Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#284890 04/20/2005 9:36 PM
User
User
Tonight I closed my board for a while and now when I try to log back on I receive an error message

Warning: session_start(): open(/sess_63c43536fb3caa8caf9be3ee92b2ff8a, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in /home3/www/blahblah/ubbthreads/ubbt.inc.php on line 140

Looking back maybe in a hurry I clicked more than just close the forums so I need a way back into the login. I am running version 6.1 and any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
6.1? argh, that's a bit old You'd want to upgrade asap, there's a few security holes in the older stuff you wouldn't want hanging around. That'll fix your bug as well

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Addict
Addict
What would suck, is if Watchdog's member area subscription has expired (which I'm sure it has if he's still with 6.1). You can't get bug and security fixes from Infopop for free, you know. That would be ridiculous... a company giving its users free bug and security fixes. The whole notion just makes me laugh. Ha. Ha ha.

eslmix #284893 04/27/2005 5:22 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Can't think of any commercial script that does that past major version changes, can you?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Addict
Addict
6.1 to 6.5 is not a major version change. A major version change is 5.0 to 6.0.

Executive Software, makers of Diskeeper, allow current users of their software to download free updates within the same version.

IPSwitch, makers of WS_FTP, provide free updates within versions as well.

Microsoft, makers of such famed titles as Windows and Office, offer a plethora of updates to their software for free.

These are just from the top of my head.

If a defect is found in any tangible product on the market today, it is either recalled or a replacement part or unit is provided for free. This is the law. Software should not be immune to this. If defective code is sold, then it should be fixed for free - end of story. Otherwise, it's just extortion.

Sponsored Links
eslmix #284895 04/28/2005 5:17 AM
Power User
Power User
[]DLWebmaestro said:
What would suck, is if Watchdog's member area subscription has expired (which I'm sure it has if he's still with 6.1). You can't get bug and security fixes from Infopop for free, you know. That would be ridiculous... a company giving its users free bug and security fixes. The whole notion just makes me laugh. Ha. Ha ha. [/]

Not sure why it makes you laugh. My license expires on 4/31 I bought and paid for a license for three years. They've now had more than 2 months to issue a bug fix for 6.5.1.1 and apparently still have no idea how deep their bugs go (as I seem to have one in the search engine they didn't know about)

They can continue to put out 'buggy' products, raise their 'membership' prices and never update the product.

Threads are dead, they say, so I'm being FORCED to BUY a license to fix THEIR bugs... and then either let my forum never upgrade, or be FORCED to move to their 'new' product which we may not even like/want.

I'd say infopop has proved their managment and business direction is TERRIBLE and frankly, I feel they will lose the majority of customers over these moves.

No way I'm going to pay $199 to renew a license for a dead product.

Well maybe they were secretly purchased by Microsoft?

Sorry, that was bad.

[]kestral said:No way I'm going to pay $199 to renew a license for a dead product. [/]

You have options. When I recently researched commercial forum s/w, I found their competition, in some cases, offering lifetime licenses that include upgraded s/w, fixes, support, and actual upgrading by the vendor for less than an Infopop renewal. They also issue bugfixes / security fixes as soon as bugs or holes are ID'd. Then when you compare features.... well, for us it was no-brainer and we'll be converting shortly.

No offense intended, we felt the same way, but instead of whining we did something about it.

eslmix #284898 04/29/2005 9:46 AM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Commercial apps are a different animal - even with M$ you buy it once, you don't get the next version free or the next year of versions free - those who bought windows 3.0 also paid for 3.1 and 3.11 if they wanted it. The constant upgrade cycle keeps them in the money, whether they throw us a bone with download bugfixes or not.

Couldn't think of a commericial script? None that I know of will let you have the next version for free if your member area expires. Every VB 3.1.3.4.7.2 owner whose membership expires will have to pay to get the security fixes in VB 3.1.3.4.7.3, same with photopost, I have 5.0.3, but if my membership runs out before 5.0.4 is out I'm going to have to pay to get it I've got a reviewspost script I can't upgrade now until I buy the download privs again, I can't use it until then as well because of the security holes in it, what's a poor boy to do?

Even for scripts that are dead-ended, it's the same situation only worse. There's a company out there getting paid lots of money for a gallery script they haven't updated in years - has to be a plethora of security holes in it, I can't move to anything else unless I pay a lot of money to get it imported. At least IP is offering to make good on download privs to get the new stuff that should import quite well

Not the best situation from a user standpoint, but that's the way it is - moving to another script only buys you time, it's still the same situation... if my site means something to me, I know going in I'm going to have to pay for upgrades if I use it more than a year.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
[]AllenAyres said:
Commercial apps are a different animal - even with M$ you buy it once, you don't get the next version free or the next year of versions free - those who bought windows 3.0 also paid for 3.1 and 3.11 if they wanted it. The constant upgrade cycle keeps them in the money, whether they throw us a bone with download bugfixes or not.

Couldn't think of a commericial script? None that I know of will let you have the next version for free if your member area expires. Every VB 3.1.3.4.7.2 owner whose membership expires will have to pay to get the security fixes in VB 3.1.3.4.7.3, same with photopost, I have 5.0.3, but if my membership runs out before 5.0.4 is out I'm going to have to pay to get it I've got a reviewspost script I can't upgrade now until I buy the download privs again, I can't use it until then as well because of the security holes in it, what's a poor boy to do? [/]

Not to split hairs, but there is a company that makes forum software that offers a perpetual license which includes all upgrades forever at no charge. From their website:

Perpetual License ยท $185.00

"This will give you a perpetual license to use <xxx> Board for one installation on all current and future versions. Selecting this option will also give you access to upgrades to the software for all future versions and one year of support is included."

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Not to split hairs even further, but the guy who wrote that promised that his software would always remain free too, how long before you think his "perpetual license" mutates into something even more favorable to him? He's an extremely poor and dishonest businessman, I wouldn't use his software if it was still free.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
JAISP
JAISP
PA
Forum Statistics
Forums63