Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#310599 11/18/2003 10:24 AM
Addict
Addict
I've been working on an integration of Mambo Open Source with the UBB.threads database and have a working version for Mambo 4.0.x. However, the 4.5 version of Mambo is just around the corner and the integration is not compatible since the user system has changed considerably.

Since I don't have time to do this at the moment unless I have an incentive I was wondering if some of you would be interested in donating enough money to me to pay for a new threads license. If so I could set aside some things to get the integration updated since I really need a new threads license (or else a site I'm starting with a few others will use phpBB2, eek!).

Mambo Open Source is a very powerful CMS which is very easy to install and administrate, as well as developing new components, modules and templates for. Changing the entire look of the site is as easy as uploading a zip-file in the administrator page.

Sponsored Links
I would donate a few to help pay for a license to see a Mambo integration with Threads become reality

You should set up a paypal account specifically for this venture and post the link here. Anyone interested could donate a few bucks to this venture. When enough money is in the account to get you a Threads License you cut it off get your copy of Threads and post a thank you.

Also just a note are you going for a secondary license or just need to updated for a member renewal?

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
well, I'll donate a small amount as well...

I could see kicking in a few bucks, the Mambo integration is something we would like to have. Besides, you have provided some cool hacks, and alot of good advice.

Addict
Addict
Thank you all three, that is much appreciated.

Unfortunately, according to the PayPal rules I'm not allowed to set up another account since I already have two.

It is possible to donate to my current PayPal account though and specify that it's for the Mambo integration by using this link.

I am in need of a second license, which is $229 if I'm not mistaken.

Sponsored Links
Okay so you are setting up a second site with another DOMAIN name to use as a mambo test site or rather you will be adding threads to you current mambo site which does not have threads. Yep 229.00

Would hate to lose gardners expertise to another board... sending money immediately.

btw what is mambo

Addict
Addict
Hehe, thanks for the money. You want loose me anyway, I promise. Whenever I try another board as a user I get a headache. =] Otoh, if I hade to split my time by admining a phpbb2 forum as well I would get less done for threads.

Mambo Open Source is a content management system which is very easy to install and even easier to administrate. It allows you to set up a site within minutes, and there are lots of free good-looking templates availble, as well as many people who you can buy even better customized templates from. It can be used like the IIP, but since you can also have articles, news, photo galleries, guestbooks, user blogs (written by me!) and much, much more it becomes much more of a real website.

You can see the current stable version, although heavily modified, at my site www.rollspel.nu which already runs a UBB.threads integration. The new 4.5 version of Mambo will be released soon though, which is almost a complete rebuild with lots of new functions, so much of the integration has to be rewritten. Unfortunately, paying jobs always come first-hand, even though I want the 4.5 integration as well so I can upgrade. BTW, the integration would be for UBB.threads 6.4.

I've only got two payments so far, of a total of $40, so there still is some way to go yet. I will ask for the same thing over at the Mambo forums soon too though to try to get this going.

Okay I sent you 20 bucks as well to get you going with Mambo Integration on Threads.

Would be nice to see some more people contribute to this project besides 3 people.

Come on People you do not need to donate alot. Hell 2 dollars 5 dollars is nothing but it adds up. Imagine being able to choose between IIP and Mambo. This is what this project basically does. Mambo is an open source site with many modules that are fully configurable.

Sponsored Links
Journeyman
Journeyman
sent you some cash, for all your PHP help in the past year, plus i'd love to see this happen. i have server space available for use as well.

Addict
Addict
Thank you guys!

I'm now up to 5 payments of a total of $105, so we're getting closer. I still have some other paying work which will take precedence but I'll let you know once I'm getting close to have something to show.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I just contributed some as well.... so you should be a bit closer.

Addict
Addict
Yes, thank you very much! It's getting close now!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
You've got cash.

UH OH Olle's getting closer.

Addict
Addict
Thank you for the payment Steve!

All in all I've recieved $185 so it is really close now.

Yep another 44 and your there.

Addict
Addict
Yes, that's fantastic. The only negative thing about it is that I'll soon have to start working with it. =] Will probably not be able to start with it until after the holidays though.

Okay, I just dropped $44.00 into your account which should complete this for you. You do great work here Gardener, glad to help out!

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho

Yep as Olle feared before TIME TO GET CRACKING lol guess he will be extremely busy after the holidays

Addict
Addict
Thank you eric! Now I have enough to buy the new threads license! I will start writing on the integration first thing after new years'!

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
I was first

Journeyman
Journeyman
4.5 has also been released!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I just downloaded MOS 4.5 a couple of days ago. Really neat program. Gardener, I would be interested in your conversion as well. I realize you've got enough money, but I would be willing to donate something towards your efforts anyway. Where do I donate?

What is the status of the conversion? I had been toying with the idea of creating a CMS from the ground up completely based on threads but I really don't have the time. I did start an article thingy based on threads ( see http://www.fish-tails.net/article.php ) which simply uses a modified version of the newspost from the addon directory that comes with threads. I am trying to launch an eMagazine by March, so with that being said, 3 cheers for Gardener!

Oh, by the way. I'm not real crazy about the links module that comes with MOS. How easy would it be to convert TLD to a module? I took a look at the developer guide but I was thouroughly confused. Thanks.

Addict
Addict
Yes MOS 4.5 is fantastic and I'd really like to upgrade my 4.0 site to it. I just released a 4.5 site this weekend, which is running threads as well, but unfortunately I've been swamped and haven't been able to finish the integration yet. I will work on it more once I have some other things out of the way though.

If you'd like to donate you can do so via PayPal to the email in my profile.

I think it would be easier to expand on the links module in Mambo rather than porting TLD actually. There is some very good base code in the Mambo components which is very easy to expand on. If someone hasn't released a component for it once I've finished all the other components I have to write I will probably start working on that. That will most definately be quite some time into the future though.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
You should receive a paypal donation notification soon. Any update on this? Also, if I have PhotoPost integrated into my threads install, will it revert with the mambo hack as well?

Addict
Addict
I'm not sure about PhotoPost, if it uses threads cookies it should work together, but since I don't own a PhotoPost license myself I won't know for sure until someone has tested it.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I'll be glad to do the test. How is the integration coming so far, and have you looked at the threads 6.5 beta or are you a beta tester?

The Photopost Integration works off the Threads user database so thus if you integrate to login sequences between Mambo and such it should work as well

Old Hand
Old Hand
Actually I have gotten alot of programs to autehnicate off the threads db

It is not hard

I am actually working on some authentication modules for Photopost.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Bill B
Bill B
Issaquah, WA
Forum Statistics
Forums63