Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#304105 10/17/2002 10:27 AM
Veteran
Veteran
I think that UBBThreads is one year old today (or was it yesterday) - a year since Infopop took over.

Ian

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Sponsored Links
Gorlum #304106 10/17/2002 10:43 AM
Lurker
Lurker
Happy birthday, UBB.threads!

I fear I've forgotten to bring the gifts and cakes though.
Instead, I must suffice.

donJulio #304107 10/17/2002 10:56 AM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
yay!

I know I have had a lotta fun getting to know you guys Here's to many more

Last edited by AllenAyres; 10/17/2002 10:57 AM.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Gorlum #304108 10/17/2002 2:17 PM
Guru
Guru
And a good year it's been, at least in my eyes I think we've made quite a bit of progress on .threads. I think this site has been great as well, still hoping we'll get more people here but that will come.

UBB.threads Developer
Sally #304109 10/17/2002 2:47 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Happy Birthday UBB.threads!

I agree.... mega-progress in a year! That's good.

I think this site has grown in leaps and bounds as well...thanks to Allen and JustDave.... and all of the other mods/regulars.

I think we'll see this site really take off one of these days.

Lord knows I do my part in trying to "lure" them from Infopop Community into the world of "hacking". LOL

I've enjoyed getting to know and working with y'all as well.

BTW -
We need to add "...as seen on TechTV" somewhere to this site.

Sponsored Links
Sally #304110 10/17/2002 5:36 PM
Addict
Addict
[]And a good year it's been, at least in my eyes I think we've made quite a bit of progress on .threads. I think this site has been great as well, still hoping we'll get more people here but that will come.

[/]

I mentioned this before somewhere else, but the main reason not many people know about threads yet is due to the ignorance of many other people. I'm regulars on many forums, some dealin with various website material.

I can say, 99.999999% of the time when people ask about forum software, what is best, what isn't, every single person says "Get vBulletin, they are the only php/MySQL solution that isn't free" or "UBB is a bandwidth hog, it uses perl, its slow, etc..."

Such ignorance on their part, so I always butt my head in and inform them that there is a php/mysql producted offered by InfoPop, and many of them had no idea, or just insist that vb is better because previous flat file UBB was a resource hog.

So it is just kind of irritating to hear the nonsense that gets spewed. People asking questions and looking for answers but never hear the full story. I think the main problem is because it has UBB in the name, and for many people, they associate that with the once very standard BBS software which was obviously perl. So even if they do catch wind of this new product, they shrug it off because they see UBB.

I think the general public needs to be made aware of threads and shown that it is not simply a UBB port and it is an entirely new product. I know that isn't easy to do and it will come with time, but it just irritates me when people speak foolishly

Ok, I'm done now

Gorlum #304111 10/17/2002 9:28 PM
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
I must admit that I wasn't sure how things would go nor did I feel comfortable with Infopop's acquisition of .threads in the begining. For a while I was basicly lost as far as getting information on modifying threads which was the reason I would hang around the w3t demo forums. (now I provide this kind of stuff... go figure) LoL

Some of the old-time users of w3t parted ways as far as I can tell. These were the die hard perl users for the most part, I believe. I know some are gone for reasons unrealated to .threads changing hands though. Times change, people change, life goes on. There is nobody to blame for this as it's a normal process.

Of the 3 or 4 "I'm going to do it" offshoots of open source .threads that were spearheaded when Infopop arrived they all seem to be dead in the water. I think the fact that they were initially powered by anger/uncertainty which can be enough to get something started isn't always enough to keep it going and see it through.

This first year of ThreadsDev has been very enjoyable for me. I have learned a lot along the way and am looking forward to learning much more and being able to help others learn with me. I have seen how some member sites have improved and progressed these last 12 months and like to think it's been in part do to ThreadsDev and the members that make it more than just another website.

sjsaunders #304112 10/17/2002 10:16 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I guess I should echo your comment about learning alot.

I'll probably never be at the level of knowledge that most of you are at. But when I first found this site.... I Knew NOTHING.

I couldn't figure out much on my own...that was for sure. Dave, you did lots of "hand holding" for all my various mods and issues.... and I really appreciate that. I'm sure I was annoying.

Anyway.... now I'm proud that I actually can write and post mods of my own. (OK they are not IIP caliber, LOL but baby steps.)

I learn fast by "doing" and by being in it neck deep....that's when I learn best.

About the time I found this site... I had just agreed to help with Measurection and save the founder from overload/nervous breakdown LOL. I was feeling like I was in over my head for sure... fearful of how to fix things if something went wrong.... I was awake sleepless night worrying about trying to upgrade from Perl to PHP without loosing everything.

Needless to say, I figured that one out... and much more.

I guess I can't say "Thank you" enough to those that have contributed so much here, and to my site, and to the sites of many who never take the time to stop and let us know how it worked for them.

Thank you!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Nettomo
Nettomo
Germany, Bremen
Forum Statistics
Forums63