Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
pac
Lurker
Lurker

Has anyone seen any mod that would keep track of the amount of time a person spends on the forum? I know this would be a rough estimate....but would be interesting.

Sponsored Links
Coder
Coder
It has been brought up before. Bo no one ever addressed concern for making a mod like it. :-(

This would be very useful to use when making decisions on who should moderate a forum. If there never on, how can they ask for a promotion?

Power User
Power User
This would be a cracking addition.

Old Hand
Old Hand
yeah but see on a broadband connection I could just leave this page up forever and it would record me as being on forever.. its better to use how often they post as a judge then how long they are online.

Coder
Coder
It will show you being online but not active. I have my boards set to show only the last 10 min. They are set here for 90 minutes. so someone would only have to come and refresh the connection every 90 minutes and they would be considered online for another 90.

Sponsored Links
Old Hand
Old Hand
yup mand I can do that with a macro

Addict
Addict
Tracking the online time isn't too hard. Simply add a new field to the users table and sum up the time everytime a users accesses a page if the user is listed in WIO list should be enough.
Checking if the user as posted, edited or browsed new postings would be a bit more complex.

The problem with an online time tracker is that someone would simply have to sit on the "Who's on line" page and it will keep you active as it automatically refreshes every 10 mins.

True Slayer, I don't see any way around that. On the other hand it does show that they want to hang out on the site none the less. If the users don't realize they are being timed then it would be obvious that they like hanging out. Dunno, it's a hard one to judge.

The tracking would just not count online.php to get around it

Sponsored Links
Coder
Coder
[]slayer60 said:
The problem with an online time tracker is that someone would simply have to sit on the "Who's on line" page and it will keep you active as it automatically refreshes every 10 mins. [/]

It shows who was active in the last 10 minutes. If you just sit there, after 10 minutes it will not show you online because you was not active. If you are viewing the whos online screen it will show you there but for everyone else you are not. it simply removed you because you were not active.

Who's Online refreshes itself. Thus makes you active viewing who's online.

Coder
Coder
I dont know about you guys but on my 6.4.2 forum it only updates the users that are active.

Ill try to explain this......

I have the computers in my house networked. I can log into my forums and go sit at the whos online screen. After 3 or 4 minutes I go to another computer as a guest and go to the whos online screen. It will show my name logged in but not active( it will show the time 3 or 4 minutes earlier). If I go to my computer that I logged in with it will show me that I am active. It only shows you active if you are activly moving on the forums. After 10 minutes my guest user can not see me online but I can go to the computer I signed in with and it will show me as active because I am there on that computer.

I know if you log in here and go to the whos online screen and dont click anything, it will show you active as long as you are sitting there. even if you are there for hours... but to everyone else, you became inactive after 10 minutes and no one can see you on that screen unless you manually refresh it.

I hope everyone got that....

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
An easily trackable property would be the number of threads opened by an user, this gives an indication of how much time an user spends on the board. I think a mod to record this wouldn´t be hard to do at all.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
hatter
hatter
USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63