Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
User
User
as you can see with this posting - a long entry in location without any space kills the layout (at least in mozilla)
is there a fix for this?
any idea how this can be prevented, except for admin-action?

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
You might want to re-post this in the bugs forum at Infopop, with a link to this thread.

However, I'm not sure there's an easy fix.

My solution would be to simply edit the user's profile and add spaces or whatever. If a user deliberately put a long value in the location field just to be annoying, I would use the Advanced Banning hack to remove his ability to edit his profile.

Since your profile may get edited by you or someone else before Rick et. al. see this thread, I'll clarify that this issue concerns a user placing a long string without spaces in the Location field of his basic profile, and is easy to reproduce.

Addict
Addict
Isn't there a mod around here somewhere that deals with this issue??.......

Addict
Addict
I did a fix for this simply by cutting the string down to 25 characters on showflat and showthreaded. I guess it could be made smarter by counting the length of each word, but I didn't feel like doing any extra work because some people find it funny to break the layout.

I have this bit of code in showflat
Code
<br />         if ($Location) {<br />            if (strlen($Location) > 25)<br />               $Location = substr($Location, 0, 22) . "...";<br />            $postrow[$i]['Location'] = "{$ubbt_lang['USER_LOC']} $Location";<br />         }<br />

And this in showthreaded:
Code
<br />      if ($Location) {<br />         if (strlen($Location) > 25)<br />            $Location = substr($Location, 0, 22) . "...";<br />         $Location = "{$ubbt_lang['USER_LOC']} $Location";<br />      }<br />

This should go where the variables are set in each script, I don't have a clean copy available atm, so I can't tell you exactly where. It should look something similar except for the the second if-statement and the line with substr() in it. This is for 6.1 btw, don't know if it has changed in later versions, but the basic idea should be the same at least.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Doah I edited it becuase I saw the post in the other forum first.

JustDave did a fix for this too.... although looks pert'near gardeners.

Location Display Fix

Sponsored Links
User
User
thanx for the hacks, took the one from JustDave, working fine with 6.3.2

btw: the hack is not yet installed in threadsdev (just tried - but don't be afraid, won't try again

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
LOL

Rick is going to add this to 6.4.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
AllenAyres
AllenAyres
Texas
Forum Statistics
Forums63