Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Lurker
Lurker
Today I encountered an issue where a user tried to upload a 1.18MB powerpoint file to a post. When the user clicks the "Ok, Submit" button, the browser immedietly (within less than a second) goes to an error "The page cannot be displayed" screen.

I've increased the attach file size to 100000000 bytes so the system should allow the file to be added. I can upload smaller PPT files so the format is accepted. Note: from some testing I did, it seems like 500K is the magic size barrier for any uploads. If I in config.inc I set my maximum upload size to something really small (e.g. 5 bytes) and try to upload a file less than 500K I get the expected UBB error message saying the file is too large and to try again. If I then try to upload a file larger than 500K I get the strange "The page cannot be displayed" browser error.

I'm not sure what's going on, but if anyone has any thoughts, I'd appreciate it.

I changed my php.ini file as follows and rebooted by computer.
max_execution_time now at 3000 seconds
post_max_size now at 100M
upload_max_filesize at 100M

Someone on another forum suggested adjusting my upload size in my.cnf, but I'm not sure where that goes> The file is as follows:
[mysqld]
datadir=/var/lib/mysql
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

[mysql.server]
user=mysql
basedir=/var/lib

[safe_mysqld]
err-log=/var/log/mysqld.log
pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid

Finally, I'm running 6.4.1. The site is behind a firewall so unfortunatly you won't be able to see the error.

I'd appreciate any help suggestions. This is pretty frustrating.

Sponsored Links
From your settings decsription this appears as if it should work. Do you have any mods running? You may want to try to upload the stock scripts associated with this just to doulble check that they are all in their original state.

I responded to you on Infopop's forums as well, but in short you need to add this to my.cnf, then stop and restart MySQL.

max_allowed_packet = 10M

(That allows attachments up to 10MB.)

Lurker
Lurker
I changed the my.cnf file to include the max_allowed_packet setting as shown below, and even after rebooting the entire system nothing changed. Note: I had to do the "set-variable = " thing becasue otherwise ubbthreads could not connect with the database. Any other thoughts on things to try?

[mysqld]
datadir=/var/lib/mysql
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
set-variable = max_allowed_packet=100M

[mysql.server]
user=mysql
basedir=/var/lib

[safe_mysqld]
err-log=/var/log/mysqld.log
pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Can anyone else that uses your forum upload large files, or is it just you? The fact that your browser just keels over like that sorta makes this smell like a client side thing rather than a server side thing.

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
Sponsored Links
Lurker
Lurker
I've asked a few people to try it on different systems...granted, we are all using IE, so that could be something, but I've never had that happen on other sites where I upload attachements.

I'll try Mozilla or another browser and post if I was successful or not.

Thanks.

Lurker
Lurker
I checked under Netscape, but it still does not work.

When I browse and select a file over 500KB and press submit, a popup appears that says document contains no data and stops. I tried this with a ppt file, exe file, and a text file.

If the files are below 500KB, the upload works just file.

Any thoughts?

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Does the error occur immediately upon form submission, or does it happen after the file seems to have been uploaded?

Lurker
Lurker
immedietly after form submission

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
That seems to imply that something your system is doing is not being liked by the server... unfortunately, I'm also all out of troubleshooting ideas...

Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63