Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I was just wondering who uses PhotoPost with their threads installation and can I have a look at them? I was thinking about integrating Gallery into my threads install, but when I went over to PhotoPost I noticed it supported Threads.

I,m learning quickly that commercial products are great, providing support and all, but my pocketbook is running low so I would like some opinions. Has anyone already integrated Gallery? Is PhotoPost a good product? I've seen their demo in a VB install, but I'd like to see it in a Threads install. Thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
Kahuna
Kahuna
Hi Fishtails,

I have integrated both, although the integration is not the best one I would have hoped for.

I have sent you via PM a username and a password for you to use.

One bad thing that I found with Photopost is that it assumes that all your tables are prefixed with w3t_ which is not bad if you have but it causes nightmares when you do. Also it does not take into account your cookie prefixes (version 6.1 of the threads) which disallows you from using the same server to host your test board and your production one. If the above do not apply to you then go ahead.

Warm regards

Nikos

Nikos
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Yes,

I'm using them together quite nicely.

I've hacked photopost a bunch as well.

I will PM you a login.

WARNING... my photopost contains adult content. Don't look if you

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I just got through looking at it. Afrarista poli.

Based on your installation, you are happy with the PhotoPost. What advantages do you have over your Gallery mod, other than direct Threads support?

BTW, my wife was born in Karditsa and grew up in Glosa on the island of Skopelos. Greece is a beautiful country. We are planning on returning there for our 25th anniversary during the Olympics, but I'm not so sure that would be a good time to go seeing how it might be a little busy.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
A big advantage for me was the thumbnails... and the reduction in bandwidth... because people no longer needed to view all the full size pictures. Now they can pick and choose.

Moderation (approval) before pics were live was a must for me as well.

Complete integration with threads so that there wasn't another username to deal with was important too.

I use it behind an iBill password.... so I try to minimize the amount of logins they have.

Hope to get something so that subscriptions to it could be automated through paypal... and use groups instead of .htaccess with iBill. Maybe after the first of the year.

Sponsored Links
Kahuna
Kahuna
Hi Fishtails,

Parakalo!

Based on my installation I am not happy with Photopost. With all do respect for the developers of the software - they have done a good job, however because of the fact that they tried (and succeeded) to integrate it with the most popular boards out there they have provided a more generic model than what I expected.

Basically I want to start working on it and heavily modify it to match my needs. For instace there are no templates, which is a bit of a pain for all my users, who are used to them. The image upload facility is fantastic, since it automatically creates thumbnails, medium and large images, there are loads of checks around for the images that are missing. The best feature is the approval of images uploaded by users from the administrator. However it still lacks small things like the arrow buttons to navigate through pages (clicking on that small number at the bottom can be a drag sometimes) and also a sortorder colum which will allow you to sort your photos in a particular database with the order you want them and not alphabetically or by views. Finally the cookies (as I have explained in my previous post) that are used from both Photopost and Threads have to match for complete integration with the users table, otherwise it doesn't work and until I do something about it (move server or change the cookie mechanism of Photopost) neither does my test board. These little things make me unhappy but if all software was perfect then this forum wouldn't have existed would it?

This is my own opinion based on the needs of my forum. Others might be very happy with the software as it is.

On a more personal note, I have been both to Skopelos and Karditsa. I have a friend of mine that lives in Volos and has relatives in Karditsa. I come from Thessaloniki myself but I always considered Volos one of my favorite cities since you have within 30 minutes islands and mountains. I wouldn't personally go to Greece during the Olympics. I hate Athens - which was, is and will most definitely be a huge madhouse - especially with the Olympics. Try something outside Athens, so that you can relax but also have access to the capital. Athens busy? Nah! Only half the population lives there... How can it possibly be busy.

Many regards to yourself and your wife from a fellow Hellin.

Warm regards

Nikos

Nikos
Addict
Addict
I dunno, I feel mine integrates almost seamlessly.. and I'm not even up to date as far as the betas are concerned:

www.michiganjeepers.com

click the photo gallery icon

Kahuna
Kahuna
I see what you mean msula.

Edit to my previous post:

If you choose to have one stylesheet for your forum then by tweaking the colors in the admin section of the Photopost will make it look and feel exactly like your forum (like msula did).

If on the other hand you allow more than one stylesheet (I have 13 of them) then you will face the same problem as I have.

Warm regards

Nikos

Nikos
Addict
Addict
True. IMO, threads is not currently good multiple style system either.

Myself.. my header and links are graphics, and they are set to match the stylesheet of threads. Well, obviously if someone wants a blue stylesheet.. by default the green logo and icons will not match. Yes, there are workarounds.. but it isn't a very good solution.

And the problem with photopost right now is that it isn't template and CSS based. When that does happen.. hopefully in the somewhat near future I would assume the integration would work along those lines as well.

So until threads comes out with a "theme" type setting, where you can specifiy graphics/headers/footers as well as a matching stylesheet it will be very hard to configure two pieces of software to work seamlessly together. Just the nature of two young pieces of software still growing.

But yeah.. users have wanted multiple stylesheets for a long time, but I refuse, because it would be a design nightmare with all of the matching graphics and photopost and such... ugh.

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
I have it, and am happy with it, the only problem is that I don't have enough users yet to take advantage of it.

check it here

Sponsored Links
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I messed around with Gallery this morning for about 4 hours. Finally got to where I was going some place, then checked my time. 5 hours * $20/hr = $120. Still a ways to go.

PhotoPost = $119

I purchased PhotoPost a few hours ago. I'm just waiting for my download instructions now. Hopefully I'll get them soon because I'm anxious to get my old gallery back up on the site again.

Thanks to everyone for your input and allowing me to enter your sites to check it out. That's what makes this such a great community to be involved with.

Kahuna
Kahuna
It is true that the installation of Photopost is very solid and personally I had zero problems with it.

One thing to note fishtails -

Make sure that your tables are prefixed with w3t_ otherwise the photopost gallery won't work.

If you need anything and I can help send me a PM.

Warm regards

Nikos

Nikos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Oh Nooo! My tables are NOT W3t_ ! When I was writing the conversion script for my postnuke and cyboards db I used the W3t_ prefix on my test db. When I completed the scripts, I ran a fresh install of threads 6.11 and used 'threads' as my prefix! I've already purchased PhotoPost. Surely I can remedy this?!

Kahuna
Kahuna
I had the same problem fishtails. My tables were prefixed ffff_ before photopost. But I have the benefit of hosting everything in my box on Windows 2000. So what I did was to stop the MySQL service and then go to the data folder and rename all the files from ffff_* to w3t_*. After that I edited the config.inc.php to use the w3t_ prefix and it is working just fine.

What you can also do - if the above is not satisfactory - is to open all the php files of photopost and replace the prefixes yourself with what you want (threads_ in your case). The only catch here is that you have to be very careful with the cookies. There are - if I remember correctly - three files that use the cookies and they have to match the ones that Threads uses, so if you have specified a cookie prefix, you need to ensure that it is the same in both programs.

I hope this helps.

Warm regards

Nikos

Nikos
Addict
Addict
In addition to what dimopoulos said:

I just checked the MySQL doc, and there's a RENAME TABLE command, so that might be a more "official" way of doing it.

Just make sure that no one is using the database at the time, and change the table prefix in the config file to match the table names.

Backing up the database first would be a good idea too.

Kahuna
Kahuna
Fishtails,

All is not lost so don't dispair

If you cannot rename the database fields, try this approach:

First of all make sure that your cookies in the threads are set to be site wide ("/" option for cookies path in the config.inc.php)

If you haven't set a cookie prefix:

I assume (from what you wrote) that your prefix on the tables is threads (so instead of w3t_users you have threadsusers)

Go to the Photopost folder (usually forum/gallery - or something similar)

Open showphoto.php

Goto line 673, find this
code:

$query = "SELECT U_Username,U_Homepage,U_Totalposts,U_Title,U_Registered FROM w3t_Users WHERE U_Number=$cuserid LIMIT 1";

and CHANGE it to this
code:

$query = "SELECT U_Username,U_Homepage,U_Totalposts,U_Title,U_Registered FROM threadsUsers WHERE U_Number=$cuserid LIMIT 1";

Open pp-inc.php

Goto line 750, find this
code:

$query = "SELECT U_TimeOffset FROM w3t_Users WHERE U_Number='$userid'";

and CHANGE it to this
code:

$query = "SELECT U_TimeOffset FROM threadsUsers WHERE U_Number='$userid'";

Goto line 845, find this
code:

$query = "SELECT U_Number,U_Username,U_Email FROM w3t_Users WHERE U_Number='$user'";

and CHANGE it to this
code:

$query = "SELECT U_Number,U_Username,U_Email FROM threadsUsers WHERE U_Number='$user'";

Goto line 885, find this
code:

$query = "SELECT * FROM w3t_Users";

and CHANGE it to this
code:

$query = "SELECT * FROM threadsUsers";

Goto line 915, find this
code:

$query = "SELECT U_Username FROM w3t_Users WHERE U_Number=$tuserid LIMIT 1";

and CHANGE it to this
code:

$query = "SELECT U_Username FROM threadsUsers WHERE U_Number=$tuserid LIMIT 1";

Goto line 1444, find this
code:

$query = "UPDATE w3t_Users SET U_Totalposts=U_Totalposts$do_inc WHERE U_Number=$user";

and CHANGE it to this
code:

$query = "UPDATE threadsUsers SET U_Totalposts=U_Totalposts$do_inc WHERE U_Number=$user";

Open login.php

Goto line 46, find this
code:

$query = "SELECT U_Password from w3t_Users where U_Username = '$user' limit 1";

and CHANGE it to this
code:

$query = "SELECT U_Password from threadsUsers where U_Username = '$user' limit 1";

Open login-inc.php

Goto line 154, find this
code:

$query = "SELECT U_Username, U_Number, U_Groups, U_SessionId, U_Password, U_TempPass FROM w3t_Users WHERE U_Number='-1' LIMIT 1";

and CHANGE it to this
code:

$query = "SELECT U_Username, U_Number, U_Groups, U_SessionId, U_Password, U_TempPass FROM threadsUsers WHERE U_Number='-1' LIMIT 1";

Goto line 158, find this
code:

$query = "SELECT U_Username, U_Number, U_Groups, U_SessionId, U_Password, U_TempPass FROM w3t_Users WHERE U_Number='$userid' LIMIT 1";

and CHANGE it to this
code:

$query = "SELECT U_Username, U_Number, U_Groups, U_SessionId, U_Password, U_TempPass FROM threadsUsers WHERE U_Number='$userid' LIMIT 1";

Goto line 163, find this
code:

$query = "SELECT U_Username, U_Number, U_Groups, U_SessionId, U_Password, U_TempPass FROM w3t_Users WHERE U_Username='$cookuser' LIMIT 1";

and CHANGE it to this
code:

$query = "SELECT U_Username, U_Number, U_Groups, U_SessionId, U_Password, U_TempPass FROM threadsUsers WHERE U_Username='$cookuser' LIMIT 1";

Goto line 175, find this
code:

$query = "SELECT U_Username, U_Number, U_Groups, U_SessionId, U_Password, U_TempPass FROM w3t_Users WHERE U_Username='$cookuser' LIMIT 1";

and CHANGE it to this
code:

$query = "SELECT U_Username, U_Number, U_Groups, U_SessionId, U_Password, U_TempPass FROM threadsUsers WHERE U_Username='$cookuser' LIMIT 1";

Open install.php

Goto line 559, find this
code:

$query = "SELECT G_Id, G_Name FROM w3t_Groups";

and CHANGE it to this
code:

$query = "SELECT G_Id, G_Name FROM threadsGroups";

Open ecard.php

Goto line 243, find this
code:

$query = "SELECT U_Email FROM w3t_Users WHERE U_Username='$touser' LIMIT 1";

and CHANGE it to this
code:

$query = "SELECT U_Email FROM threadsUsers WHERE U_Username='$touser' LIMIT 1";

Open adm-userg.php

Goto line 164, find this
code:

$query = "SELECT G_Id, G_Name FROM w3t_Groups";

and CHANGE it to this
code:

$query = "SELECT G_Id, G_Name FROM threadsGroups";

If you have set a cookie prefix I suggest you take it out (set in config.inc.php) unless it's absolutely necessary for you to have that prefix. If you do need it, please wait for version 2 of this post. I need to check things first before I suggest anything about cookies.

I hope this helps

Warm regards

Nikos

Nikos
Kahuna
Kahuna
Thanks Dave,

This would be most handy to people that have only remote access to their database and not running windows systems (from what I gather 99% of the users here ) .

Warm regards

Nikos

Nikos
Addict
Addict
hmm, I'm pretty sure photopost 3.1.1 addresses the problem of having different threads table prefix. I could be mistaken, but I swore I noticed that in the updated features of the last version.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Dave & Nikos,
Just wanted to say thanks a bunch for the help. Nikos, that was a lot of typing you did in that last post on editing photopost. I really appreciate it but I think I'll go with your first suggestion and change the db. My host just upgraded to the latest phpmyadmin and after a quick look it appears I can change the table names quite easily.

BTW, if I use the close forums feature, doesn't that eliminate any possibility of posting and such? Can a user still log in and just not have access to the forums, or are they locked out altogether? What if they are using the remember me function?

Thanks again.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
That would definitely save some time! I think I'll wait until they let me in to d/l my copy. Still waiting on their approval I guess. When I finally get my copy I'll inspect it and post my findings here. Thanks.

Kahuna
Kahuna
Fishtails,

Don't mention it. Now that we have found a solution, I would like to suggest that you run one set of queries with phpMySQLAdmin (like Dave suggested) instead of manually doing one by one in turn. This will reduce the time needed for the upgrade. Unfortunately I don't know if users can/will be able to access the forum while the boards are closed. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this.

Run this in phpMySQLAdmin:
code:

ALTER TABLE w3t_addressbook RENAME threadsaddressbook;
ALTER TABLE w3t_banned RENAME threadsbanned;
ALTER TABLE w3t_boards RENAME threadsboards;
ALTER TABLE w3t_category RENAME threadscategory;
ALTER TABLE w3t_favorites RENAME threadsfavorites;
ALTER TABLE w3t_graemlins RENAME threadsgraemlins;
ALTER TABLE w3t_groups RENAME threadsgroups;
ALTER TABLE w3t_last RENAME threadslast;
ALTER TABLE w3t_messages RENAME threadsmessages;
ALTER TABLE w3t_moderators RENAME threadsmoderators;
ALTER TABLE w3t_modnotify RENAME threadsmodnotify;
ALTER TABLE w3t_online RENAME threadsonline;
ALTER TABLE w3t_polldata RENAME threadspolldata;
ALTER TABLE w3t_polls RENAME threadspolls;
ALTER TABLE w3t_posts RENAME threadsposts;
ALTER TABLE w3t_ratings RENAME threadsratings;
ALTER TABLE w3t_subscribe RENAME threadssubscribe;
ALTER TABLE w3t_users RENAME threadsusers;

If you have IIP installed also run:
code:

ALTER TABLE w3t_iipcache RENAME threadsiipcache;

And if you have the Calendar 3.0 hack installed, run:
code:

ALTER TABLE w3t_events RENAME threadsevents;

Also make sure that before you do anything backup your database!!!!

Warm regards

Nikos

Nikos
Kahuna
Kahuna
Jeremy,

I downloaded 3.1.1 an hour ago and there is where I got the queries from.

Warm regards

Nikos

Nikos
Addict
Addict
If you close the forums, that will prevent access by everyone except admins. I think that will prevent anyone else from doing anything that modifies the database, but I'm not 100% sure.

If you temporarily renamed config.inc.php to something else, that would guarantee that the threads script doesn't access the database, since the script wouldn't know the database name and other access info, but then users would get error messages when trying access the forums.

Last edited by Dave_L; 11/29/2002 11:38 AM.
Kahuna
Kahuna
And since you have to edit the config.inc.php for your table prefix that would be the best solution IMHO

Thanks Dave

Warm regards

Nikos

Nikos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I was so excited when I checked my email a few moments ago to find that my license to PhotoPost had arrived. Woohoo. So I'm reading the email, and it refers me to a license agreement. I had already read it before I made my order, but I read it again just to make sure it hadn't changed because it was not showing as a link already visited. No change, everything is OK. I read further down the email and I find a warning in reference to warez and what they will do if they catch me! Now don't get me wrong, I don't participate in anything like that. You couldn't find any pirated software on my system, and I don't share copyrighted programs with anyone nor do I accept them from anyone. BUT.....this email which should be a welcome email ended with a freaking threat!!!! What kind of way is that to do business? The point is already made in the license agreement, though not as harsh as what was in this email. Is it me? Am I over reacting or has anybody else felt offended? I am all for people profiting from their work, copyrighting and such. I don't have a problem with that because quite frankly I wouldn't mind making a few bucks myself on something I created. And it SHOULD be stated so in the license agreement, but to add it in the welcome email? And then go so far as to say NOT to mention it to anyone else. Some welcome!

Ok, done ranting. Let me go install it now.

Oh, one thing. I guess this means I shouldn't try installing it on my home machine to make my custom changes before I upload to my server huh? Guess I'll just do it all on the fly......

Addict
Addict
I think they changed that recently due to a lot of pirated copies of photopost going around. There were even people publically advertising they had it, and also had other illegal users trying to get support from the forums. Which is why they changed the system altogether to make you enter a license number to access some of the support areas of the site.

I don't see it as a big problem, it may be a bit harsh but they had various illegal activities going on. Such as even people pretending to send emails as the photopost admin asking for license numbers, etc etc. So it is probably more or less a temporary solution to help curb the illegal copying of the software for a while.

Also, being a fairly new piece of software, they want to ensure they get every penny they earned, because it doesn't take too many illegal copies to completely shut them down due to lack of funds

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I can understand that. I was just taken aback when I was all excited! Maybe I read it wrong, but the way it was written it did appear to single me out, even though I knew that wasn't the intent.

Anyway, I'm FTPing up now. I got my db changed over to w3t_ prefix. I opened the pp install.php and searched for hard coded w3t_. Indeed, it was hardcoded, so it stands to reason that pp 3.1.1 does not support UBBT table prefixes yet.

We'll see how the install goes in a few moments.

#304295 11/29/2002 9:06 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I've looked all over the place at PhotoPost forums and can't find where the solution was for the threads header problems. I saw the hacks posts but they left off without an answer. Otherwise I had a smooth install. Did anyone remedy the problem or are you using straight html in the headers?

Addict
Addict
[]I read further down the email and I find a warning in reference to warez and what they will do if they catch me![/]

Could you post the email here (X-ing out any personal info)?

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Sure.

[] Also a word of caution: Everyone knows about "warez" software and the
fact that fee-based software can "find its way" to public download sites.

We have multiple ways of tracking each PhotoPost archive back to you. Do

not allow your copy of PhotoPost to fall out of your control. If we
discover your copy available for download anywhere or in use on a site
that has no license, we will, without limitation, a.) Pursue every
possible legal remedy, and b.) Terminate your license without refund and

terminate your download access. Of course this need not even be mentioned

to the vast majority of our customers and we thank you!
[/]

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
I went on there looking for help with a bug in my software and posted to their forums. I don't know if I posted in the wrong one or what, but I don't know perl from php or whatever, so I just took a stab at it, figuring I'd get directed to the right place if I was wrong. One of the mods basically told me that I didn't have a license to operate photopost-and that was the end of it. -----Well, I do have a license and I thought it was pretty rude of them. No big deal though, but they weren't exactly customer friendly. They could have asked for my license/registration # or whatever before they assumed I didn't have one.

Josh oooxed me up anyway so it's a moot point now.

Addict
Addict
I'm using straight html with some javascript in my headers.

Addict
Addict
I see your point. That could have been worded more tactfully.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
After doing some more looking thru the code I figured it out. I couldn't see the trees for the forest once again. If ya wanna check it out http://www.fish-tails.net/photopost/

Thanks for everyones help and input!

I will say this, there's a lot lacking in the html/css. Sheesh, back to work again. Later.

fishtails, what was the fix..? i just installed and am getting header errors.

any help would be preciated.

thanks
w

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
3.2 was released earlier today...

I have installed it and pointed to the threads/includes/header.php, header-insert.php. and footer.php files without problems. I added a <body> tag right after </head> tag in pp-inc.php (~line # 264) and added a link to the forum's css stylesheet so that it would take care of the link colors, etc in photopost A little more work than it should be, I think, but turns out well

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
that part in pp-inc.php should look something like this:

[]
$headslide
<link rel="stylesheet" href="/ubbthreads/stylesheets/infopop.css" type="text/css" />
</head><body>";
[/]

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
nice!

I'm still getting the following error after install, any ideas:
[]
Warning: open_basedir restriction in effect. File is in wrong directory in /home/.gumnutblender/climb/cascadeclimbers.com/plab/pp-inc.php on line 221

Warning: open_basedir restriction in effect. File is in wrong directory in /home/.gumnutblender/climb/cascadeclimbers.com/plab/pp-inc.php on line 290
[/]

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
hmmm... make sure you are entering the full paths to those files in your photopost 'options' page

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I just finally saw these last few posts. Wanker, if you're still using 3.1.1 I'll look up what I did when I get home from work tonight. Otherwise, I plan on upgrading to 3.2 since it's out. I hadn't realized there had been a release.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63