Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#305118 04/24/2003 4:46 AM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,286
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,286
George Bernard Shaw once said that the US and the UK were "two countries divided by a common language".

So I thought I would start a list of words that mean something completely different the other side of the pond

US: Jumper - UK: Pinafore
US: Sweater - UK: Jumper
US: Rubber - UK: Condom
US: Eraser - UK: Rubber
US: Chips - UK: Crisps
US: French Fries - UK: Chips
US: Sidewalk - UK: Pavement
US: Trunk - UK: Boot
US: Pants - UK - Trousers
US: Trash - UK - Rubbish

Any more?

[]http://server101.firsthosting.co.uk/images/elephant.gif[/]


Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Sponsored Links
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 2,268
Junior Member
Junior Member
Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 2,268
A true story...

A friend of mine, after having intercourse for the first time with his British girl friend, was pretty upset. When they were finished he asked her if it was good for her, and she said that it was so good she needed a fag.

For those of you who do not know: A fag in British slang is a cigarette...

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,759
Addict
Addict
Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,759
haha.. man, I need to find my list. Before I went to europe last year they gave me a packet full or UK/US terms that are easily misunderstood, and how to not look like a fool when over there It had a good 30 or 40 words, it was pretty interesting.

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,369
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,369
LOL


Too funny.

Daine #305122 04/24/2003 3:19 PM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,609
Addict
Addict
Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,609
US: Flashlight - UK: Torch
US: Drunk - UK: Pissed
US: Soccer - UK: Football
US: Football - UK: Gridiron
US: Pansies - UK: French
US: Apartment - UK: Flat
US: Bathroom - UK: Water Closet
US: Elevator - UK: Lift
US: Gas - UK: Petrol
US: Mail - UK: Post
US: Vacation - UK: Holiday
US: Horny - UK: Randy

And how about spelling differences?

US: Color - UK: Colour
US: Favorite - UK: Favourite
US: Honor - UK: Honour
US: Center - UK: Centre
US: Meter - UK: Metre
US: Theater - UK: Theatre
US: Check - UK: Cheque
US: Program - UK: Programme

Last edited by AKD96; 04/24/2003 3:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,369
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,369
As long as I can find the bathroom wherever I go.... I'm a happy camper.

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,286
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,286
US: Pansies - UK: French

Pansies are flowers, and the french live over the channel - so not totally sure, what you mean here

US: Bathroom - UK: Water Closet

We just call it the toilet - the bathroom contains a bath, whereas the toilet contains a toilet


Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,369
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,369
"Toilet" got me ever where I needed to be in Italy too.

Although a good many unisex restrooms, and restrooms that charged were a bit surprising.

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 338
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 338
hehe.. I know american ,no english

Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,609
Addict
Addict
Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,609
"Pansies" is American slang for sissies, wussies, or cowards.

Sponsored Links
Daine #305128 04/25/2003 12:14 AM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 2,268
Junior Member
Junior Member
Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 2,268
What's funny about Italy (and the Mediteranian in general) is the real lack of any standards. Countless times I've stood staring at a toilet trying to figure out how to flush the silly thing! Don't get me started on the light bulbs here...

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,369
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,369
Yeah, and turning on the sink was a challenge.

Don't get me started on attempting to turn on the TVs in all the various hotels we were in, usually required a "conference" from several of us to figure it out. And there was one hotel where none of us could turn on the TV with the remote. LOL

Daine #305130 04/25/2003 12:21 AM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 610
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 610
Josh, the remotes in that hotel are just a decorative convenience for the average American male who tends to feel alone without his remote control.

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 610
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 610
I don't suppose they had a keyboard, mouse, and monitor not working in there too?

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,369
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,369
I did use the keyboard at one place and hop on the net. But some of the keys were in different places Like the accents and apostrophe etc....

It was difficult to type.

Daine #305133 04/25/2003 10:39 AM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,759
Addict
Addict
Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,759
[]JoshPet said:
I did use the keyboard at one place and hop on the net. But some of the keys were in different places Like the accents and apostrophe etc....

It was difficult to type. [/]

haha, so true!

I can type upwards of 125wpm so as soon as a key or two is off, I literally go insane! When I was in france the keyboards were not completely different, but enough of the important keys were changed that I had to almost chicken peck to type

palmen #305134 04/25/2003 11:50 AM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,369
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,369
he he

When I got home an re-read my "italy update" to everyone here, looks like the apostrophe was in wacky places.

I spent quite a bit trying to help a (sexy) woman in our group into hotmail. It kept coming up in Italian (imagine that) and I finally figured out to change the &lang=it in the URL to &lang=en and it worked. LOL

We only saw 2 net connected computers on our busy tour. The first one we saw, there was another lady on our tour who walked in, smiled at the computer, and said "I don't care if it costs $100/minute, I'm doin' email!"

Daine #305135 04/25/2003 2:47 PM
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,191
Kahuna
Kahuna
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,191
You are talking about American/English. Here is a nice story for you all.

I was brought up in Greece and there everyone speaks American English (allow me this expression Ian ). I also had huge influences from the TV which almost always played American movies.

The keyboards in Greece are identical to the ones in the US, (for instance where the @ sign is etc.)

Coming to the UK for studies I was horrified to see that some of our tutors were deducting points because I was spelling behavior instead of behaviour. I had a fit there!

Every computer at work has UK settings apart from all the servers and mine (needless to say that nobody touches the servers this way)

A couple of years back I met my other half who is English. The amount of times we "fight" over chips and crisps and french fries is not measurable. At some point she started calling crisps chips and I started calling chips french fries....

Where is a banana when you need it


Nikos
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,286
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,286
Nice one

I actually use a US keyboard, but with a UK setting - only one snag to that I have no backslash.

It is a nice cordless one that I puchased in Florida on a business trip - my client paid me to travel to his house in Florida, to set up VNC - a 5 minute job

When I got to his house his PC was riddled with viruses, he couldn't understand why he had 15,000+ emails in his outbox - had to reformat his PC - then discovered he had no software to re-install - ended up having to extend my stay to around 5 days

I think the viruses/VNC (which was freeware) cost him around £3,000 ($4,500) - a new PC would have been a lot cheaper for him.

I mean if a client says 'Will you fly half way around the world, all expenses paid - would you refuse?'



Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 206
Member
Member
Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 206
I've just gotta used to the French-Canadian keyboard, and now find it easier than US English. Partly because I no longer need to use ascii codes for accented words, but also because I can reach <> tags with only one hand now (rightalt-, and rightalt-. in this keyboard setting)


Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
• Shock Hosting
• Stable Host
• bluehost
• InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Zarzal
Zarzal
Berlin, Germany
Posts: 808
Joined: July 2001
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,583
Posts293,955
Members13,825
Most Online151,614
Nov 14th, 2025
Today's Statistics
Currently Online 4876
Topics Created 0
Posts Made 0
Users Online 0
Birthdays 1
Top Posters
AllenAyres 21,080
JoshPet 10,369
LK 7,394
Lord Dexter 6,708
Gizmo 5,834
Greg Hard 4,625
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Likes Received
isaac 82
Gizmo 20
Brett 7
WebGuy 2
Morgan 2
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
The UBB.Developers Network (UBB.Dev/Threads.Dev) is ©2000-2026 VNC Web Services

 
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260108)