Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 160
Member
Member
Offline
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 160
A site I administrate has an existing forum up and running. We're trying to migrate to a new, dedicated hosting provider. Having difficulty diagnosing why the backup/copy/import installation wasn't working, I deleted the database and started over, with a brand new installation of Threads 6.2.2 (Yes, I know it's not current, but we want to get the existing setup working again before looking at any upgrades) and using the install.php script.

With some tweaks here and there, things went more or less fine, until the following two steps . . .

First, on the Step 5 portion, I get this: [] UBB.threads Installation Wizard


Step 5
Checking all path/url information. Please make sure you have all files uploaded, or you will get false reporing. NOTE: The first 3 might fail if PHP is unable to open files via a URL. If that is the case you may continue to the next step.

phpurl (http://69.50.194.231/~staticg/ubbthreads) UNABLE TO OPEN
images (http://69.50.194.231/~staticg/ubbthreads/images) UNABLE TO OPEN
styledir (http://69.50.194.231/~staticg/ubbthreads/stylesheets) UNABLE TO OPEN
path (/home/staticg/public_html/ubbthreads) PASSED
imagepath (/home/staticg/public_html/ubbthreads/images) PASSED
stylepath (/home/staticg/public_html/ubbthreads/stylesheets) PASSED

One or more of the above checks have failed. You might need to go back and verify your settings.

[/]

Thinking that it might be ok, based on the message, I proceeded anyway, since those paths/urls should be accurate. On the database creation step, I got a couple of errors at the top, then when trying to run the newuser.php script, I get this:

[] Warning: main(/home/staticg/public_html/ubbthreads/languages/english/generic.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/staticg/public_html/ubbthreads/ubbt.inc.php on line 146

Warning: main(): Failed opening '/home/staticg/public_html/ubbthreads/languages/english/generic.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/staticg/public_html/ubbthreads/ubbt.inc.php on line 146

Warning: main(languages/english/newuser.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/staticg/public_html/ubbthreads/newuser.php on line 24[/]

I've triple-checked permissions, and I made a point of being absolutely positive that all non-image files were uploaded in ASCII mode. I know something's not configured right, and it's probably my fault, but I'm not clear what. Anyone able to shed some light on this for me?

If you need to know any information about the environment I'm working in, lemme know what you need and I'll try to provide it. I've been working on this for two days now, and simply don't understand why it's not working when it works perfectly on the old host. I suspect I'm too close to it and may be blinded to what detail(s) are awry.

Sponsored Links
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,369
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,369
I think the URL should be like this:

http://server36.totalchoicehosting.com/~staticg/ubbthreads/

That's what the IP address redirects to when you type it in the browser. Might try using that and see if it helps.

Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 160
Member
Member
Offline
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 160
I'm only using the IP because I'm waiting on DNS propagation for the name server changes. Is this something I should wait to happen, and then try to get the forum functioning?

Edit: I tried using http://server36.totalchoicehosting.com/~staticg/ubbthreads/
but I got the same error, just with that URL rather than the IP based URL.

Last edited by ZealotOnAStick; 09/12/2003 12:01 AM.
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,369
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,369
Well actually if you go there - it looks like you got it installed.

Those may be false errors, but the forum seems ready to use if you go there.

You might need a full URL to your stylesheets to get started. But delete the install.php and createtable.php script then click on new user.

Once you are logged in you can try adjusting the stylesheet URL. Likewise the image URL is wrong (right click on a broken image to see what it's trying to use).

Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 160
Member
Member
Offline
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 160
Meh. I dislike things that provide error messages saying they don't work, when they work.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestion. It was indeed working, and with a little tweaking I got the default install functioning perfectly. I was then able to make note of the paths from the config.inc.php and main.inc.php from that install and modify the files from the installation I was moving, drop the database tables, import the dump of the database from the old host, and everything's working peachy keen now.

Sponsored Links
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,369
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,369
I've seen the false error messages like that when the ~ is in the URL. Must confuse it somehow. Once the domain resolves it probably would have worked.

Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 2,222
Veteran
Veteran
Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 2,222
Not sure you can do an fopen with a ~ in the path, which I think I recall that the install script uses as a check.


Picture perfect penmanship here.
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,369
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,369
yes, I think you're right. Maybe a note in the install doc that some tests may fail if you aren't using the real domain yet.


Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
• Shock Hosting
• Stable Host
• bluehost
• InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Posts: 1,153
Joined: July 2001
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,583
Posts293,955
Members13,825
Most Online151,614
Nov 14th, 2025
Today's Statistics
Currently Online 4364
Topics Created 0
Posts Made 0
Users Online 0
Birthdays 4
Top Posters
AllenAyres 21,080
JoshPet 10,369
LK 7,394
Lord Dexter 6,708
Gizmo 5,834
Greg Hard 4,625
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Likes Received
isaac 82
Gizmo 20
Brett 7
WebGuy 2
Morgan 2
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
The UBB.Developers Network (UBB.Dev/Threads.Dev) is ©2000-2026 VNC Web Services

 
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260108)