Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I dont know if this is the right place to post, but our BBS has run for 9 months solid, and its just gone down...

www.rs-i.net

Here is the text:

Warning: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) in /home/domains/rs-i.net/user/htdocs/ubbthreads/mysql.inc.php on line 35

Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) in /home/domains/rs-i.net/user/htdocs/ubbthreads/mysql.inc.php on line 35
SQL ERROR: Database error only visible to forum administrators

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/domains/rs-i.net/user/htdocs/ubbthreads/mysql.inc.php on line 45

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/domains/rs-i.net/user/htdocs/ubbthreads/mysql.inc.php on line 105

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/domains/rs-i.net/user/htdocs/ubbthreads/mysql.inc.php on line 131

From the top line, sounds like my ISP is having SQL problems, but having spoke to them there sysetm is fine....

Anybody Help..??

My files have not changed, just FTP in and dates are correct...

Thanks In Advance...

Brett

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
Definately seems as if there is a problem with MySQL on your server. If you made no changes, then something had to of changed on their end.

Do you have phpMyAdmin? See if you can use that to see your database.

Jeremy,

I use one of these combined ISP hosting systems, I have a virtual control panel, can add domains etc.. limted functinality, no direct access to MySQL server...

At least with what you have said, it looks like my ISP has problems not the software, but as i said, its not changed in 9 months and the dates are all aligned...

Thanks

Brett

Addict
Addict
I would definately try to work with them for more information... from your control panel can you create/edit/remove databases? If so, you may want to try to create a new database and see if it lets you. Given the error, it probably shouldn't.

The other option is maybe the IP address or name of the MySQL server has changed, thus threads cannot connect to it.

J,

Its another £55 for everyone MySQL Database my account hosts... Basically I click the new button, it askes me for name and username and password of database I would like...

I get a Conf page with ip address and logon info...

Its poor but has always worked, suppose you dont know how bad support is untill you need it.....

If I get really stuck, I will have to pay one of you guys to sort it, That is if my ISP says its not there fault....

Thanks

Brett

Sponsored Links
Do you have a value filled in for this in config for you board:

Log all mysql errors? If you want to do this you will need to specify a path to a directory here. This directory should be outside of your document root and will need to be writeable by the webserver.

If so you should be able to view the error logs through the admin panel.

Then you will be able to view the errors that these refer to:

Guys, My isp has just sent me a reply re this problem, They are familar with UBB (Fame Eh) and say a file was altered today (Trying To Find Out When & What Ip Address)...

I guess it just needs filling in again, but this is a major worry, who did this, can threads do it itself, I am the only one with FTP info....

Should I be worried..???

Dear Customer,

The main file (config.inc.php) which is included within ubb was altered today before you contacted us regarding this issue, the below section is missing the database information, once it is corrected and reuploaded, your site should work correctly.

$config['dbserver']= "";

// Username that has permissions to the database
$config['dbuser'] = "";

// Password for the database
$config['dbpass'] = "";

// Name of the database
$config['dbname'] = "";

I hope this has been of help.

Veteran
Veteran
"Warning: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) in /home/domains/rs-i.net/user/htdocs/ubbthreads/mysql.inc.php on line 35 "

MySQL is not running, or in rare instances, the MySQL server is running but the socket has gone away. Both are fixed by just restarting MySQL. Your ubbthreads sql logs will not show you what's up. In this case you need the server's MySQL .err log.

Picture perfect penmanship here.
Veteran
Veteran
I have some doubts about that.

You can change the path to your config file and put it above the web root.

Picture perfect penmanship here.
I have just FTP into website, they are right at 16:40 today GMT config.inc was changed....

I will add the entries and try again...

Thaks for your help guys, if this does not work, I will maybe ask for your help...

CheeRS

Brett

Sponsored Links
Phew....

Sorted, its working again...

I will try to find out more on how this happened....

Thanks guys, one more problem sorted....

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
That file can be changed with Admin access on the board.... make sure that nobody has an admin login or nobody has your password. You don't need FTP access to modify the config file.

Josh,

Seems half the information out of config.inc.php was missing, all database information, paths to images, file attach etc....

My only concern is that I am sure you assign an administrator username and password to threads on install, I cannot remeber what this was, maybe this is my hole..??

I Have got the board up and running, just need to add the info to show pictures online.. I will hunt through the Mods index today..

Is there any way of finding this account, it does not show in the users list, But I am sure its there....

Thanks

Brett

(You Learn By Your Mistakes..!!)

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
That account will be user #2 - should be you. Whatever user you create first is the main admin.

This would be the URL to view that person's profile.

http://www.rs-i.net/ubbthreads/showprofile.php?User=2

You could check the admin log (if you had that feature enabled... should be the last thing tha was on it.

Thanks Josh,

I will have a look.......

CheeRS For All your Support Guys.....

Thanks

Brett

Done...

Forgot the login name...

Changed password...

Thanks josh....

CheeRS

Brett

Veteran
Veteran
You might want to also check to see if anyone else has admin rights and change those passwords as well - just in case one of those has been compromised.

Glad to see you are back up and running

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
badfrog
badfrog
somewhere on the coast of Maine
Forum Statistics
Forums63