Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hi--

I'm running 5.4.4php, so maybe this is reason to upgrade now :

For a national organization I need to coordinate the signing up of people for jobs at the convention. I would like people to be able to do this without the need for me to intervene.

The jobs will involve being a session host for the speakers at the convention. There may be 10 sessions going on at the same time, and during the convention there might be 10 or 15 different time slots. So that is possibly 150 volunteers.

What I would like to do is have people come to the board and pick the session they want to be session host for. The board would already list the dates, times, and the session title and speaker name. The people signing up would put their name and e-mail address in next to that session.

They would not be able to delete anybody else's name that was already posted, but they could delete their own and move to another slot. They could even volunteer for more than one.

Is this possible with any upgrade or upcoming version of Threads? (I don't see a calendar here.) If not, can you point me in the direction of something that will do this?

Thanks, everybody! Long time no see.

Sponsored Links
The next version of the boards (currently in beta) will have a calendar included. Hit the News and read the change log for more details on it.

I'd almost think that this might require a customization of the calendar that's coming up in 6.4, if I'm reading the requirements right.

I have a custom calendar integrated into Threads on my site that is similar to what you are looking to do, but mine is for a game.

Though I expect it could be altered to be used for conferences.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Yeah, the calendar is coming to 6.4. Functionality will be basic out of the box.. but probably some mods and enhancements will follow.

I am running the 6.4 development beta at www.JoshuaPettit.com if you want to check it out.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Josh--

Looked at your site before I started this thread. Could you give a more specific link to the calendar on your site?

Thanks, Josh!

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
It's in the menu bar of threads.
Bottom row.

If you're logged in it appears next to the user list link, if you're not logged in it next to the FAQ link.

Kahuna
Kahuna
And it looks real nice. The ability to add recurring events and not have to worry about reentering everything every X time is what was needed. Additionally the birthday modification closes the cycle

I would however like to see - and I don't know if this already done - is for admins and moderators to be able to see all birthdays entered irrespective of whether the user chose to have them displayed.

Early days yet but from Josh's beta copy things look really good!

Nikos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Josh--

OK, found it. Thanks.

Now I am wondering how flexible it is to do the kind of scheduling I want?

For instance, I have 5 events at 9:00 am to 10:20, three at 9:00 to 10:00, 6 at 10:00 to 11:45, 5 at 10:30 to 11:45, etc. Each should have its own calendar box, and they should all show up where everyone can read them without having to click to see if it is already taken.

Or should I look for another kind of program?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Threads is not there yet. The current one just allows you to put an event on a day.

Probably once it comes out - people will develop mods.... but since it's a new feature, it's pretty basic to begin with.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Josh--

Got any suggestions for another place to look?

Thanks, Josh!

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Not off hand. If I see anything I'll post about it.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Josh (and all)--

Thanks, Josh.

I found http://www.bosdev.com/bosdates/
and
http://www.myevents.com/ --this one is scheduling software at $4 per month

Anybody had any experience with either?

Also: Do we have a way to create a table that people can edit? That might be an easy way:

Room--8 am--9 am--10 am
101---Fred--Sue---
102---Jane--Joe---Sandy

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63