Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi - I've been thinking about using a teaser forum and requiring registration to see the full board. But I have 2 questions:

1 - as ordinarily used, does the teaser forum appear for unregistered/not-logged-in in the category it's in, and no other categories are displayed, OR are all the categories displayed, but the ones without the teaser forum don't show the forums?

2 - how hard would it be to set up a teaser forum that shows the last post in each of the other forums? This would be a REAL teaser forum....

Thanks - Tony

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
1 - A teaser forum is just a plain, ordinary forum. Like any other forum, it appears in a single category, and its visibility to Admins, Mods, User, Guests or other groups is determined by whatever you specify in the forum's settings.

2 - I suspect that would be messy to implement. A easier alternative would be an IIP box or IIP Sidebar box. The IIP news box pal could be used as a starting point.

Journeyman
Journeyman
thanks for the response, Dave, and let me clarify a bit:

1 - I'm interested in using a teaser forum for the purpose of letting people who AREN'T registered know a bit about what's available, but letting only registered users see the ordinary forums, and THEY wouldn't see the teaser forum, unless they're not logged in. So I'd set it up the usual way, where only "guests" see the teaser forum, and they don't see anything else! OK? So my first question is, what would show on the main index page for guests? Presumably the category that HAS the teaser forum would show, along with the teaser forum. But would the OTHER categories show, even though their forums don't?

2 - I haven't been inclined to use the IIP boxes because, from what I see, they take a fixed portion of the browser width, and this would conflict with the way I have the main index page laid out (which shows the category descriptions, so that I alter the table widths, as seen in my test board ). But is there a way to use a IIP box (such as the type you suggest) so it only shows up for "guests"? And, secondly (because I'm not familiar with how they work), could I set it up so it would show selected posts, preferably across the entire screen, in much the way that the search results page here shows the subject and then the first part of the post, for those that the search turns up? An alternative that is tiresome would be for me to have some posts in the teaser forum in which I cite selections from the ordinary forums by hand...)

Thanks much - Tony

Addict
Addict
1. A category is only visible if it contains forums that are visible to the user. So in this case, only the category(ies) containing the teaser forum(s) would show up (to an unregistered user).

2. Don't know offhand. It might take some hacking of the IIP to do everything you want. You may want to repost those questions in the Forum Design Integration forum, where the IIP is discussed.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63