Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#263351 11/23/2003 10:07 PM
Lurker
Lurker
Just installed MySql on my local machinf ro playing around with UBB Threads. It APPEARS to have installed but when I start winsqlmyadmin I cannot create or drop tables.

I can create tables from the command line using create command.

And...when I try to verify the UBB Threads install it bombs out at the database setting.

Step 3
Here we are checking your database connectivity and permissions. If any of these checks fail you will need to correct the errors in order to proceed.
Connecting to server FAILED
Connecting to database FAILED
One or more of the above checks failed. Click the button below to return to the previous screen to verify your settings.

UBB.threads Installation Wizard

Step 2
This next step consists of gathering the database information. You will need to know the server the mysql engine is running on, the database name, the username, and the password if necessary.
Database server localhost
Database name ubbthreads
Database user xxxxxxxxxx
Database password xxxxxxxxx
Tablename prefix (no spaces)

Any ideas or suggestions

Sponsored Links
Kahuna
Kahuna
What you can do is install phpMyAdmin on your local box and put the correct username/password information for your localhost. Then go to the mysql database and browse through the users table. Have a look what your .threads user has access to (especially the Index, Drop and Create options). Editing the record to have those values to yes and then issue the command:

FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

to update the permissions of the users.

Nikos
Hi there, I'm having a similar error with my installation. Just installed MySql on my local machine and when running install.php I get to step 3 with the following errors:

Here we are checking your database connectivity and permissions. If any of these checks fail you will need to correct the errors in order to proceed.
Connecting to server FAILED
Connecting to database FAILED
One or more of the above checks failed. Click the button below to return to the previous screen to verify your settings.

The following is the info that I entered on Step 2
This next step consists of gathering the database information. You will need to know the server the mysql engine is running on, the database name, the username, and the password if necessary.
Database server localhost
Database name ubbthreads
Database user xxxxxxxxxx
Database password xxxxxxxxx
Tablename prefix (no spaces)w3t_

I can access the database from the command line fine, so I know it exists and that the username and password are correct. Pleaser help. thanks.
CoralineSage

Addict
Addict
Have you tried user root with no password?

Hi, thanks for replying. Yes, I have just tried root with no password and I still get the same message.

On Mysql I entered GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON UBBthreads.* to []user@localhost[/] IDENTIFIED BY 'userpass' WITH GRANT OPTION;

so I tried:
user + userpass
[]user@localhost[/] + userpass
root + rootpass (my root password)
root with no password

I also tried no user name or password (left both fields blank) and also tried my user as apache with no password since my httpd runs as apache.

please help

Sponsored Links
gotta be a hiccup in the mysql

Where are you granting the permissions from command line or the mysqladmin.exe

command line

Actually it was a problem with PHP config file. I fixed it, went through a few other steps and then got to create table.php page (I think since I can't back track my steps) and I got a whole bunch of errors like:

SQL ERROR: Unable to do_query: SELECT U_Username,U_Password,U_SessionId, U_StyleSheet, U_Status, U_Privates, U_FrontPage, U_Number, U_Banned FROM w3t_Users WHERE U_Number = ''
Table 'UBBthreads.w3t_Users' doesn't exist
Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/ubbthreads/mysql.inc.php on line 133

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/ubbthreads/mysql.inc.php:219) in /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/ubbthreads/ubbt.inc.php on line 269

What am I missing now?

Thanks
Chrys

Table 'UBBthreads.w3t_Users' doesn't exist
This indicates that your users table didn't get created for some reason. Try starting from scratch. Since you have the php issue out of the way, it should go pretty smoothly.

Hi Slayer, thanks for replying, but how exactly do I start it from scratch? I tried going to "install.php" again but it tells me somehting like "it's already been installed".

Plus, I don't think any of the tables got created at all since my database folder is still empty...

Anyhow, let me know when you can. I really appreciate your help.

coraline

Sponsored Links
Hi All, actually, I restarted (run install.php from scratch) by commenting out some of the PHP code from install.php, unfortunately, after "step 6" where it says you're now ready to create the tables, I get the same error

help?
thanks
coraline

Hi again I'm actually pretty good for now. I figured some other stuff out.

thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

coraline

Ok, more glitches....everytime I create a new user I get the following message:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: mail() in /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/ubbthreads/admin/...

I also get a similar error message when I tried to "send mail to all users". It sounds like my mail server connection wasn't set up, but I don't remember having had to set that up...i.e., it wasn't one of the steps.

I can make the edits on whatever file I shoould if necessary, can someone just point me in the right direction?

Thanks again!
coraline

Veteran
Veteran
You'll find your mail setup in php.ini, wherever that may be on your machine

Picture perfect penmanship here.
Hi Navaho, thanks for replying. I set my SMTP on php.ini to my SMTP IP address but I still get the same error message, i.e. call to undefined function mail()...

any ideas?

thanks

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63