Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#306756 08/15/2003 2:36 AM
hello everyone, before i begin with my post i just want to let everyone know right off that i'm a noob with this stuff so thanks for your patience. i am learning...slowly
I am looking at setting up a forum for my new website. As far as forum software is concerned i was thinking of using UBB Threads by Infopop. I have been playing with the demo software and I enjoy it alot. However i recently came across a security article that outlines how this software can be easily taken advantage of by the use of SQL hacking. Now i know the version of the software they review is outdated compared to the current version, but my question is...is it still possible to do something like the article outlines with the current UBBthreads software? the last thing i would want on my new forum is some mystery administrator or to have my database dumped . Anyways, thanks

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
That article talks about the perl version of wwwthreads and not about the current ubb.threads version. Security has been much improved during the years.
There's no known way to exploit ubb.threads at the moment. There has been some security fixes during but Infopop reacts very quickly if necessary.

I don't understand your last question, sorry.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I think it's very secure.

Yeah, that's not really an issue anymore.... First of all it's no longer written in Perl. And all the globals are registed at the top of every script... so you can't add variables into the URL of a script - as the top of every script goes through every variable that it uses right at the very top.

For example

// Get the input
$Cat = get_input("Cat","get");
$Baord = get_input("Board","get");
$Whatever = get_input("Whatever","post");
$FooMoo = get_input("FooMoo","both");

This will tell each script how it's allowed to accept variables. Either by get, or post, or both. If the variable is received from the wrong method... it ends up empty.

Dave_L is probably the best one to comment on security issues. He's really good at that.

awesome you have answered all my questions exactly

Addict
Addict
And all the globals are registed at the top of every script...

Not all of the modifications posted here do that, though, even recent ones. If you're concerned about security, be careful about adding mods.

Sponsored Links
so what is the difference between wwwthreads and ubbthreads? I am a member of the Futuremark.com Forums and i notice they use wwwthreads. i really like their layout and was hoping to have something similar. If it is different, is it the same or more/less secure than ubbthreads? Does it have more options as far as configurability go?

Veteran
Veteran
Prior to Infopo buying the product about 15 months ago, it was known as wwwthreads and was owned by Rick Baker, who today is still the man behind the code It was renamed ubbthreads to fit into the product line of Infopop.

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
so the version of wwwthreads that they have is exactly the same as the latest version of ubbthreads? it seems different because i'm not seeing the php at the top?

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
It would appear that futuremark is using the perl version of .threads but I am not sure what perl version. The perl version is no longer supported I believe. Hope that helps.

Addict
Addict
No, they use the perl version of wwwthreads. Rick ported the whole thing to php. As Ian said, Infopop buyed wwwthreads several months ago, renamed it to ubb.threads.
The old perl versions isn't maintained any more.

So with buying ubb.threads you get a advanced and brand new model of wwwthreads. Developed in php and not in perl. Many more feature, more secure, more reliable and easier to use.

Sponsored Links
Veteran
Veteran
No - the versions have come on a long way since the www days - I am guessing that they are running a 5.xx perl version.

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
so if their version is so old, i wonder why they havn't upgraded. does infopop offer free updates or do you have to pay extra?

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
And wwwthreads license holders pay a greatly reduced rate for upgrades.

Veteran
Veteran
Yep

Addict
Addict
Threads has come a long way, it's very secure and confident in itself, oh sure there was some low times, but it's self esteem is on the mend..

- Custom Web Development
http://www.JCSWebDev.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849