Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I'm with Surpass (4GB disk, 35GB transfer, no file limits), a friend is with HostDime. My community is 3500+ and growing and UBB.threads performs very well.

Surpass Hosting

HostDime

It's been 3 months and so far no regrets. Hope this helps some of you in your quest for an inexpesive but reliable host.

fyi,

Jason
FlightAttendants.org

Sponsored Links
Sky, Surpass seems to have some of the best prices I've seen. For someone like me who has a few dozen domains, the reseller package is a big plus.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi...was just looking at surpass, at your suggestion, and noticed it comes with something named "scripta", which - when I click on it - lists all kinds of software, including, for example, discussion board software called "Invision". I don't understand what this list of software is...I can't believe that all this stuff comes with the package. Maybe it just means all these are written in, or compatible with, scripta.

Can someone help me with this question?

Thanks - Tony

PS: turns out I have another question...most of the email stuff at the site refers to webmail, BUT in passing it comments on using an email client, so I guess that it can be accessed as pop3, and that you can send email from your client as well (i.e., to an smtp server, I guess it's called)! Seem right?

PPS I also notice it comes with cpanel as the user interface...seems to have everything one needs, but what do people think of it?

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Cpanel? Been using it for years. Great.

Scripta? That's just an installer for various different softwares such as the invision board, phpnuke, etc. The host (whomever it is) usually do not provide any support. They provide scripta (aka Fantastico) solely as a convenience for you. Do you need scripta to install the other software? No. Those software are all free programs available on the internet and most have their own install script. Again, the host that has scripta only provides this as a convenience, mainly for novice webmasters. Drawback? Biggest one is you don't know which version of software you are installing until you've already installed them. Really no big deal though.

Webmail: You should have a POP3 with any account. You can use Outlook, Netscape Mail, Eudora, etc., are all mail clients usually ran off your main PC or Mac, etc. Webmail is just so you can go anywhere in the world and access your email using any browser such as IE, NN, Mozilla, etc.

Hi, really sorry guys... forgot I posted this here and didn't check for replies. Still no regrets using Surpass. Ditto everything fishtails said.

Hey if you sign up pls. let them know that flightattendants.org referred you.. I might get some sorta pat on the back or something from them *grin*

Sky

Sponsored Links
Further to that, this should answer any questions you have about the company:

http://www.surmunity.com/showthread.php?t=3410

Umm... space and bandwidth just doubled and the price hasn't gone up. I'm guessing these guys wanna take on the world. Works for me, so long as they stay reliable!

http://surpasshosting.com

Sky, gotta say I am just about floored by the space and bandwidth I would get for the price.

I am paying $15 a month (pay yearly) for 1GB of space right now and 20GB Bandwidth.

That would afford me an absolute ton of space. How has service been so far? I am going to read up on this...

Old Hand
Old Hand
yeah been eyeing this myself...

Pro
Space- 10000MB
Bandwidth- 100GB
EMail- Unlimited
cPanel X9.1- Yes
Scripta- Yes

Monthly- $14.99
Yearly- $165
More Details

I don't know, every time I have come close to the limits that are offered on a shared plan everything either slows to a crawl or stops working. Deals like this can be good if you don't intend on utilizing all the space and BW offered, just my experience.

Sponsored Links
Eric, that is what I am concerned about. I would be going the reseller route as that is how I am set up now (I manage a number of sites for family/friends).

Reading through their support forums now to see what type of issues they are having, etc.

Some are definitely better than others, as I starting picking up traffic I moved to vertexhost.com and found it to be way better than any of the other shared plans I had. I eventually out grew it and got a dedicated box, I would hate to be in a position of hosting multiple sites, it sounds like a stressful job

LOL that's the kicker, it has nothing to do with my job. Just a hobby that is getting out of hand!

I'm a friggin Project Manager, have plenty of certifications, just none of them have to do with anything internet!

Medar,

Well there's a 90 day money back guarantee now instead of 30, so they must be pretty confident they have a good product.

I'm still happy with them, if that's what you are asking. If you do sign up to try them, would you mind mentioning flightattendants.org as the referrer? After 3 sign ups I get a month free - nothing to write home about, but never look a gift horse in the mouth!

Jason

Actually put you on there before you posted this

I am testing them out...figure if I like em after a couple months of stress test, will pay a yearly fee and be done with it.

Hey Medar,

How are they working out for you so far?

Yeah, are we still liking this host? They have a cool special on june 5-7th. I might consider this...

Journeyman
Journeyman
I got a Dual Xeon 2.4Ghz with 2GB Memory from them about 2 weeks ago. And I'm about to colocate 2 of my other servers over to them. So far I'm happy... havent had enough time to test the stress of hits yet but everyone i've talked to hasn't had many problems. I had a couple bugs with CPanel/Scripta at first but they fixed it in about 30 min... and that was 4 in the morning.

Power User
Power User
I spent a couple of hours at www.webhostingtalk.com after using their search feature, looking up posts on Surpasshosting. Seems they have had some major problems in the past.

Please keep us updated. They have my interest if I ever decide to change hosts and maybe take the plunge into reselling to pay for my own bandwidth.

If anyone is looking to jump hosts, you might consider TekAdvantange. http://www.tekadvantage.com
We have been using them for more than a year and have been quite pleased. We use one of their reseller accounts for our hosting. It doesn't even feel like a shared server since we have access to WHM and C-Panel both. Their support is through their message board, and a support ticket system. They have great response time and issues are usually resolved very quickly. They're always Johnny on the spot when an issue arises. 2 hours is the longest I've ever had to wait for a response, and it is usually less than a half an hour for response and resolution. If they are having any problems tracking down a problem that always keep you updated.

*crosses fingers and hopes that the there isn't a repeat of the events following my last web host endorsement.

Old Hand
Old Hand
I started using surpass and am leaving them one week later.. the server speed was pitiful and the fact it took em 48 hrs to answer a question on whether I could get shell access to import the hamweather database.. well.. I will keep looking

Old Hand
Old Hand
I have an issue with

CPU: Intel P4 2.4
RAM: 512MB
Hard Drive: 80GB IDE or 18GB SCSI
Bandwidth: 300GB
IP's: 5
Operating System: Red Hat Linux 8.0
$215/Month
$200 One Time Setup
Order

cause I can get the same at rat shack for 158$ a month
and they provide 1000GB bandwidth

Last edited by scroungr; 06/11/2004 8:21 PM.
Power User
Power User
My webhost is renting a server from a reseller on the www.gnax.net network. I'm looking at servers from www.tranxactglobal.com which is owned by Gnax. They've had good reviews almost all the way around. The prices might be a little more expensive, but I think they would be worth it.

http://www.tranxactglobal.com/dedicatedservers.php

Addict
Addict
I recommend Hosting4less.com, I used them for 4 or 5 years and had no problems. Had a busy site there, did 1,000,000 pageviews and up each month.

- Custom Web Development
http://www.JCSWebDev.com
Sky, I use surpasshosting and have been very happy with them thus far. I don't run my forums through them though, so I still haven't checked them out from the "MySql + 150 simultaneous users" angle.

I believe that they're connected to Host Dime in some way as they appear to use the same data center and their web sites are too similar for it to be a coincidence.

Old Hand
Old Hand
alot of the hosts use ratshack errrr ever1snet as their datacenter. they buy a dedicated box from them for 160$ a month and this gives them dual xeon, 1Gig Ram, (2) 80 gig hard drives and then they segment that and resell it to you for 30$ a month or so

Actually I wouldn't mind a decent host that runs their server with ratshack just as long as it's a Dual Xeon. I'm about to go with hostdime.com but I'm not entirely sure I'm doing the right thing if their high-bandwidth reseller packages run on P4 2.4 machines.

If anyone here wants to split a dualxeon server at servermatrix between 2-4 people then I'm all ears just as long as I'm not the one dealing with SM. Last time I couldn't ever get my domains to work...

Old Hand
Old Hand
I had a dedicated server with Ratshack er evr1snet for the lopngest time. I notced no performance difference between the P4 2.4 and the Dual Xeon... But that was me...

[]scroungr said:
I started using surpass and am leaving them one week later.. the server speed was pitiful and the fact it took em 48 hrs to answer a question on whether I could get shell access to import the hamweather database.. well.. I will keep looking [/]

Wow, good news to report, fellas! Just made a technical inquiry with them and got a response in 4 minutes... on Sunday! But the real good news is that apparently all their servers are now Dual Xeons.

Either way, I'll be giving them a go within the next couple of days so hopefully I'll be able to report as a "veteran" soon.

Just wanted to add my experience with surpass.

I signed up with them on april 13th and paid by credit card through 2checkout... on the 15th I recieved a notice by email that my order was cancelled. They didn't even give me a reason. So I started a support ticket at surpass. A day later they say that I need to contact 2checkout. So I call them and they say that surpass cancelled the order. So they write an email to surpass and copy me in asking them to resolve the situation.

Surpass then emails me back a day later asking what domain I registered. I reply and a day after that they say they can't find my account and ask me for all my information... I send that --- Then two days after that surpass writes me back and says that 2checkout found the order to be fraud so I should talk to them... I used a credit card that is in my name and my address... I spoke with 2checkout today and they said to try running my card through the site again... No thanks, what a waste of time...

I found a host with some good prices --- www.hostgator.com

space = 5 gigs, bandwidth = 50 gigs, price = 9.95 month

space = 10 gigs, bandwidth = 100 gigs, price = 14.95 month

includes unlimited email addys, domains, subdomains, ftp accounts, mySQL databases... And cpanel!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849