Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#266032 01/04/2004 11:11 AM
Kel
Forgive me for asking what I am sure is a repeat question, but when I did a search for keywords, I just kept getting a listing of Latest Threads instead of the keywords I was looking for.

What I need is a hack that will sort through all of my members and tell me which usernames registered with or are using the same IP#.

Thank you in advance and again, I apologize for the redundancy.

Sponsored Links
Kel
Bump.

I realize that there is this option in the search function in the admin control panel but it is only useful if you already have an IP address to search for. I would like something that doesn't require a known IP.

Anyone?

Addict
Addict
Not exactly what you're looking for, but you might want to look at this hack and search for "multiple identity detector".

It shouldn't be a problem to come up with a mysql query that does what you want. You could run it via the sql-command window. Isn't that comfortable, but it should do what you want.

Kel
Thank you for the reply Astaran... ... I don't think that's going to do what I want but I'll see if I can't force the issue...

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
If you are proficient at porting scripts, I have an 'IP Search' hack in Perl, that adds the option for Admins/Mods to search IP's. It returns all the usernames that belong to that IP. MUCH easier to use than the lame Reg IP search we now have which requires you to remove all the "." periods, etc. []http://www.the-highway.com/Smileys/rolleyes.gif[/]

You would have to decide if it would work for you. I haven't ported it over as I know virtually nothing about PHP.. sorry.

Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!
Sponsored Links
Kel
Jeff... thank you but I'm about as proficient at porting scripts as you are at PHP... I guess I'll just have to figure something else out.

Thanks again!

The hack posted above works with showing all users who use a certain IP.

There is an EXTENDED USER OPTIONS hack which has a IP view of all IP's a user has posted by and their registration IP

https://www.ubbdev.com/forum/showflat...rev=#Post102092

I do not know what to think about the crack about the periods in IP's as its the standard on the internet.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
[]I do not know what to think about the crack about the periods in IP's as its the standard on the internet.[/]
Well, I don't know what you are to think about it either, but all I know is that NEVER, EVER have I had to remove "." periods from an IP to do a search or for anything, for that matter, e.g., ping, tracert, etc. And the IP search I had on my Perl Board certainly didn't balk at periods either. Ironically, you can do a search from within the Admin "Show/Edit Users" in 6.4 and that doesn't require the removal of periods. So, I guess I don't know what to think about your not knowing what to think! []http://www.the-highway.com/Smileys/rofl.gif[/]

BTW... that same Search utility in the "Profile Index" doesn't like ANYTHING other than letters or numbers. People who have usernames like: John_smith are rejected. So, you either have to search for: John, smith or Johnsmith.

Thanks for the link! But some really great guy already installed that hack on my Board.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I don't know what you mean about having to remove periods. You don't need to remove periods to search for IP addresses from the admin menu of threads.

Who told you to remove periods?

6.4 with periods works just fine, as it just does a search/match for whatever you enter there.

You can also use % as a wildcard.

I just searched now for 66.82.% and it pulled up all members registerd from those IP addresses.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Josh,

There is an obvious bit of confuuuuuuuuuuuusion here! The need to remove "." periods and all other non-letter or number characters is in the "Profile Index" search of the IIP page.

As I stated to Omegatron, the irony is that you can do an IP search, and with the "%" wildcard in the Admin "Show/Edit Users" utility, which you also pointed out above.

Jeff

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Mmmmkay. I don't think anyone but you knew that we were talking about IIP.

Yeah, looks like a but with that. Never knew about it.

I use the hacks listed above along with the verify user registration hack. It shows previous users and a quicky search for ips built in when folks register. These aren't perfect by themselves but together it usually will flush out offender and allow you to track down there other hidden names.
I think a whos online tracking ip would probably be the next thing to help track a ip address. haven't seen this one yet but I know its there to see.

LOL Yeah we are talking Threads here Jeff.

Now concerning IIP that is not a bug. I just looked at the profile index. There is no IP search to begin with. Thus Jeff is trying to do something the search was never designed to do.

IIP's profile search works in the following way.

Search Email Title Hobbies Bio Username
name Occupation Location ICQ Status

Boolean (AND, OR, NOT) and Wild Card * searches allowed.

You have to click one of the boxes to preform a search on and type a phrase or number. IP is not one of the boxes.

Now back to the IP search. This feature is in the show/edit user's function. You can search for IP's via the admin feature everyone is talking about. However the two hacks posted above further its dynamic 500percent as Marty has pointed out.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63