Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#272088 04/08/2004 1:44 PM
We recently banned a user of our forum, but today I noticed something weird. The user had a static IP, so I banned the IP as well as their username, and thought that was that. Well, within the last couple of days I've noticed this user show up on our "Whos Online" page, as "checking their My Home", or "viewing Forums"...but I just wrote it off as them just clicking the menu links and the board showing them as following those actions, except they get the "you've been banned yada yada yada" screen.

Well, today, the user popped up today, and it showed them as "Reading a post in flat mode" which I take to mean that the user has actually made it to a thread and is viewing it.

Now, my question: how did this user accomplish this? can I combat this somehow?? or, am I way off base???

Sponsored Links
That just means he's reading a post, probably nothing more. From what I have seen, after banning them they still surf the board under that name as normal. They just don't have the ability to post, read PM's or anythying else that a registered user can do.

Hmmm...I was under the impression that no matter WHERE they tried to travel, that they got the "you have been banned" screen and that was it. Guess that's what assuming gets ya!

I have never been on that side of it so you could very well be right Even then, if they hit a post and got the access denied message, they would still show up as "Reading a post in flat mode" because in the Who's Online page it only looks at the title of the page they are on.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Banned usernames can't do anything - but the who's online screen shows their location (what script they are viewing) even though they aren't really seeing anything - instead they see an error - "you have been banned...."

Users banned by IP can still browse and do everything - just not post. That's because the process to perform the check if every IP is banned on every page would slow things down. So this check is only performed when making a post.

Chevy - if they have a fixed IP address -, you have CPanel, it's easy ban them through your web hosting control panel. Then they won't know what hit them. Click on "IP Deny Manager".

Sponsored Links
Ahh, geesh...forgot about that, Josh! That's why you get paid the big bucks!! LOL!!! Thanks...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63