82% voted "yes"

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Congratulations!

Cool.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
How do you think things will get better for you personally? Do you think the economy will improve?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Yes, how does it benefit Poland, and do you think England will follow suit?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
Veteran
Veteran
Allen - we are already in the EU And we want out!!

Poland may enjoy being governed by another country and another nationality the British do not!

There are a few key people who want Europe to effectively become a groupe of states like the US.

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
That's pretty much what the EU is: the United States of Europe...

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Personally. I like the Euro. It makes it easier when traveling from one country to the next. I can change my USD's for just one currency, and only need to remember one exchange rate. Plus, if you have left over money, you can still use it.

I also like how even though the coins are the same, each one has a design for that country. Much better than the State Quarters.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
That's what I meant I guess, there's been talk of maybe converting pounds to the euro and becoming more involved in the EU. I am guessing most of the British except for some businessmen want out?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Veteran
Veteran
Yes - 90% of voters to a poll on a national radio station last week voted that they want to leave the EU.

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I agree whe currency was easier to deal with - although lots of places we went - the cash registers put Lyra and Euro on the receipt.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Italian Lira was almost like monopoly money. You buy an ice cream cone, and it's like 15 billion lira

Did the stores still accept Lira? or just Euro?

When we were in Italy last year, we only used Euro.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Everyone accepted just Euro to my knowledge.

Yeah, stuff marked in Lira was really inflated. LOL

A bunch of us had brought Euro Travelers Checks from AAA - figured it would be easier to have their own currency. WRONG. Nobody took them, or if they did there was a huge fee.

One hotel told us they couldn't take them because of the war. I said "It's your own currency!". Duh-huh.

One bank told me they took them but only before noon.

Thankfully the tour company would take them as payment for our tours - which only left me with about $100 Euro travelers checks to deal with. American Travelers Checks were much easier to cash - and it was by far easiest to get Euro out of an ATM.

Kahuna
Kahuna
I think the problem in the UK lies with the national identity of the country. The British are very proud of what they have (and quite right so) even if it is against the whole world i.e. driving on the wrong side of the road (now I duck because Ian will throw something at me) It has been more than 15 years that metric is the official system taught at school but even if you teach a kid to measure in meters and centimeters out on the real world everyone counts in feet

I have heard of the butcher that was thrown in jail (I didn't hear about a grocerer Ian) because he refused to put the weight of meat in kilos. The directives state that you must specify kilos as your weight measurement. Once you do that you can put anything you like next to it i.e. pounds, ounces etc. This is what I meant by pride. The particular butcher stated on TV that he is British and that he won't change anything. This is a similar attitude that everyone else follows. "They are going to take away something that it is British" i.e. the pound (although the British pound came as an influence from the Italians but this is another story altogether)

I believe that the Euro will bring more benefits to the UK since the pound will not have to compete with the economies of 12 other countries like the US Dollar does right now. Exports will benefit since there won't be any exchange rates on goods/services. Also the adoption of the Euro will bring loads of new opportunities for consumer shopping from neighboring countries.

There will be bad things as well though. For instance if the government isn't very careful in policing the prices we will have a mini chaos and exploitation from the merchants. In Greece for instance everything became one euro. You go and buy some dill or oregano and the price should have been 30 cents now it is 1 Euro... Also the government will loose money in the short run from the loss of exchange rate conversions but it will benefit in the long run. Who knows perhaps they will revisit the taxing system and introduce one that is a lot fairer and we don't have to pay huge tax on cars and petrol.

It will be either some really bold and determined politics that will say ok we will enter the monetary union or many years will pass since the whole nation changes attitude towards the Euro.

Nikos
Veteran
Veteran
Goes off to jam up Green Lanes..... thought of you on Saturday, as I drove past your road

The point is we have more connections with the US, than Europe.

We hate the French, as much as they hate us - we don't mention the war and as for the Greeks they tried to jail some of our nationals who are into plane spotting

Runs quickly......

What is "plane spotting"?

Veteran
Veteran
Bit like train spotting, except for planes

Have you seen Pushing Tin. If so, is it what the did in that? I've heard trainspotting several times before but do not know what it is.

Veteran
Veteran
Train spotting involves watching and recording train engine numbers often at railways stations - and plane spotting involves recording different types of planes at airports

What's wrong with that?

Veteran
Veteran
Nothing - yet they put them in jail for it Got out after several appeals - accused them of spying Didn't do the tourist trade much good - shame as parts of Greece are very nice, and the people very friendly.

Its a mad mad world.

Veteran
Veteran
Sure is - and it is helped by the mad British

As the song goes 'Mad dogs of an Englishman go out in the mid-day sun'

Power User
Power User
[]Slawek_L said:
Poland is in UE

60% people voted
82% voted "yes" [/]

I`m vary happy

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I think that gennerally in Poland will be better. Now in Poland is ~20% unemployments so I think that in UE decreses this value.
And our country wait for money from UE to (for ex.) build new highways, ect.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
People are in England very conservative, so they don't want Euro, don't want UE...
England is island which want to be independent of rest countries - it's my opinion.

Kahuna
Kahuna
The problem with plane spotting is not the act itself but the planes themselves. Almost all commercial airports in Greece have a military airport nearby so by law photography is prohibited - and trust me there are a million signs there.

The funny thing was one of the people had notes about military planes as well and allegedly he had been to Turkey recently - hence the spying accusations.

I think it was a stupid political game. The people were convicted, jailed and released. All in a matter of weeks.

In my view either you have solid evidence -> convict them or you don't -> let them go. It was a stupid over publicised event.

Nikos
Kahuna
Kahuna
Good point Ian, but the US and the UK will not be able to fight the Euro alone. It will be too difficult... but then again...

LOL I know about the French....

BTW: You should have stopped by for a coffee... in the good old Greek Lanes

Nikos
Veteran
Veteran
LOL - I am to busy trying to dodge those pesky kids in your neck of the woods, who are trying to clean my windscreen of my car

[]Ian_W said:
LOL - I am to busy trying to dodge those pesky kids in your neck of the woods, who are trying to clean my windscreen of my car [/]

Sounds like Naples! We call them the "window cleaning moffia"

Here in Italy something odd happened: Things got so expensive that people ask for 1 Euro of an item rather than buying by weight like they did with the Lire...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849