Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#269605 02/19/2004 1:44 PM
For some reason users are not receiving passwords when they register and when they request. I am using 6.4 and getting no error messages when the email is sent, it just says it sent it. Here is my phpinfo if it helps any, thanks. http://www.vhfans.com/phpinfo.php

Sponsored Links
For clarification I also tried the following suggestions from a thread that Josh replied to over at ubbcentral but I am still having this problem. I also confirmed that I have an unmodified version of start_page.php.

[]
Is this your server? Or shared hosting?

- If it's shared hosting, you wont' have much control over it. Ask your host if PHP can send mail using the mail() function.

- Make sure you've filled in a valid email address on your server in the email setting in your config file.

- Try adjusting the config setting for the [][email protected][/] setting (under Special functions/Misc Settings) in the config file. As stated, some server setups need this.

- If it's your server, verify the email settings in the php.ini file for your PHP installation. This varies depending on server type (windows, *nix etc...) Basically that file contains either a path to sendmail or the address of a SMTP server.

Beyond that - you'd probably need to post some more specifics and/or open a ticket with some details from your mail logs to track down what's happening.
[/]

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Everything looks good in your php.ini file. Not sure exactly.

You might actually need to track into your server logs to find out what's happening to the mail.

You can try a simple little script like this to check if the mail() function works on your PHP install. If not, then something is fu-bared there.

Code
<br /><?<br />$body = "Test";<br />$subject = "Test Mail";<br />$to = "[email protected]";<br />$from = "[email protected]";<br /><br />$result = mail($to,$subject,$body,"From: $from\r\n");<br /><br />if ($result) {<br />	echo "it worked";<br />} else {<br />	echo "it didn't work";<br />}<br />?>

Okay, That works Josh, I couldn't find anything in the error logs either but I have narrowed it down to AOL. For some reason it doesn't even bother to send to an aol address. I will inform users of this and install the send password mod so I can get this guy back on. Thanks for the help

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Are AOL users getting it - in the Spam/Junk box? Or will your server not send to aol.com

Reason I ask - another client had me make a little popup for their new registration page. This is what it said:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/aolpopup.php

Sponsored Links
Good call Josh, I will post that in my feedback forum. I checked my aol test email through my web browser and it didn't show it even in the spam folder but maybe it's different in the aol application itself. I will check it out, thanks.

Some people who aren't on aol still aren't getting confirmations for some reason but my cpanel was kind enough to send me this email

Note: If this is the first time you recieved this mail, it contains the history for the entire month so far.

Below are the recently upload scripts that contain code to send email. You may wish to inspect them to ensure they are not sending out SPAM.

/home/vhfansco/public_html/boards/ubbt.inc.php:209: if ($config['fifth_mail']) {
/home/vhfansco/public_html/boards/ubbt.inc.php:210: mail("$to","$subject","$body","From: $from{$newline}{$bcc}$headers","-f{$config['emailaddy']}");
/home/vhfansco/public_html/boards/ubbt.inc.php:211: } else {
---
/home/vhfansco/public_html/boards/ubbt.inc.php:212: mail("$to","$subject","$body","From: $from{$newline}{$bcc}$headers");
/home/vhfansco/public_html/boards/ubbt.inc.php:213: }
---
/home/vhfansco/public_html/boards/ubbt.inc.php:209: if ($config['fifth_mail']) {
/home/vhfansco/public_html/boards/ubbt.inc.php:210: mail("$to","$subject","$body","From: $from{$newline}{$bcc}$headers","-f{$config['emailaddy']}");
---
/home/vhfansco/public_html/boards/ubbt.inc.php:212: mail("$to","$subject","$body","From: $from{$newline}{$bcc}$headers");
/home/vhfansco/public_html/boards/ubbt.inc.php:213: }

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Yeah, cpanel alerts you to any scripts uploaded to your server which send out email - so if you were running a hosting biz you can check those scripts and make sure that the account/customer isn't sending spam.

Ahh, well I suppose that's a good thing then

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
AllenAyres
AllenAyres
Texas
Forum Statistics
Forums63