directory correct? And every user has their usernumber attached to the file name?

Addict
Addict
I don't use PhotoPost, but I'm sure either PhotoPost himself or Omegatron can help you with that.

VW,

Yes Photopost creates as many directories as you create categories. The user number is appended to the file name. Photopost only does multiple image files and movies. From the multiple platform environment you need with adding text and PDF files I think you would need to write your own or modify Photopost to also include PDF and Text Files. Not impossible at all but time consuming.

Sponsored Links
Power User
Power User
I was actually thinking of directories for each user rather than a directory of subjects. The categories thing has some real advantages, I'm just not sure which what I should go right now... Photopost or write my own stuff (as I can't find anything close to what I'm looking for:(). Too bad the software I'm replace was written in Coldfusion...

VW,

In Photopost you can have them upload to whatever category they wish.

Now you must be missing a key thing in Photopost. You can display all uploads by user. Not necessarily their own directory but the same thing is achieved. You view the showcase. There is a setting in the admin section options

Do you want to show the Members Gallery in List format? yes no

This will list images by user.

Power User
Power User
Is there any way I can evaluate PhotoPost admin side of things. I need to evaluate these types of things before purchasing and seeing how I can intergrate it into our existing systems... I keep thinking it may work, but need to verify first.

Here is a current snapshot of the current system:
[]http://www.tdiclub.com/images/picserver.jpg[/]
and users get a simple url like:
http://pics.tdiclub.com/members/vwderf/picserver.jpg

I have about 500 users using this service right now and would really like to allow this to continue with jpg, gif, and pdfs, but...

Last edited by VWDerf; 08/01/2003 4:52 PM.
I do not work for Photopost so I can not answer that question.

That is one instance where I think they should have a limited use demo for customers to try out.

Power User
Power User
Thanks for your advice Omegatron, I'm going to talk to Photopost and see what can be done.

Fred

Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63