Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Cro
Power User
Power User
hi guys, here i took a small screenshot of my forum. now as u can see, the black area around the smilie is ugly.... how can i change this without changing the boarder color? cause if i edit my stylesheet and change the ".tableborders" it does change(color behind the smilie), but my borders change as well .... i only want to change the color behind the smilie....
[]http://www.geocities.com/zadardalmacija/problem.gif[/]

also...if u can see in the pic, i dont have a line(border) between the text and the user name in the post....how did that get lost? i must have done something, but i dont know what...? can someone help?

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Cro
Power User
Power User
please guys, can anybody help? thanks

Coder
Coder
did you change to a different stylesheet and see if its still messed up. If its not then compare the 2 .css styles with each other and see if you can find the difference..

Cro
Power User
Power User
yah i did, but i get the same result. If i change the ".tableborders background" the color behind the smilie also changes

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
On thing to check would be the cellspacing and cellpadding defined in the theme file. That's probably it if it happens with other sheets.

The other thign is to run your page throught the XHTML validator at w3.org and see if there are errors. That may pinpoint it. (Like if you've got something in your header overriding the stylesheet - posting a URL would allow someone else to see it as well and possibly identify )

Sponsored Links
Cro
Power User
Power User
hmm thanks.. ok here is the url to my board..... its not in english, but u can see the borders and colors thanks for the help !

http://www.cro-forum.com//showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=547&an=0&page=0#547

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Yeah, you've got some definate HTML goofiness there. Crashed Mozilla for me twice just looking at that link - which is very hard to do on a Mac.

I was able to view it with IE, and view the source.

There's some major issues according to w3.org
click to validate including extra closing tags for tables and table cells, which can mess up formatting of everything else on the page.
You've also got a mod to switch stylesheets.

The best way to narrow down and find a problem like this would be to:

- try generic (unmodified) headers etc.... Slowly add back your stuff to see what "breaks" it.
- Get the page to validate at w3.org. If you're using impropper HTML you can have problems. Often if you can use the validator to help you find errors, your problem will go away.
- Try without the stylesheet mod, the extra stylesheet stuff might be interfering.
- Your stylesheet doesn't quite validate either. It's close, but I think there's one error. validate link
- Try a clean ubbt_header.tmpl file as well. You're declaring the doctype twice and doing things inside and outside of the <head> tags which isn't quite right. This might be contributing as well.

Basically if you can backup the appropriate files, start fresh so it looks right, then add back, you'll find out where the problems are.

Hope that helps.

Cro
Power User
Power User
hmm thanks alot Josh. So the validation doesnt tell me where the errors exactly are(like what files)? so, how can i know in what files these errors are? it would be very tough for me to go into every file and check. WHat do you recommend? Cause i have quite a few mods installed, and changing something would be a pain.... i dont know what to do... any particular files i should concentrate at? thanks again!

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Yeah, that's tough to track down the bad HTML.... but my gut is on the stuff in your headers. I'd try without the header include and a clean ubbt_header.tmpl file, and go from there.

If I were a betting man, I'd say that a clean header.php include file and clean ubbt_header.tmpl file, and the page would look right. I might be wrong, not sure what else you've hacked. But there was definately some coding mess going on in the header which might be the cause.

Cro
Power User
Power User
k thanks a bunch! ill try starting with clean header files thanks...

Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
AllenAyres
AllenAyres
Texas
Forum Statistics
Forums63