Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#272582 04/21/2004 7:39 AM
Coder
Coder
I wake up this morning to find this everywhere on the forums, any ideas?

Warning: mysql_connect(): Too many connections in /home/teamhalo/public_html/forums/mysql.inc.php on line 35
SQL ERROR: Wed, Apr 21 2004 08:37:08 -0400 Database error only visible to forum administrators

Warning: mysql_select_db(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/teamhalo/public_html/forums/mysql.inc.php on line 45

Warning: mysql_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/teamhalo/public_html/forums/mysql.inc.php on line 107
SQL ERROR: Wed, Apr 21 2004 08:37:08 -0400 Database error only visible to forum administrators

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/teamhalo/public_html/forums/mysql.inc.php on line 133

Warning: mysql_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/teamhalo/public_html/forums/mysql.inc.php on line 107

Sponsored Links
Old Hand
Old Hand
sounds like your mysql database is offline or unavailable. have you tried restarting mysql server?

This happened to me also, Here is a good explanation of it.

Old Hand
Old Hand
ericgtr [:"blue"] has got better at being owned by ubbt_06 [/]

Last edited by scroungr; 04/21/2004 9:59 AM.

Sponsored Links
Coder
Coder
[] also make sure the default view is set to last 2 weeks instead of show all, that helps a LOT. less data to get faster to get it and close the connection.

[/]
where can I find out how to do this? My host said the sql server shut off because of too many connections. I did everything that was in that link but the above part. I dont know how to set that?

Go into Admin > Edit or delete a forum > Choose your forum (you will have to do it one at a time) > Default aged threads to be displayed for this forum, then change it to whatever you think is necessary.

Kel Offline
This is a problem that I've been having for quite some time now. I've gone to a dedicated box. Persistant connections is turned off. Default aged threads is set for 6 months... (even that is too short for my board... it's just the way it has to be). My host has set max connections to 1000 with a time-out of 70 seconds. The next step is to split the site to two boxes... one for the database and one for the web frontend. We hope this will allow for more breathing room as well as allow for monitoring scripts to be written to catch the early stages of this issue and take precautionary measures before it goes into critical mass.

I'm told that the problem is in the software itself. There seems to be a failure in closing connections. They get stuck in what can only be described as a loop... continuously trying to connect even though the connection has been "closed" on the user end. Evidently this has been an issue for many, many versions of UBBT and has yet to be resolved. I've even heard that it has yet to even be acknowledged by InfoPop.

Regardless... I am stuck with this as there are no guarantees that porting to another software will be successful. My database is too large for me to simply move it to another software and/or just start all over again. I've had to create a back-up site for when this "affliction" hits us... which is every single evening. Thankfully, I have a host who monitors my site every evening and I'm usually only "caught in the loop" for a max of about 15 minutes each night.

Just would be nice if InfoPop would fix the software. There's obviously a problem if so many others are afflicted in the same way. So why not just fix it?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Hrm... that doesn't seem right. I'd wonder about server setup.

I just looked at your site - the most you've ever had online was like 148 people and you've got less than 6000 users. That's nothing by comparison to some of the forums I've seen and worked on.

I've got a client with a 550 MB database, 25,000 users and almost a million posts - believe it or not I'm pretty sure he's still on shared hosting.

Leovilletownsquare.com is a 325 MB Database - 5500 users and 600,000 posts pushing 350 GB (yes 350 gigabytes) in bandwidth per month. Max online was 1397 when we were slashdotted. Still on a shared server. Donated space and bandwidth no less.

Have you done any modifications? Maybe something there is not quite right, but my gut would be on server configuration. That's a pretty small forum on the scale of things. You definately shouldn't have those kinds of problems.

Kel Offline
Josh,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, my stats show max on line as 148... that's in a 3 minute window. I have the settings at the minimum. In addition, that doesn't reflect actual connections as we know that many browse with multiple windows open and the users on line feature only recognizes unique IP's. A look at the query stats would be more telling. The average is 5,443,200 queries a day or 226,800 an hour or 3,780 a minute or 63 a second.

Yes, less than 6000 users as on a monthly basis, I clear out the users with less than 5 posts who haven't logged in for over 18 months. This helps to keep the database a little trimmer. Those numbers really don't reflect usage. However, these numbers do:

Users that have logged in the past 24 hours... 875
Users that have logged in the past 7 days... 1542
Users that have logged in the past month... 2203
Users that have never logged in... 686

The post numbers really don't reflect traffic on my board either as the # of posts doesn't represent the # of queries or connections... but here they are anyway:

Posted in the last 24 hours... 998
Posted in the last week... 6571
Posted in the last month... 29868
Total # of topics... 56890
Total # of replies... 585256

And my average daily bandwidth transfer is @ 5 GB.

Yes, I've done modifications however very few and they have all been from mods listed here on ThreadsDev. Anything that seemed to be more of a draw on the database was quickly removed. Almost all of the permanent images on the site are hosted on a different server with the exception of graemlins and you have more here than I do... I've tried to keep those down too. I have full confidence in my server as they have worked on this for more hours than I can even begin to imagine. They have made all of the adjustments that they can at this point without writing specific scripts for monitoring and troubleshooting. I've had this problem for over a year now with two different versions of UBBT... which means they have been working on it for over a year now too.

Regardless of the size of my forum, I agree that I definately shouldn't have these kinds of problems. Looking through the threads here and reading of other's experiences with this issue, it seems that it is not one that is specific to any certain size forum or certain server settings or config settings. It just is.

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Yeah, that's pretty active, but again you still shouldn't be having those problems. I'd really look at the MySQL tuning angle.

Most of the people who see "too many connections" it's either because they have persistant connections turned on (when they shouldn't) in their config file, or other accounts on the server are maxing out MySQL.

I've never encountered someone with this problem that wasn't "user error" to start with (as mentioned above).

If it's just you on the server then I'd look at the MySQL tuning threads here in the MySQL forum. I usually refer any "tuning" work to Astaran here who has fixed a bunch of nightmare servers for me. Again, I really don't think theres anything wrong with threads - or else sites bigger than yours definately wouldn't run in a shared environment.

Make sure you have the persistant connections turned off in your config file, I'm sure you're aware of that. Beyond that, I'd look at tuning MySQL or getting a professional to do it. I recommend Astaran.

Hope that helps.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63