Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#279399 09/07/2004 5:50 PM
http://www.allenonline.com/forum/ubbthreads.php

Hello:
I posted this today at Infopop Threads Forum:

Just had version 6.4.2 installed.
New user signs up and visits My Home for the first time. Message Box shows that they have received a private message and it is unread. Flag is also blinking indicating PM. This should be the welcome message.

When user clicks to access this message, no message is present to read.

How can I fix this please.

Rick Baker was kind enough to resond with this:
It sounds like you are missing your main admin user. You'll want to check to see if you have a user number 2. Run this SQL command:

SELECT U_Username FROM w3t_Users WHERE U_Number='2'

This is way over this newbie's head.

Can you help.

Sponsored Links
Okay, go into your Admin page then scroll down on the left until you see "SQL command" (under DB Management) after you click that you will be presented with a box where you can paste that command into. Then click the Submit button and it will come back with your results.

Another thing you may want to do is make sure all of your files are uploaded, in particular the \languages\english\viewmessages.php file. Often times when a page comes up blank it's because the associated file was missed during the upload.

Last edited by ericgtr; 09/07/2004 6:28 PM.
Command result was: U_Username

Also, the viewmessages.php file is there, I checked.

How do I proceed?

Thanks for leading me through this.

There is no username under it? User 2 is the person who initially sets up the board, that person creates an account that should automatically be set as this user. Honestly, I've never ran into this before maybe someone else can chime in with something here.

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
If you could do a text dump of your w3t_users table (in your MySQL admin panel, using Export) and then copy/paste the first few rows into a post here, we can better see what's going on.

If you tell us that you don't know how to do that, then this is gonna be very difficult

Sponsored Links
Twisty,

Thanks for the reply. This is way beyond my understanding. Ericgtr was kind enough to hold my hand through the last procedure. I guess I will just wait to hear from the person that installed my forums.

I used to have Classic and that was a lot easier to learn. I guess UBBThreads features are too complex for me.

Thanks anyway. You folks are very kind for trying to help.

If it's a new board why not re-install it ensuring that you setup the initial username when doing so.

Old Hand
Old Hand
either that or create an account called threadsdev with a password of threadsdev and make it temp admin so Eric or Twisty or someone can see whats up and give ya a hand.

Okay, taking a peak now.

The first user is 4 (Admin5) to go any further will require phpMyAdmin (or the right commands pasted into the sql window in the admin page) to dig around a little bit. I'll back out of the site for now.

Sponsored Links
Ericgtr Thank you. I guess it was to much to hope this would be easy.

I think I have a way of fixing this, I can set it up with my email for now because I have to make some tweaks then I can give you the login info and you can change it. Hang tight and I will send you a PM when I am done, I am going back in for now.

Below is what I am thinking, what it would do is make the webmaster (user 6 on your site) into user number 2. First, do you want the webmaster account to be changed into user 2? Second, I want some of the experts to check this below to make sure this looks right.

UPDATE w3t_Users
SET U_Number = '2'
WHERE U_Number = '6'

UPDATE w3t_Posts
SET B_PosterId = '2'
WHERE B_PosterId = '6'

UPDATE w3t_Messages
SET M_Uid = '2'
WHERE M_Uid = '6'

UPDATE w3t_Users
SET U_Totalposts = 'xxxxxx'
WHERE U_Number = '2'

Old Hand
Old Hand
other tables to consider are w3t_PollVotes, w3t_Favorites, w3t_Calendar, w3t_Boards, w3t_AddressBook will need to basically update any table that utilizes the U_Number field in any way from user #6 to user #2.

All that code is pretty much Josh's pieced together so I figure it's all good. Scroungr or Twisty what would be the right combo of code just to create user 2 with a new user name? It doesn't exist so it shouldn't be a problem I would think.

Okay. Here is my situation. First, I have no idea whether to say yes or no to your question about being user 2.

The person that installed version 6.4.2 was to upgrade me to version 6.4.4. I have a copy of that on my hard drive. He was to this Saturday or Sunday but he seems to have been delayed. My problem is that I can’t seem to contact him now.

He transferred my UBBClassic forums and members over on Sept. 4. While I was testing Threads out I found that I had a “missing welcome message” I chose not to kill Classic and make Threads available on my web site. So now more and more posts are now appearing on my Classic board and I’m not sure when my installer is returning.

I believe this is way unusual for him. I guess maybe I should wait on him for the upgrade. Maybe I should not mess with what he has done installing 6.4.2? I don’t know what to do now. All I know is how nice you have been to help.

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
Eric, is user #1 present btw? I'm pretty sure that you can create it using this command...

INSERT INTO w3t_Users
(U_Username,U_Number,U_Groups)
VALUES ("**DONOTDELETE**",1,"-4-")

I've never actually had to do this before, but I think that should work.

Old Hand
Old Hand
you will need to determine the local ip of the user, the md5(password) and the date() in unix format

INSERT INTO w3t_Users (U_LoginName,U_Username,U_Password,U_Email,U_Totalposts,U_Laston,U_Status,U_Sort,U_Display,U_View,U_PostsPer,U_EReplies,U_Registered,U_RegEmail,U_RegIP,U_Groups,U_Title,U_Color,U_Privates,U_Approved,U_PicturePosts,U_CoppaUser,U_Birthday,U_AdminEmails, U_Number)
VALUES ('<username>','<username>','<md5(password)>','<email>','0','date()','Administrator','','flat','collapsed','10','off','date()','<email>','<ip>','-1-','Administrator','','','yes','on','0','<birthday>','','2')

Last edited by scroungr; 09/07/2004 9:53 PM.
[]TwoonTwo said:
Okay. Here is my situation. First, I have no idea whether to say yes or no to your question about being user 2.

The person that installed version 6.4.2 was to upgrade me to version 6.4.4. I have a copy of that on my hard drive. He was to this Saturday or Sunday but he seems to have been delayed. My problem is that I can’t seem to contact him now.

He transferred my UBBClassic forums and members over on Sept. 4. While I was testing Threads out I found that I had a “missing welcome message” I chose not to kill Classic and make Threads available on my web site. So now more and more posts are now appearing on my Classic board and I’m not sure when my installer is returning.

I believe this is way unusual for him. I guess maybe I should wait on him for the upgrade. Maybe I should not mess with what he has done installing 6.4.2? I don’t know what to do now. All I know is how nice you have been to help. [/]

That may be the safest thing for now if you are more comfortale that way, as it is it doesn't hurt not having user 2 other than your current issue, you make the call Before I would dig in and do this I would require a backup of your database also, if you have cpanel it should be easy to grab a copy of it.

Twisty, I don't believe there was a number 1 but don't quote me on it

Old Hand
Old Hand
actually the insert would add the next user in that order so you would need to add the U_Number field definitly

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
Personally, I would create a brand new user for #2. You could just set the minimum fields necessary to login (most of the non-important fields would simply use the defaults until they can be adjusted after logging in).

Ok let's see here. The fields you'd have to set for it would be...

U_Username = "temp"
U_Password = "1a1dc91c907325c69271ddf0c944bc72"
U_Email = [YOURS]
U_Number = 2
U_Groups = "-4-"
U_Status = "Administrator"

The password is set to this: "1a1dc91c907325c69271ddf0c944bc72"
Which is equivalent to: temp

After creating the account, the password + email can be changed by him after he logs in.

Well my installer just emailed me. The Computer Gods must be looking down upon me.

He says he is taking care of the problem. Hopefully my next post is to tell you all is well but please don't go too far away. Ha!

What can I say about how great you folks are to take this time to help me. I wish I could repay the favor sometime.

Ivan
Allen, Texas
Home of Carly Patterson

Great! for now I would change the threadsdev password to be safe since it's in an open forum here Let us know how it works out.

Old Hand
Old Hand
just make the threadsdev a user. take away its admins privs

Will do.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I added a new user then changed the usernumber to #2, status was changed to Administrator and groups changed to -3-1- before logging in for the first time. Everything loos to be ok I believe.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Allen made it right.

We'll now be welcoming all new users with a big smile.

Thanks again!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849