Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Maybe Im wrong.. but I seem to remember being able to delete all posts by a specific user.. either by selecting a specific option when editing them.. or deleting them altogether..

Now a situation has come up where we simply want to delete the user (who is a troll) and their posts altogether..

But all I can find is the delete user option on the edit user screen, which explicitly states that it will not delete the users posts..

Is there a way around this?

Thanks all.

-Bry

Sponsored Links
Old Hand
Old Hand
think about it.. if you delete the users posts you have to go through the database and systematically delete the users posts and then if post is a parent.. assign the next reply as the parent or if a reply the next reply as the replacement reply.. not an easy task.. now what you could do is go in and just replace any posts made by a user with text that says "USER DELETED" which is easier of course but still leaves their post..

[]scroungr said:
think about it.. if you delete the users posts you have to go through the database and systematically delete the users posts and then if post is a parent.. assign the next reply as the parent or if a reply the next reply as the replacement reply.. not an easy task.. now what you could do is go in and just replace any posts made by a user with text that says "USER DELETED" which is easier of course but still leaves their post.. [/]

Yeah, I figured as much.. but I thought I would inquire.

I dont suppose anyone has ever made a hack for that?

Thanks either way!

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
If you're using 6.5, you should be given three options while trying to delete that user, regarding his posts...

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
Old Hand
Old Hand
6.5 gives following options when deleting user

* Do not delete this member.
* Delete member and do not alter posts. Ownership will be set to Anonymous with an Anonymous name of: scroungr.
* Delete member and delete all posts. If there are any replies to a post by this member, the post body will be set to "Post deleted by Username" to keep threading intact. Posts without replies will be deleted completely. Total Posts this member has made: 2.
* Delete member and delete all posts. If there are any replies to a post by this member they will be deleted as well. Total Posts this member has made: 2.

Sponsored Links
[]
IMPORTANT! Are you sure you want to delete the selected members? If you click "OK" the specified members will be deleted with no way to recover them. Any posts that they have made will remain intact, but will be set to owned by Anonymous.
[/]

Thats what I get when I try to delete.

Running 6.5 (Original, no updates)

Old Hand
Old Hand
hmmm I see the ones I posted. How are you selecting and trying to delete user?

Member services

Searched for their name..

Selected their name.. in the drop down at the bottom, I choose delete user.

Hit submit, and that message pops up in a windows notification screen.

Old Hand
Old Hand
okay thats where we are forking.. instead of selecting from the bottom the delete option click on the user.. it will bring up their page.. on the bottom is the delete user option.. click that...

[]scroungr said:
okay thats where we are forking.. instead of selecting from the bottom the delete option click on the user.. it will bring up their page.. on the bottom is the delete user option.. click that... [/]

Nice, works beautifully...

Wish it was easier to find. Tis a bit confusing.

Either way, thanks!

Sponsored Links
User
User
There used to be a glitch in older versions
When the post deleted was the last in a forum it will make that forum invisible... and it was not veyr easy to make it visible again
Pretty nasty glitch :-)

Hope that has been fixed in 6.5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63