Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
[Linked Image]

Bookie Clan 316

UBBDev: Where does your artistic background come from. Where did you start?
Bookie: Heh... Well, I basically have no artistic background, and I wasn't REALLY into any type of art at all until just over a year ago. I started at where I am currently doing most of my graphics right now, Clan 3:16. Long story short, one of the members bought a domain, and had know one to make a webpage. So I spent about an hour downloading the Paint Shop Pro 5 Trial on my 56k modem, and made some really bad graphics, and made a webpage using Netscape Composer (AAH!). After a while of learning the program I eventually got better, and moved on to Fireworks. Now the following link MAY scare some people, but yes, these are some of my first creations.

The first layout of Clan-316.com
[Linked Image]

Very Scary - http://www.geocities.com/crazy_duck_f/

UBBDev: What tools do you use in creating your artwork?
Bookie: Up to about last week or so, my favorite was Macromedia Fireworks, and I totally recommend it to ANYONE. Fireworks is a great program, and very easy to use, great for beginners and experts. However, I never really had a chance to use Photoshop 6, mostly because it was quite expensive and I was pleased with Fireworks. I broke the urge and began using Photoshop, and I've got to say, I am quite happy with the results.

UBBDev: Do you do any non-digital artwork? Can we see some?
Bookie: I never did much non-digital art until I got Photoshop, now I find that I need to have a functional design. Also I never really had a gift for non-digital art, but I figured I would go out and buy some special pencils and see what I could do. I've done a few rough sketches, and turned them into digital art. Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner right now, but the digital form of one of my sketches is at:

[Linked Image]

UBBDev: Are you a cat or a dog person?
Bookie: Dog. I just... don't like cats. It seems whenever I go near cats I get attacked, so I just stay away. Used to have a big ol' basset hound though.

UBBDev: What do you use to create your very nice webpages?
Bookie: Why thank you for saying they are very nice. Yes, I cheat when I make my webpages, and I'm often found using Macromedia Dreamweaver, it is a great tool and saves a ton of time, and the HTML code editor that comes with it is also very useful (color coded).

UBBDev: You are into computer games. What games do you play?
Bookie: I do enjoy going on for a round of Diablo 2 every once and a while. I used to play Starcraft: Brood Wars... WAY too much! And I also play Max Payne quit often.

Fireworks Tutorial by Bookie
[Linked Image]

UBBDev: How do the games you play and Clan 3:16 influence your artwork?
Bookie: Blizzard is famous for their great 3D art work and movie scenes. I often find myself playing Diablo II and Starcraft just so I can see the cut scenes. They never fail to give me ideas on my next art.

UBBDev: What beverage do you like to enjoy while creating art?
Bookie: Mostly water, but once and a while I'll splurge and go for a bottle of Tropical Five-Alive.

UBBDev: What brought you to UBB Dev?
Bookie: I've been visiting UBBDev since back in the black and blue days, but it was mostly just to get a few hacks, and never read any of the other topics. But I began to get a little more involved, so I registered, and tried to keep up with all the great artists in the graphics forum.

UBBDev: Do you have any advice to share with the people just starting out in graphics design?
Bookie: Looking back... you basically have to start of with the most basic software, and work your way up. Paint Shop Pro was great for my learning... but you should also check out tutorials, but don't just follow the steps, read in between the lines, mess with the settings, use different colors, LIVE ON THE EDGE! That will help you learn greatly.

[Linked Image]

UBBDev: How about any favorite sites you like to share or that you draw inspiration from?
Bookie: Oh... so many sites.. I'll try to limit them. First we have Eyeball Design . Which basically got me started in Photoshop, there is a great community of artists there and a great series of tutorials. Then we've got Deviant Art . I love this site, it is just full of art to make me jealous. Blizzard , though they develop mostly computer games, they have a great selection of wall papers that always make me want to make some.

UBBDev: Any plans for the future of Clan 3:16 or any other things that you'd like to share?
Bookie: Clan 3:16 continues to be my experimental grounds, or my "playground" if you will. I use it for a place to make my graphics, and mess with the UBB while having no obligation or time schedule to do these things. I do plan on creating a large series of sites on a large variety of music, but I'm going to have to get a little bit more money before I can do that.. and yes UBB's will be involved with it.

Thank you Bookie. It was a pleasure getting to know more about you.

Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
hatter
hatter
USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63