Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Addict
Addict
Some background:

I am working on creating a script that users can utilize for organizing a competition schedule. Each day there are six competitions around the country. Each person has to pick which competitions they will be going to.

I have created a database that holds the competition data. Here is a screenie from a portion of it:
[]http://www.drumlines.org/upload/schedule.gif[/]

The form I am creating for members, so far, looks like this:
[]http://www.drumlines.org/upload/form.gif[/]

Each day's dropdown lists those six competition locations from that day, as well as the default "None" which you saw in the screenshot. Here is a snippet of the code I am using to create this:
[]http://www.drumlines.org/upload/script.gif[/]

As you can see, I am having to repeat the section of code while changing the date and making variations of the $complist variable. I have been struggling to create a loop where I would not have to keep repeating the same section of code. I am still learning PHP, so don't point and laugh too hard.

Any heroes out there?

To show you I really AM trying, I did manage to work out a script that lists all Drum Corps in the database:
http://www.drumlines.org/threads/showcorps.php

Last edited by DLWebmaestro; 05/25/2004 1:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
I'm still tinkering with this. The script has gone through many incarnations so far, but here is the current:
[]http://www.drumlines.org/upload/script2.gif[/]

Along with my template file, this outputs:
[]http://www.drumlines.org/upload/form2.gif[/]

As you can see, the date variable is not getting set the way I want it to be. It seems the dates overwrite the variable as they pass through and thus I end up with the last date.

Any input, or direction to a starter's PHP guide, would be appreciated. I have been reading though the two sites suggested in the forum instructions here.

Addict
Addict
Can you attach the whole script and describe what result you want to acchieve?

Addict
Addict
I would like to have a page that displays each day during the season with the choices of competitions from that day in a drop down, similar to the screenshots I have posted. When the user fills out the form and submits it, it will enter their schedule information into the database. As I have it now, I am having to copy lots of sections of code. I have added a $week 'get' variable so that I only have to have 7 copies of the code, but this would require the user to enter each week individually.

Something else new that has come up. There is a 6 corps maximum per competition for division 1 corps and a 4 corps maximum per competition for division 2 corps. I would like to get the script to query for full competitions and remove those selections from the dropdowns, but I cannot seem to get that either. Even if I have to settle for a listing of full competitions, I guess that would be better than nothing. I've been hacking away at this day and night for the past couple of weeks. It's a good thing I have a lot of down-time here at work.

Sorry about rambling. Thanks for the offer to look over the code.
Attachments
114328-schedule.zip (0 Bytes, 39 downloads)

Addict
Addict
Here's the latest layout I'm using for the database...
Attachments
114329-db.gif (0 Bytes, 49 downloads)

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
Ok, first thing:
Wouldn't it be easier to automatically get the week and day number by using one of the php date functions?
Using some kind of calendar functionality would be best, I suppose.
This way you can simply define the start date and end date of season. Using a iterator, you could render dropdown boxes for every day without the need to supply additional information.

If that sounds to complicated, using a function to build the right query would help to avoid copying the code

function buildQuery ($week = false, $day = false) {
if ($week && $day) {
$query = "
SELECT Date
FROM fdc_Schedule
WHERE Week = '$week'
AND Day = '$day'
";
}
else {
print "error not enough params supplied";
exit;
}

return $query
}

using the function:
$query = buildQuery($week, $day)
$sth = $dbh -> do_query($query);

while (list ($location1) = $dbh -> fetch_array($sth)) {
$loptions1 .= "<option value="$location1">$location1</option>";

Addict
Addict
Thanks for taking a look at it! I'm going over the code and suggestions you posted trying to figure it all out to see if and where I can use it. Thanks again mate!

Addict
Addict
I'm in a crunch for time, and I'm not acquainted enough with PHP to figure our what you were suggesting, so I went ahead and went with something based on what I had before. Thanks for looking it over though!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63