Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Or have they stopped it already? What's the future for us all? I love Threads and will be gutted if I have to use something else.

I also want to launch a new community but is it still possible to get a licence? I already have several... I'm confused.

Any ideas about the future?

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
They've stated they'll still be releasing bug/security fix releases, so there's no hurry to change any time soon, at least for the next year or so.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
However on THAT note Dunk...yes you can continue to run threads knowing there will be bug fixes...but allow me to play pessimist to Allen's optimism

6.5 - bugged in terms of post tracking, other minor bugs.
6.5.1 - worse.
6.5.1.1 - worse.

6.5.2 - has taken almost a year and is 'close' to ready...but take for example the bottom of these forums. Threadsdev is running 6.5 for good reason, as am I on my sites, and are others. Heh...I even still have a 6.4.4 install on a smaller site.

So yes, we will continue to be supported, but the level of support has diminished in the past year GREATLY - and I expect it to continue to diminish as the new downloadable product takes priority.

Eventually InfoGroupee's answer to Threads bugs will be that all users must upgrade to the new product, it is inevitable.

Personally if I were starting a new community at this time, I would look at some other options instead of buying a Threads license. If I could see the new product I would absolutely look at it...but without even a glance on how it works or how robust it is, I would not want to take the chance on a dead Threads license with the hopes the new product is my future.

So definitely consider threads since we all like it...but do not discount other packages before looking closely at them!

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
threadsdev is running 6.5 because we haven't updated yet - if we wanna be truthful we're open to the same security exploits anyone else is still running 6.5 We were gonna update a couple weeks ago, but have decided to do it once when 6.5.2 is here

6.5.2 hasn't 'taken almost a year' - 6.5.1 was released 6 months ago (almost) and 6.5.1.1.7.3.4.9.2.4 was released 5 months ago

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Just an update, infopop waited 3 years to stop supporting threads software prior to version 6.0 - that's no guarantee they'll wait more or less for all versions of threads tho I know they still answer support questions for v5 ubb.classic's and they are more than 5 years old

http://www.ubbcentral.com/boards/showflat.php/Number/40404

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
Allen, I am not complaining and still use and support threads, but I also try to look at it from a realistic standpoint as well.

I was going off the date 6.5 was released...which I think was in September of 2004...hence my 'almost a year' comment. I was using that to state that 6.5 was released with post tracking issues (one of the biggest problem a forum system can have)...and it has taken them almost a year to fix those issues. 6.5.1 and 6.5.1.1.23.5.x did not fix the post tracking for everyone.

Session files...bleh!

I still like my 6.5, I have very few problems with it. I like my 6.4.4 even better (except for large sites)

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
That was version 6.5.1.1.7.3.4.9.2.4

Navaho has said Monday or Tuesday for 6.5.2 release - cross your fingers that the major bugs are fixed

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Nice!

Will start checking UBBCentral next week again

Journeyman
Journeyman
OK I was very careful not to mention any other software by name, I even told the guy to check out Groupee's new software. I would very much like to know why my post was deleted. I feel that I answered the posters question with pretty good advice. Is there something wrong with telling someone to do their homework before they buy a product?

Power User
Power User
[]AllenAyres said:
That was version 6.5.1.1.7.3.4.9.2.4

Navaho has said Monday or Tuesday for 6.5.2 release - cross your fingers that the major bugs are fixed [/]

Allen, I respect your dedication to IP in regards to threads, but why should a 'major software company' put out a product that its PAYING users feel they need to "cross your fingers that the major bugs are fixed" ? Minor things, sure, but NOT major things, and not for this long.

This isn't some 'out of the box' college kids project, this is a product many of us have 'supported' by PAYING FOR IT for years. They HIRE people to code, write and debug the software. The tell tale sign this is a sinking ship, is in fact the length of time between releases and the lack of quality in those releases.

I'll also say I am very, very disappointed in the amount of post editing that has been happening. I have always respected this web site to be informative on all levels, not just what the moderators/administrators want the members to read.

Be careful you don't hold on to this life boat too tight, it's sinking

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
It's no secret that IP hosts the site, I've personally met most of the staff there and they're all people like you and me. Coming here to complain gets no one anywhere. If you want to complain, go directly to the people who run IP, their email addresses and phone numbers are in plain sight. Complaining here is only some sort of "look at me" ego booster - we're not a rant site and we'll continue running it like that.

Closing this topic now, it's run its course. It's a private forum, feel free to use another one if you don't like how it's run.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63