Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi - For security reasons, I've so far restricted attachments to be jpeg, gif, and txt files. However, for some purposes, it would be nice to permit more general document files, e.g., so that an attachment could include both text and image if needed. Is security threatened by permitting doc files? And I realize I'm showing my limited knowledge by thinking of doc files as files from Word...what type of document files do other word processors make?

Thanks - Tony

Sponsored Links
I don't think that there would be a security issue to your site. I have .doc files allowed on my site and it always opens them in Word. I think only executable files, like .exe, .php, .cgi, etc, are a direct threat to the site.

Addict
Addict
Just be aware that .doc files can contain malicious macros. While these won't be a direct threat to your site, it could affect those who download it.

Journeyman
Journeyman
yes, I was thinking about this question some more, and was about to raise the issue of macros (though I didn't remember the name...) It'd be pretty terrible if a malicious person uploaded a file that then messed up a lot of users!

Let's see, for the occasions when a .doc file is really helpful, and if I know the person who wants it as an attachment, can I as administrator add it, after that person has posted the initial message and emailed me the file for attachment? I guess I can just try this, but thought I'd ask...

In a way, it could be easier if users could tell what type of file the attachment was, but - on the other hand - they wouldn't have any way of knowing whether a .doc file was trustworthy, would they? (Of course, current antivirus software would presumably take care of the old problems, but not a new one, huh?)

Thanks - Tony

Addict
Addict
[6.3.2]

To manually add an attachment 'filename.ext' to post #1234:

1) Place the file in your attachment directory with the name 1234-filename.ext.
2) UPDATE w3t_Posts SET B_File='1234-filename.ext' WHERE B_Number=1234

Sponsored Links
Journeyman
Journeyman
Ah...thank you. I think I'll have to wait on this until I have the nerve to start doing things with the database! So far I've resisted, because I don't have absolute confidence in how to restore from a backuup, in the unlikely event that should become necessary! I have been doing the occasional backup (using, what is it?, the myphpadmin tool), but I'm still not confident about what one DOES with the resulting file, if you have to use it...

(I've also noticed a tendency to assume we can access the database via the threads admin section, but I can't, and I gather that's characteristic of threads that's running on a shared server...)

Thanks again - Tony

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Admin -> SQL Command.

Everyone has access to that with Admin privs.

Addict
Addict
But not everyone has access to do backups/restores from there.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Right - you can only run queries from the admin menu.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Hey, that sounds interesting! So you mean that even if we don't have full capabilities from the admin menu (because we're on a shared server) we CAN run queries? (...and queries includes making changes such as suggested above to do an attachment FOR a user?)

Thanks - Tony

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
Correct.

Addict
Addict
You could, perhaps, use safer file types like PDF or even TXT and RTF. When I manually add files I go about it the lazy way. I upload the file and link it in a post. To soothe your members, you could post that the file has been scanned and guaranteed to be virii-free.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Yes, I've been thinking about these possibilities....though the issue hasn't yet come up on our new board - but undoubtedly it will because some of the issues we discuss have technical content, where illustrations, tables, or even equations are needed, which means a document that has all those things in it. A Word document can, but a txt document (which I do allow) can't.

What I wonder about, also, is a pdf file made FROM a Word document with all those things (illustrations, etc) in it. Do pdf files have any security risks? Presumably it shouldn't have all the issues that come along with microsoft (I started to write microbrain) software that's so integrated...

Of course, most people don't have software for making pdf files (though I do). Is there any free access for conversion that people have for limited use, such as for this purpose? I'm not aware of any, but this would solve the problem of the admin having to be involved, i.e., if a user could make a pdf file from his/her doc file and upload it!

As you say, I can upload a .doc file and then note it has been scanned. That is, of course, not an absolute guarantee, because standard antivirus scanning has it's limitations (particularly for a new virus).

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
To my knowledge there are no exploits with PDF files, because unlike Word and Excell, they do not have the ability to run macros on your system. I believe PDFs to be safe.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi, and thanks...do you (or anyone else) know if there is free access anywhere to convert files to pdf? Tony

hmmm...answer to my own question: goBCL
says it provides free conversion of document files to pdf (or html), as long as the document does not exceed 500KB, which would suffice for many purposes.

Anyone had any experience with this or other such services?

Last edited by TonyN; 09/11/2003 6:19 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63