Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
Is there an easy way to do this that won't jack anything else up?

So for example, when a user closes their browser, the boards will have no way of knowing that was done, and the session ID will be the same (perpetually I guess?).

When they return again everything will appear exactly as it did before they left (ie. all the read/unread's).

Normally I would just go ahead and hack away to figure this out, but I'm a li'l leery since it involves everyone's cookies.

TIA to anyone who know the answer

Using 6.3.2 btw.

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
It should work this way normally if you use cookies instead of sessions - and the user checked the remember me box when logging in. (And the cookie expiration time is long enough in your config file).

I don't know of a way to do that wish Sessions, sessions by nature are just for the browser session.

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
[]JoshPet said:
I don't know of a way to do that with Sessions, sessions by nature are just for the browser session. [/]

Hmm I see. I was basically looking for a way to keep threads from all appearing read after closing the browser and returning.

I'm sure it can't be a small change though. I'm no expert in that stuff

Although I remember mention that this would strain the database. So I dunno how feasible it would be.

Cheers anyway

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Threads tracks posts read on a per forum basis (not a per post basis) - if you use cookies, it will track each post, during the browser session. But if you enter a forum, you should read all unread posts - or else on your next visit, they will all be marked read.

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
[]JoshPet said:
But if you enter a forum, you should read all unread posts - or else on your next visit, they will all be marked read. [/]

But is there a way to hack ubb.inc.php so that this doesn't occur Josh? Using either sessions or cookies?

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Not that I'm aware of it would be really intensive to have to check every post in the database anytime anyone viewed anything to see if it's read or not.

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
That's what was mentioned before. I guess after a few months it would bring everything to a crawl

Hmm, I wonder how the old WWWthreads used to pull this off. It had perpetual post tracking and always stayed fast.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I don't think it's ever been on a per post basis. Unless my memory is fuzzy.I thought it was always per forum with the old w3t_Last table. Rick would know for sure.

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
[]JoshPet said:
I don't think it's ever been on a per post basis. Unless my memory is fuzzy.I thought it was always per forum with the old w3t_Last table. Rick would know for sure. [/]

Well Josh, I got down and dirty and did some *serious* hacking
Huge amount of work involved lately but I survived.

I discovered that wwwthreads uses the *browser's history cache* to keep track of reads/unreads and not the database (and imo this is a much, much better way to do it).

So I basically had to rework the structure of the URL's for the entire site to make them compatible among the different pages, including IIS.

For instance, expanded/showthreaded used a different URL format for the postlist page and the showthreaded page which made it impossible to keep track of read posts using a browser cache. Now I've synced everything (like wwwthreads did) and the effect is just awesome

Finally, visitors can close their browser and all unreads are still there when they return, and they don't even need to be logged in for the post tracking to work as well.

(newlightable + lightable and newdarktable + darktable use the same class btw so everything matches).

Plus I also took the plunge and hacked in the wwwthreads navigation system + buttons to the postlist, showthreaded, and showflat pages (for select stylesheets).

Those buttons rule

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=posttesting

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63