Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
located at the top of the forum where moderators could sit out certain posters for a certain number of minutes?

I know all the negative aspects of such a mod, but still think it would be pretty dang funny.

Sponsored Links
Coder
Coder
I second this mod. It could also include the names of the "most recently baned users". ROFL

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
we implemented a form of that. i created a forum called 'Alcatraz', tied it to a specific user group and throw them in for whatever duration.

we don't allow normal users to post in there.. just the inmates and mods.

it provides some interesting dialog and the users get to watch the cat fights.

That's a pretty cool idea, sirdude.

i have a whole forum for that, i call it "Flame Forum"

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Doesn't this spill over into the main forums? What I mean is if you put two people in a no-holds-barred forum like this they will likely flame each other vigirously. I would imagine that this will seriously sour their relationship, so when you allow them back into the main forums again, do they keep sniping / flaming each other?

I have considered a forum like this before, but the above concern has so far kept me from doing it.

Instead I have build up a bit of a reputation of reacting strongly against flames (you get one warning, if you are lucky), which seems to work quite well. I don't have to ban more than a few people a year (excluding the usual trolls etc).

Sanuk!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
ksanuk,

from our experience, it rarely spills over into the main forums. we just implemented it as a 3-strike plan. you get 2 trips to 'alcatraz', before the hammer drops.

we used to do the heavy handed ban, but they are paying money for being there now and we try to allow a little more headroom.

another thing is that the 'offending' thread is sometimes moved into an 'evidence' forum (hidden from all), to back up reasons and give a history to incidents that eventually result in a ban.

i might have mis-typed, when i implied 'cat-fights'. what usually happens is the person lands in alcatraz and goes "wtf, why am i here?" they get an explanation as to why and are then allowed to be penitent and/or accept their temporary status.

alcatraz goes further to temporarily suspend their PM and Search capabilities (if they had them). so it's really like being in jail.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Interesting idea, is this a forum that we can check out?

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
not really, since it's a private forum. the modification didn't take me that long to do though. it depends upon the interest level, whether or not i'd do it as a formal mod. also, if 6.5 has any similar feature(s), it wouldn't make sense.

essentially, all the decision making in the code is based upon a special group number (namely, the group 'alcatraz'). it's easy to then key on that group number to prevent various functions such as:

PM
Search
Other open forums
Custom Title change
Display name change
..whatever

if i were to rate the difficulty of the mod, it would be easy (copy/paste). maybe medium to hard, if you did it from scratch, like i did. i did find other mods around here to draw from tho, so saying 'from scratch' is a mis-nomer. you get the idea

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
that would be cool if you could have a Pal Box and list the names in there and how much longer they are in there with a counter counting down the time...like in hockey!

Sponsored Links
Hi,

"from our experience, it rarely spills over into the main forums."
Interesting.

"we used to do the heavy handed ban, but they are paying money for being there now and we try to allow a little more headroom."
Makes sense I suppose.

Anyway, I would definitely be interested in this hack. Had to ban someone recently and this could have been a decent alternative I suppose.

Sanuk!

Addict
Addict
Have you checked out the Private Moderation mod? I use this at my site as punishment for things that aren't quite worthy of a full-on ban, and it works superbly.

https://www.ubbdev.com/forum/showflat.php/Number/60856

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Bill B
Bill B
Issaquah, WA
Forum Statistics
Forums63