Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 10
Newbie
Newbie
Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 10
Just a quick question. I'm running version 6.3.2 and right now have the IIP5.3.1 installed. I also plan on adding the photopost hack when I can afford to buy it. Just wondering with these mods (or any mods) installed, will it be very difficult for me to upgrade when a new version of threads comes out?

Edit: off topic a little, but I also have a problem of user uploaded avatars not being uploaded to my server. I've checked file permissions, the paths and the test file also works. No errors are displayed when uploading, but it just doesn't get there. Any ideas? thanks a bundle!

Last edited by maverick; 09/21/2003 2:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,286
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,286
Most people tend to start afresh on each major release. Minor releases can be easily completed with Beyond Compare to compare the files changed.

There is another thread about uploading avatar problems - that thread might help.


Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,768
Addict
Addict
Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,768
In general, the more hacks you have, the more of a headache it is to do upgrades.

I recommend keeping accurate records on any hacks or other customizations you apply, including which files are added or modified, and what changes are made to the database.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 3,266
Member
Member
Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 3,266
Well the Photopost Hack hacks Photopost not Threads so that will be of little consequence when upgrading.

I like Dave's analysis best the more hacks you have the harder it is to upgrade.

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 213
Member
Member
Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 213
I agree with what Dave said, mostly.

The excellent documentation on hacks that's available here makes upgrading simple, so long as you have a solid record of what you've done. If you don't have to be bleeding edge, just wait a week or few and someone will have tested and documented hacks. Worst case, you have to reapply hacks.

My experience has been that the small tweaks you do to customize your board are harder to recreate, and must be documented thoroughly. For example, I've saved txt files of each template customization I've made - states tmpl name, original code, new code, what the change actually did.

Don't forget, if Infopop support is important to you, there are support restrictions on a hacked board.

Sponsored Links
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,025
Junior Member
Junior Member
Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,025
I'm just going to add that the more times you install a hack, the easier it gets to do. And, if you do everything on a test board first, you don't have to worry about messing up your live board.

Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 528
Junior Member
Junior Member
Offline
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 528
I have since about version 3 or so written "enhancements" instead of hacks. Files that went alongside Threads, but did not change the code "too" much.

This has been MUCH easier to accomplish since templates were introduced, as I typically have all extraneous pages simply linked in my templates, and since they are rarely written over, it makes it easier on upgrades.

My Calendar hack is the only one I am dreading for this next release. The long-time calendar hack is very different than the soon-to-be-released Calendar hack, and I have become very comfortable with the hacked version.


Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
• Shock Hosting
• Stable Host
• bluehost
• InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Posts: 1,153
Joined: July 2001
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,583
Posts293,955
Members13,825
Most Online151,614
Nov 14th, 2025
Today's Statistics
Currently Online 2578
Topics Created 0
Posts Made 0
Users Online 0
Birthdays 3
Top Posters
AllenAyres 21,080
JoshPet 10,369
LK 7,394
Lord Dexter 6,708
Gizmo 5,834
Greg Hard 4,625
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Likes Received
isaac 82
Gizmo 20
Brett 7
WebGuy 2
Morgan 2
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
The UBB.Developers Network (UBB.Dev/Threads.Dev) is ©2000-2026 VNC Web Services

 
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260108)