Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#271308 03/22/2004 7:11 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
OK, I read a little bit from the tune thread but thought I might start a new one with my settings.
I didn't realize it but my host overwrites my my.cnf file everytime a config is run, it generates a new my.cnf file, they said I could make it perminate though if I wanted so maybe that is part of my problem, I had no idea that happened.
I have a dedicated linix server, pent III I think with 2 gig of ram, any ideas on what I should change in my.cnf, here are my current settings, like I said above, I guess they have been changing.

# custom vars
set-variable = max_connections=1500
set-variable = join_buffer=1M
num_logs = 28
backup_schedule = 0 2 * * *
updatemode = serial
set-variable = sort_buffer=2M
set-variable = thread_cache_size=50
ns_crit = 1425
server-id = 19976
set-variable = table_cache=3000
set-variable = key_buffer=256M
set-variable = max_connect_errors=10000
set-variable = max_allowed_packet=1M
ns_warn = 1200
set-variable = tmp_table_size=128M
set-variable = record_buffer=2M

Sponsored Links
You're going to have experiment with it - probably not the answer you wanted. Also, what versions of everything are you running (OS, php, MySQL, Threads); and is anything else on your server using MySQL?

It'd also help to do uptime on the server and see if it's getting hammered; and post the results of show processlist in the Threads admin SQL command panel (you have to type it in and run it). Finally, how many average and peak users do you have?

I'd suggest making one change at a time and see what happens. Make change, stop and start MySQL, observe.

I'd start by dropping the max_connections to like 200.

Try upping key_buffer to 512.

If I'm not mistaken your table_cache is set higher than your RAM, which if I understand correctly means it'd have to hit swap space. I hope a MySQL/Linux guru can help with that, but I would lower it to like half of your RAM. You have it at 3000MB (= 3GB) and you have 2GB RAM - set it to 1024 or even 768.

I have bene playing with ours quite a bit, Jeremy's thread was extraordinarily helpful but I had to keep fishing and experimenting. Ours is running much better, but I need a few days of consistent performance to state that we have it nailed.

JoshPet #271310 03/23/2004 12:49 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Thanks, going to play around and see what happens, I'm on a managed dedicated server so I don't have true root access, waiting for them to make my changes is a drag, have to see if I can change that.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63