Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#270175 02/29/2004 2:30 PM
Is there any way to give a defined group the powers of a Moderator for all forums?

I used to have a UBB Classic, and there was a modification there for a "Megamod." A megamod could move, edit and delete posts in all topics, without being an administrator.

Is there a way to achieve this result in threads?

I've made a group called "megamods," and they have access to a private forum, but can no longer edit posts in all files.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old Hand
Old Hand

234234 #270177 02/29/2004 3:05 PM
Seems to be just what I need. Thanks so much.

Ok, I installed it, but unfortunately it does not do what I want.

I created a U_Group called "megamoderator." I want them to have moderator powers in all forums. I cannot figure out how modify admin/menu.php and admin/chooseforum.php to enable me to do this. Their administration panel does not give them access to moderate all forums, only those they are also listed as a moderator of.

An alternative way would be to specifically list them as moderators of all forums. I imagine there would be a query for this? But then, I would prefer to have their names hidden and not visible on the forum main page, because it would make it too crowded.

Can anyone help me please?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
That would be very difficult. The moderator access has nothing to do at all with the U_Groups field - the check is made against U_Status - if U_Status = "Moderator" then they have moderator powers.

The trouble is that just about Every script does a check against this for some reason. Right now the only status settings are User, Administrator and Moderator. If you wanted to make a 4th classification "MegaModerator" you'd need to modify just about every script to include it in the moderator check. Then most scripts like the edit post scripts and such, still verify that the moderator is assigned to that forum. So there's one more check against the w3t_Moderators table.

Way too much hassle for what it's worth. Just assign the mega-mod to every forum. Don't do that with a query. One click and you'll be set. Admin->Assign Moderator - pick the username and select all the forums. Done.

What could be done, you could add a field to the w3t_Moderators field, call it "hidden", then in ubbthreads.php where it does the query to grab the list of moderators from each forum - have it exclude the name if it's tagged as "hidden".

Sponsored Links
Daine #270180 02/29/2004 8:56 PM
I think your last suggestion is perfect. Would it be too much trouble for you to spell it out in more simple language that a php non-guru could understand? Thanks so much!

In MySQL, I added the field named Mod_hidden, type (int)9, Null No to w3t_Moderators.

Am I getting warm?

If so, what to I add to ubbthreads.php to grap the list of invisible moderators from each forum?

I'm assuming I would in MySQL mark the hidden column for those I want to have appear invisible.

Thank you for any help here.

Wouldn't it be easier to remove moderators from your hidden forums so they can't see them. Then add them to mod all forums.

Kelly #270183 03/01/2004 5:41 PM
Didnt realize I could use the cntrl key to select more than one forum for the mods... My crew just got upgraded. Thanks for the tip josh.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Yes you are warm.

Now any moderators you don't want to show - for example, put a "1" in your new field.

Now in ubbthreads.php - look for this query:

Code
<br />  	   SELECT t1.Mod_Board,t1.Mod_Uid,t2.U_Username<br />  	   FROM   {$config['tbprefix']}Moderators AS t1,<br />				 {$config['tbprefix']}Users AS t2<br />		WHERE t1.Mod_Uid = t2.U_Number<br />

And alter it to exclue the mods where Mod_hidden = 1 like this:
'
Code
<br />  	   SELECT t1.Mod_Board,t1.Mod_Uid,t2.U_Username<br />  	   FROM   {$config['tbprefix']}Moderators AS t1,<br />				 {$config['tbprefix']}Users AS t2<br />		WHERE t1.Mod_Uid = t2.U_Number<br />                AND t1.Mod_hidden != 1<br />

Untested, but I think that'll do it.

Sponsored Links
Daine #270185 03/01/2004 7:59 PM
Thanks so much! Worked like a charm!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Bill B
Bill B
Issaquah, WA
Forum Statistics
Forums63