Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#268813 02/06/2004 11:41 PM
What kind of pitfall should I expect if I move to a new host?
Is it possible to swap site without sending files to my home computer? With a dial up this is not a real option, but will have cable modem in a couple weeks.

Leaning towards OLM right now with a shared server plan.. thanks for the heads up on this one omega. They say a shared server I won't notice the others on the server?

I know very little about what terms like raid and burst are for a server. Should I go read up on these?

Thanks for any input

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
If you have shell access, you can FTP stuff from one computer to the other. That's really the best way.

I have had no problems with OLM and they are reliable and fast.

I think I have shell acess but it would be like letting a 4 year old play with matches at the gasoline station.

Anybody want some business?

Old Hand
Old Hand
Well if it's a shared server all you really need to do is then install the new version of threads install the mods you have instaled and then copy over the database. A 4 year old could even do that.

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
You have less than a 1000 posts, moving should be relatively painless. *IF* you are moving from a Unix™/Linux™ server running Apache™, to the same or similar, you should be able to do the tar function. If you yourself cannot or do not have access to such things, your webhost should be able to do it for you. This is the Unix™/Linux™ equivalent to zipping the files on a Windows™ based server. Which brings me to the next suggestion, if you are on a Windows ™ (NT/Win2000) they can zip all your files, and backup your db, and drop it all into one nice lil package via winzip, then your new host can open it and restore your site relatively easy. (famous last words)

As for a hosting suggestion, you can of course try Infopop (I use them and all runs smoothly) or if you wish to go elsewhere, you can try Hosting4less.com, I've used them for several years for a high traffic site I own (1,000,000 pageviews or more each month) and have had no problems.

- Custom Web Development
http://www.JCSWebDev.com
Marty yes olm has SSH access. If you need help moving things you can contact me.

chuck I think I have josh lined up for the move. I want to get his search engine mod working on the site. Do you know if the shared servers allow this one at olm?

Old Hand
Old Hand
Josh's search engine mod is changed in the code of Threads so if they allow threads thern they HAVE to allow his code.. Its not based on the mod rewrite method.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Looks like Marty is going to be coming on board with My Webhosting ( www.threadshosting.com ) so we'll definately have no troubles getting threads working at peak efficiency or the SEO mod.

Sponsored Links
well marty your question was mute if your going with Josh's webhosting LOL

Yes the seo works fine with olm.net

Marty is Josh cutting you are big break or something? From looking at the pricing structure ( not trying to down Josh ) I have no idea why you would spent that amount of money. I mean NO DISK SPACE which is key and limited this and that when you get unlimited for less money.

I mean lets compare here

Threads hosting package 2

Package 2 - $20 per Month
- 200 MB Storage Space
- 20 GB/Month Traffic
- 2 MySQL Databases
- 2 FTP Accounts
- Unlimited Email Accounts
- Unlimited Email Forwards
- 2 Email Lists
- CGI Access
- Frontpage Extensions
- Shell Access

Comparable account at OLM

Web Hosting Plans S-500
Monthly Fee $19.49
Time Set-up Fee* $20.00
Unique IP Yes
Traffic/Month 20 GB
RAID Disk Space 500 MB
FTP 30
Mysql Unlimited
SSH Yes
Anonymous FTP Yes
Sub/Parked Domain Hosting 10
DNS Management 10
Referrer Logs Yes
POP Email 150

I mean thats what I never understood here. Granted I am not going to start off rambling out names but there is something known as resellers. Which obviously is what Josh and others do. However while they get a discount from the big guys like OLM.net etc. The pricing or features usually never measure up when comparing them to parent companies

Old Hand
Old Hand
well the real difference I guess is, is that some of the resellers will maintain things for you a little where the big parent companies just say.. Here now use and don't call us...

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Yes, my "plans" didn't go high enough for him.... so we've done a custom plan for him matching everything he would have gotten there.

Scoungr LOL your too funny. What you dont understand is the resellers when things are down still gotta call the big guys and they have to fix it as it is still the big guys servers

My comments are based on what Marty was looking for and not even knowing Josh was into reselling now and seeing his plans and me being a long time OLM customer trying to figure out what was going on. I mean the ones Josh adverstised did not even come close to the features he was looking at

But alas I see Josh cut his a deal.

Old Hand
Old Hand
I don't know Omego I have YET to call evr1 for anything since the initial signup and request of additional IP's. I have been able to upgrade everything myself and reboot as neccessary. I am hosting 3 other domains on my site also.

I don't call my host either as I have full control and host two domains.

All I am saying is that is something goes wrong on a reseller account the call is going to take place to the same place whether you make the call or the reseller makes the call after you call them and say my site is down. Your site is still hosted on Jack's server although you may buy from Jane.

Old Hand
Old Hand
yeah but say I was to resell. I would have them call ME not every1's. I would take care of the problem unless the server burned up in a fire.

Well if the server is in California and your in Virginia you aint gonna fix nothing LOL

Old Hand
Old Hand
Software I can. Hardware I can't. and as I said if I am the reseller I would rather them call me and I call every1...

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I don't have reseller accounts, I have 3 colocated servers in a data center. 2 in Virginia and one in Texas. That way I can back them up to each other and they are spread around the country.

Mine are totally unmanaged, so as long as there's power to the box and the hardward functions, all the management is on me.

Many other folks are not ready for unmanaged servers as they can't do kernel upgrades and software updates on their own, so they need to buy space from someone.

I also manage 2 additional servers for one of my clients. That way they can use unmanaged hosting and let me handle all the stuff they don't know about.

It takes me many many hours a month to keep the systems current, secure and functioning their best.

Old Hand
Old Hand
I know how ya feel Josh I have an unmanaged also

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I like it. I wasn't ready for it out of the gate - so I used RackSpace, but now that I can do most of that stuff myself. My sites are on that server as well as my clients, so I'd rather depend on me rather than outside support.

Got ya Hell if you drive up to Virginia you can come see Michael and I

Old Hand
Old Hand
and stop by my house in Richmond for some good Steak

Making the move tonight and tomorrow.. fingers and toes crossed it doesn't create two months work to get it back to speed So far so good..

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Yup - everything is moved and up and running... just need to wait for the DNS.

Things are running excellent and thanks to Josh for the hard work in making my move possible.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63