Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 1 of 2 1 2
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Version 6.2 Beta release 1.0 was made available earlier tonight. For those of you who have been wanting to get your hands on this version it's in the member's area now.

You can find more information about the release here.

Please keep in mind that this is a beta release and it's not intended for prime time use yet. Go get yours and help bring it out of beta.

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Yes!

Thanks

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
question:

I can't update to that without losing all my mods can I?

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
That is correct. Your modifications will need to be reinstalled.

Kahuna
Kahuna
Aaron,

A very good tool for not loosing modifications is Beyond Compare which allows you to compare each file and reapply all your modifications. However since 6.2 is quite different I would check again the modification to see if it worksl. Some of them need to be tweaked for 6.2

Warm regards

Nikos

Nikos
Sponsored Links
Guru
Guru
Hopefully this will be the last upgrade of this magnitude will need to do for some time. This one was major and is going to require major reworking of most of the hacks here. The switch to userid for everything is the big one. But, now that we've made that change, the foundation should be pretty solid again and we shouldn't have to do another upgrade like this one for quote awhile

UBB.threads Developer
Journeyman
Journeyman
Any test sites set up that anyone knows about? I would love to play with it.

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
well, I guess I'm looking for someone to do some work again then. Anyone who can update and keep all my mods and fix 'em if they are broke for a fair price, let me know.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
An upgrade won't be that difficult, plus we'll be able to avoid the same mis-steps we had with 6.1.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
Allen, if you're directing that to me then. wheeeew! That is definitely music to my ears. Shoot me a pm when you get some time.

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
It was for you Wait until 6.2 is final and we can get it moving for you... I think josh did a lot of work there too, eh? He's chomping at the bit to get 6.2 stuff out the door

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
6.2 Has got to be the buggiest version yet.

I have found all sorts of problems.

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
That's why it's a beta

Guru
Guru
The problems you are seeing are related to the same 2 things error_reporting and the missing comma in the altertable script, both fixed in br2.

The error reporting thing makes it look worse than it actually is. These are warnings and notices not actual bugs. Turn error reporting to 15 in version 6.1.1 and you'll see so many of these warnings it will make your head spin Actually you can do this on a majority of PHP scripts out there and you'll get pages of these. So this has been drastically improved upon in 6.2. Eventually we want to get to the point where you can run with full error reporting turned on and get no warnings or notices. Still aways to go yet because of all the different possible views within .threads. Some bits of code don't get executed under certain views so they are a bit harder to track down.

UBB.threads Developer
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
[]He's chomping at the bit to get 6.2 stuff out the door[/]

I'm chomping at the bit to get my 6.2 stuff out the door before I leave so that if anyone needs it, it'll be there.

I leave for my cruise Friday morning.

It's 3 am Thursday morning... I'm still at the office and most likely sleeping on the floor here while I fix a crisis that has to be resolved before I leave. Then I'll be truly out of touch for a week. Access from the cruise ship is a bit costly.

I may post my updated mods (thus far) to the current forum. They can always be moved.

Planning on some mod implementations, so was wondering if there has been any word on the official release date of 6.2?

Figured I would wait on some mods if it was only a couple of weeks.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I believe it will be by the end of the month (~2 weeks) barring any unforeseen things coming up

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
GREAT NEWS

Just the answer I was hoping for. Saves me some coding now.

Veteran
Veteran
Psst! Christmas day.

Don't tell Rick, he doesn't know yet. I'm not telling him, hehehehehe

Picture perfect penmanship here.
Veteran
Veteran

Do you believe in love at first sight,
or should I walk by again?
Ted over at Infopop needs to wake up and flip the switch

It is Christmas Day and No 6.2 YET.

Merry Christmas to all here at ThreadsDev.

I thought I was the only one waiting on Christmas day!

Some people read their stars..... I choose to write my own
Please!!

We are all off today. I think there are ton's of people with time on their hands. I guess though it will be later today when they actually get around to releasing it. Upgrading will happen later after I make my rounds traveling to family. I do have to say though as far as beta's go this has got to be the fastest round yet. We are not even talking a month out in public beta.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Veteran
Veteran

Woooohoooooooo!!!!!

Some people read their stars..... I choose to write my own
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
[]Ted over at Infopop needs to wake up and flip the switch 

It is Christmas Day and No 6.2 YET.
[/]

Geesh.... Mr. Impatient!

When you posted this it was 6:09 AM in Seattle.

Give 'em a chance to wake up, get dressed, maybe grab a bite first.

He he, I've got nephews who show more patience on Christmas Morning.

Veteran
Veteran
Omegatron I find these comments to be about as offensive as can be. I don't need to be getting beat up on the boards for actually spending a couple of hours on Christmas morning with my family. Not only are your comments cold hearted but they are senseless.

First off it was 6:00 am when you posted this. Do you want to be dragged out of bed on Christmas morning to go to work for 3 hours? Probably not.

Second, it's not a "flip of a switch". You now have an open invitation to drop on by my office for our next product release and do the work yourself if you think it's that easy.

Comments such as yours are THE reason why I never announce a product release date or time. This release broke a long standing rule that has been in place for years. I can tell you with 100% certainty that you have given me every reason to never break that rule again. Never, ever again. We'll go back to the when it's released it's released model.

Obviously I feel the need to say a few things Navaho because of your heartfelt hatred otherwise I would just let this go.

1) My post was in total juest with a smiley at the end of it. I think anyone else would take it in the spirit it was given. Nor was I the only who posted saying they were waiting.

2) You did post you were releasing it Christmas day ( I did forget all about the time zone difference which I even said later when someone pointed it out. OOPS ) I should not be scolded by any business for asking them if they were standing by their word.

3) Infopop is a business and relies on long standing customers like myself whom buy your products when there are many competitors in the market. I think personally a little respect is in order. I manage a major retail business and I have never talked to a customer like you obviously have to me in this community.

4) I think personally you cut down on the number of people actually pestering you when is it done when is it done by telling everyone when it was released. But then again do what you feel you must. Infopop can make whatever business decision it feels is necessary to promote its product. It won't affect anyone really.

Now since I feel the good people of this board deserve a good clean environment to post in without seeing this kind of material you may anytime you wish take this matter up with me personally since my email address is public knowledge. That is if my clearification and comments have not sunk in to what I have seen as the most offensive post I have seen in a long while.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I'll add my 2 cents even though I'm sure you won't care.

First of all it's darn nice of them to release a major revision on a holiday... when most of us had some time to play with it. Most message board operators have other jobs.... so getting to play on a day off was an added bonus.

Most companies would not release a product, or ask their staff to work on Christmas day.

OK - so you say "customer service".... they said the product would release on Christmas Day.... it did. They promised AND delivered.

Maybe you had humor and sarcasm in your posts, but they did come off very Rude. Not only the one here, but the one on Infopop Community as well.

Even forgetting the time difference... and assuming they were on Eastern Time like you, 9am on Christmas Morning is still Very early to be expecting someone to deliver a product. Surely people will wake up on Christmas morning and spend some time with their families before going to work.

Add comments like "Ted over at Infopop needs to wake up" and "Infopop elves must have gotten a little tipsy last night" did come off kind of rude. Maybe the humor and sarcasm was missed. But IMO you appeared to be complaining right off the bat.

I for one thank Infopop and Dave for making the product available to us yesterday. I know the work involved for Dave to get it out the door. I also know that Classic was coming out too.... and Dave's responsible for all of them. He keeps a very full plate and stays on top of all of it.

So Good Job Dave. Thank You.

Merry Christmas!

[end of my 2 cents]

Veteran
Veteran
" 1) My post was in total juest with a smiley at the end of it. I think anyone else would take it in the spirit it was given."

I don't buy that, sorry.

Regardless, you've solidified my decision. I'll not be posting release dates ahead of time again.

Josh,

It really does not matter because I said my peace and want this to drop. I guess Navaho==David? If he wants to speak to me he can privately email me as this is the proper way to handle these types of matters.

There are loopholes in everything my friend. My post was very lighthearted joking they must have had a good time last night etc HA HA HA and smileys and what else. No rude part in my mind about it. Rude would have been ( Where the H--L is the product ) !!

How many people post about release dates? A whole bunch and I have seen some nasty ones. Mine was no where near that. I also think your way off base on the time zone thing. What is so wrong with posting 9 am on a release day asking where a product is? Do you suppose everyone celebrates Christmas? There is nothing wrong with asking where a product is when it is announced by a company it is being released that day no matter what the day is.

If you had taken the time to read the next post down by me I stated oh well I will go make my rounds and play later when I get back home when it is released. I was expecting nothing from Infopop? I was fine with everything till I came on here and read this stinging reply from an employee of a company that I pay to provide me with forum software. Yes David did a good job releasing it yesterday and gave everyone a nice present and I was fine with this until all this stuff.

David is fine with saying he will release it when it is released if he chooses Josh. Thats Cool. I am fine with that. I can't recall a customer every being scolded publically asking when is the release? EVER!! PERIOD!

That is my only point here and you seem to miss that. Infopop is a business and I am a customer. The only point really is that I am keeping this a business matter and this should not be an emotional one? I should not have been puiblically scolded. If David was emotionally upset with my post or MISINTERPRETED my post I would have gladly answered any private email on this matter. That is the way I felt this should have been handled.

Just my 2 cents and as I said in my first post which was also overlooked.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL.

Veteran
Veteran
<Post withdrawn by author>

Ian

Last edited by canvey; 12/26/2002 7:32 PM.

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Would this be a bad time to ask about 6.3?

/me runs and hides...

LoL j/k

/me really runs and hides...

Hacker
Hacker
At PhotoPost.Com we've had our own issues with people debating the meaning of "customer support". Frankly, I have a bit of a different opinion when it comes to "the customer is always right" - I simply don't agree with it.

Someone giving me a hundred bucks for a product I spent thousands of hours developing does not entitle them to threat me rudely or disrespectful.

I'm not making commentary here on the actual posts - I'm just saying that the customer is NOT always right and I wont hesitate to tell them so. If I lose a couple customers in the process, so be it. I dont need customer who are just going to be a pain in my butt.

People who are rude on our support forums often find themselves waiting much longer for a response...

Happy Holidays, all!

Should there not be a new thread saying that 6.2 is out? I've been checking the front page every day for two weeks, and now I learn that it is out. I'm not too annoyed, just wish I had thought to look further into it so I could have had time to play with it.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I agree.... we should have done that. Sorry.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Allen or JustDave can change it if they wish... but I posted it.

Cool

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
how'd you do that with the user info in the panel generator?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Bill B
Bill B
Issaquah, WA
Forum Statistics
Forums63