Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Author: Gizmo (James of VNC Web Design)

This is for UBB.Threads versions PRIOR TO v7.3, for versions AFTER v7.3 please use this

Requirements:
  • Valid UBB.Threads 7.0 install and license
  • pjIRC (freely obtainable from SourceForge)

This will not work with UBB.T versions 7.3 or above, instead, see here.

About:
This addon will allow you to integrate the freely available Java IRC client pJIRC.

Unlike other jIRC applets out there, this one is free, and open source. It has a large community built behind it, and has excelled in features compared to others for years.

Demo:
I currently don't have a demo of this available on my test site (as I don't need it integrated into my forum) however you can see the pJIRC script itself in action here.

File History
2245 - Chat Addon v0.1 (2245-chat.zip) - Released: 07/30/2006 - Initial build.
2329 - Chat Addon v0.2 (2330-chatv02.zip) - Released: 01/01/2007 - Bug Fixes, Feature Additions, etc.
2330 - Chat Addon v0.2 Reloaded - Released: 01/01/2007 - Fixed a quick syntax error in chat.tmp
2337 - Chat Addon v0.3 (2337-chatv03.zip) - Released: 01/08/2007 - Added several new "advanced strings", including restricted/allowed commands/channels strings (with ticks in the main configuration in the language file).
2491 - Chat Addon v0.4 (chatv04.zip) - Released: 09/30/2007 - Spaces in nicknames are now converted to _'s so that user PDN's display properly when logging in (spaces in nicknames are not allowed according to the IRC standards). Also updated the revision in the readme for once wink... I've also added instructions to the readme that show users logged into the chat in the WOL.
2526 - Chat Addon v0.5 (chatPre73v05.zip) - Released: 05/12/2008 - Repaired a syntax error in the language file and preformed some minor code updates to go in line with the 7.3+ version.

As of v0.2 this addon supports every major option that the pJIRC has, there aren't (yet) ticks for every option in the language file; but advanced users can edit the template file to edit the standard options (I've included all of the major options set to default values in the template file).

NOTE
This script, by default, assumes you have pJIRC installed in a /irc directory under your forum install; you can override this directory in the configuration.

Future Plans
  • I'm giving thought to a process of providing a smilies legend for the smiley support which will allow users to select smilies from the legend and have them populate into the chat box.
  • I'm contemplating utilizing a pjirc.cfg file vs defining everything in the html.

NOTICE:
It has come to my attention that some people are assuming that you must run your own server in order to utilize this modification. It is NOT a requirement to run your own IRC Server to run this addon; you can use any of the millions of irc servers online (a large list is available here) to connect to. Additionally I also operate an open irc server that anyone is welcome to use; by default this is the server in the configuration (irc.undergroundnews.com).
Attachments
2245-chat.zip (3.9 KB, 146 downloads)
SHA1: 1abf51a94b05a506451d4e3df2710f97eecddc6f
2330-chatv02.zip (5.14 KB, 55 downloads)
SHA1: 92b13fda115a65693a91c14b19491369900fa360
2337-chatv03.zip (5.77 KB, 69 downloads)
SHA1: eb946705bf085e0e51d422e3d3e52ebd37994b11
chatv04.zip (5.9 KB, 26 downloads)
SHA1: 739e50e1be3355891f3499b0e8aef8f2fdd89d22
chatPre73v05.zip (5.86 KB, 9 downloads)
SHA1: ee1e38a73338a0245ba0f7b80689530705bab01f

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
nice, thank you smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
NP, saw plenty of people use the UBB.c version for jIRC; figured I'd offer everyone a FREE alternative (as jIRC isn't free, yet pJIRC is; plus has more features) smile.

Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
This was my next project Gizzy smile I've already integrated pJIRC with my classic and I was going to convert it to integrate with Threads 7.

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Well, you're more than welcome to poke with what I have and provide input and sugguestions Ron hehe...

Sponsored Links
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Bug Fix:

in /scripts/chat.inc.php
Change {$ubbt_lang['LOGIN_PROMPT']} to {$ubbt_lang['CHAT']}

in /readme.txt
Find:
// EDIT: languages/english/genaric.php
Replace with:
// EDIT: languages/english/generic.php

Also, you should name your folders in your zip exactly how they are in the UBB7 Zip to prevent confusion.

I already have a pJIRC install on my server. I ended up hacking the tpl file to point to my existing directory. I didn't want to have 2 instances of the same software on my server unless I absolutely have to. Might not be a bad idea to move that to the lang file with your default assigned to the pref, but allow the user to edit the lang file to point to an existing install instead of forcing /forums/irc.

I saw the placeholder URLs for this thread. I didn't bother pointing those out becaue I assumed those were a FIXME for you already wink

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
I'll do a refresh when i get a little more time; i ahve some things i wanna update

LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
Very nice job smile

Power User
Power User
So, will this allow only logged-in (Threads 7.0) forum members to enter the room (without lurkers)? Or would I need the RaiderSoft Platinum version...?

Thanks,

JG

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.3)
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Honorable Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Browser: Firefox 2.0
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
This doesn't use Raidersoft... this uses the pJIRC script; and it allows only logged in users to utilize the module...

Sponsored Links
Power User
Power User
I only asked cuz the "demo" link allowed me to log in, while not a member of that site. I want a chatroom that will TRULY incorporate into Threads (you need to be logged into Threads to enter the chatroom) cuz I don't want unauthorized guests. AND, it'd be cool -- as the Raidersoft hack post said -- for Who's Online to also report who's in the chatroom.

I'm kinda assuming that I'd need the other hack (and the Raidersoft Premium account) to do this... right? Or no?

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.3)
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Honorable Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Browser: Firefox 2.0
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
You can set it to allow public users or to only allow members, theres a switch in the one file (chat.inc.php):
Code
		"regonly" => 1,

By default it is set to only allow regged users, you can set it to "0" to allow anyone to access it.

I'm not entirely sure how to add it to the WOL yet, but I'll take a gander in a future revision.

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
21 downloads so far; if you install please let me know your forum, I'd love to take a gander smile

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
I'll be shooting for v0.2 here within the next week, been doing some work and found some duplicate code in the applet section, so it'll be more code cleanup than anything... I'll be adding some triggers in as well to allow you to adjust things easier (versus having to look them up you will be able to change the values)

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Updated to build v0.2, I fixed all of the reported bugs, and built in all of the standard options, however a lot of them must be adjusted through the template file (advanced users only).

I built some added ticks in the language file for some features, including colors. Additionally I added functionality for Ron's request to allow users to indicate the url of an already installed pJIRC versus having to add a second install to their server (should someone already have the pJIRC installed).

I've also built in the ability for sounds to be used, this is mainly through the /beep command and private messages.

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
I'm thinking that in the next build i'll add a smilie legend if you have graphical smilies enabled; then make it so users can click the smilies and they'll be inserted into the chat... The best part of graphical smilies is that users with "normal" clients just see the text variable for the smilie; Such as: smile frown tipsy

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
I refreshed the download for v0.2, there was a syntax error in the chat.tmp file (basically i defined the language strings improperly so the color matching wasn't working).

Only one person grabbed this before I noticed, so if you've already installed 0.2 please replace your chat.tmp file with the one in the current zip.

Lurker
Lurker
Gizzy.. I just installed your V0.2 and pJIRC for the first time on my site (with UBB.t 7.02). Works great. There is an inherent bug however that should be addressed. It has to do with working around the iirc requirement dateing back decades that the first character in a user name on IRC may not be a number. So a Message Board user with the name 123Sam will get an "Invalid User Name" error. Can you modify the script to sense the first character of the screen name (I'm assuming that's the field you're using.. at least I hope so), and if numeric, to prepend the user name with some character or string defined by the admin? That would be great. This same problem existed on the old jIRC hack for UBB.c. It may have been corrected in later versions.

I've installed it on my site.. but it's only visisble to members. Feel free to sign up Gizzy.

Thanks!

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Yeh by default it's only viewable to members (iirc i set it to regged only in the script file).

As for the bug you've mentioned, you've got a point; I'll take and give some thought into it...

Lurker
Lurker
Thanks for looking into it Giz. By viewable to members, I meant I placed it in the header in such a way that it is only viewable to members who've logged in. Are you saying I didn't need to do that.. that the board already senses the Regged only flag and will display the chat link only to members? Oh well.. it works. smile

As for the user name issue.. let me revise to say any non-Alpha character (A-Z) as the first character needs special handling. I'm not sure of the breath of allowable characters in users names for UBB (special characters enabled). Looking at my user list, I see I have some usernames on the message board that start with an apostrophe ('), others that start with a dash (-), and many that start with a numeral (0-9).

Thanks

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
It already senses that it's members only, completely stock. If you look in the scripts file you'll see the line:
Code
		"regonly" => 1,
"admin_only" => 0,
"admin_or_mod" => 0,

By default, regonly is set to 1, which means that it will not allow it to be loaded unless you're a registered user, all done automagically (and easy to update if you want it to allow un-regged users).

It will however show the LINK TO it, however it will give an error "You must be logged in to use this feature" (or something similar, i don't recall the exact wordlet used).

Yeh, it'll need to allow only 0-9,a-z,A-Z and not start with a number; i could strip numbers and special characters out alltogether, but that woudln't solve too much as then you'd have the possibility for users using eachothers nicknames (you can, in this version, remove the nickname change box, and most users don't know about the /nick command; whch i could also filter, I'm contemplating introducing the filtered commands option in the next build)...

Will be giving it some thought though...

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
I think the next build will focus on the "allowed" and "disallowed" commands options with the pjirc, so one could limit their users from changing their nicknames, connecting to other servers, joining other channels, etc.

I'll also be looking into ways to deal with users whos names start with a number, but without having to strip out all numbers... Although this is kind of beyond the scope of this addon (it's more an IRC specification issue if anything)

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Well, I'm almost done with v0.3; I've added the allowed/disallowed commands/join channels/part channels options, and i've updated to add several other options. I've also updated the message strings on the language file to conform with eachother now lol.

As for my thoughts on using a pjirc.cnf file, at this point i've decided against it, as I wouldn't be able to utilize options via language strings to be edited in the control panel, and a lot of the option is through those at this point...

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Version 0.3 was just released, main new features are:
1. Ability to restrict users to specified channels (they will be unable to join any other channels).
2. Ability to restrict users from leaving specified channels (they will be unable to part any listed channels.
3. Ability to restrict users use to irc commands (either grant them access to use or to not use certain commands).

I have been toying with a smilie legend which would allow users to click on a smilie and have it populate to the chat box, this however didn't make the cut for v0.3 but will likely appear in 0.4 or 0.5 which currently have no ETA (which are at this point depending on pJIRC plugins or features not yet covered by our integration).

Lurker
Lurker
Uploaded and works great Gizzy.. cept now I have the number "1" in the extreme upper left corner of the page, above the UBB header include.

Also.. you forgot to update the rev in your readme file. smile

Edit: Figured out where the "1" was coming from. This time around I set the "refresh" parameter in chat.inc.php from "0" to "1" to see if that worked. Didn't seem to refresh.. and got the 1 in the upper left. Is that refresh feature operational?

Last edited by Z65_Paul; 01/09/2007 3:29 AM.
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Crap, I upgraded the rev everywhere else, go fig lol... At least I got the support url posted everywhere lol...

My brother kept txting me when i was working on everything, so blaime any bugs on that (I'll update it in 0.4 when I get to it).

I haven't ever used the refresh paramater, so I have no idea; but i'm glad it wasn't a bug in mine, cas I hadn't seen that anywhere when i was testing lol...

Have you gotten to testing out the filters in 0.3? I found them rather nice smile

Lurker
Lurker
I've added this irc thing:
http://www.femistyle.be/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=chat

I want to use someting that can replace the Shout Box, since that is so popular it generates 90% server load
tread about that:
http://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ub...femistyle&topic=0&Search=true#Post173180

Now this Addon requires extra software on client side (most of my users don't like that), but, it took one only 5 minutes to enter the chatroom using someone else his/her username (he just looked at te source code of webpage to figure that out)..
I want to avoid this.

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
A JVM (Java Virtual Machine) is a requirement for this modification as the pJIRC is coded in Java and the JVM runs the java application (as is the jIRC client which was an earlier (and non-free) choice for this mod's integration file).

The FlashChat that I mentioned also requires a 3rd party program to run (well 2 if you include the $5 flashchat application) which is the Adobe (formerly Macromedia) Flash Player. There is currently no FlashChat integration file available.

Lurker
Lurker
Any suggestions how I can avoid people connecting with an other one's username?

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Theres a section called "disallowed commands" in languages/chat.php (~line 23), make it read:
Code
all-nick

This will make it so users cannot use the "nick" command to change their nicknames.

Then you can also remove the "nickname" box by editing templates/default/chat.tpl by changing this line (~line 20):
Code
<param name="pixx:nickfield" value="true">

to:
Code
<param name="pixx:nickfield" value="false">

There are a LOT of integers in the chat.tpl file, as stated in the main post I made just about every option there is with the pJIRC script available there for "advanced" users.

A quick FYI, you can use the command filter to filter the join command as well to restrict people to one channel; an alternative for this would be to use the channel join filter (in the chat language file, ~line 21) to filter "none+#yourchannel" or "none+#yourchannel+#yourchannel2".

Last edited by Gizmo; 01/15/2007 8:47 AM. Reason: added line numbers

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
I guess I should also point out that if you revoke a users ability to change their name, and you have the reg only filter turned off (it's on by default so it'll always take the users forum nickname as their default nickname) that users who are not logged in will login to the chat as "guest" and they will be unable to change their nickname until they login to your forums and reload the chat page.

Lurker
Lurker
I have another question, probaly some paramater but I'm really not experienced with irc.

I connect the chatroom with a Belgian Kreynet server (fast respons). but on that server are of course other chatrooms. The server demands unique nicknames.. So this evening I had a user who could not connect because the nick name was already in use.

Any solution for that? Without giving them permission to change the nickname?

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
If the nickname on the server is "in use" it should assign them their nickname with 5 random characters behind it (as that's what it was scripted to do).

you can validate this behavior by opening the chat.tpl file and finding this line:
Code
<param name="alternatenick" value="{$user.USER_DISPLAY_NAME}?????">

The only issue I can think of is if their nickname is a protected server name (such as root, serv, or admin, etc; something blacklisted as a server only name) If they're getting an error I'll need to see it to be able to say anything either way (it shouldn't just not allow them to load)

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
It'd likely be best if you could get them to take a screenshot of the error on their browser, as well as provide what their display name is as well.

Veteran
Veteran
Works fine. However my members seem to prefer the shoutbox as a chat room LOL

BTW - if this was linked to whos online, then when someone was in the chatroom a line could appear at the top of the page saying 'x members are in the chatroom - why not join them' with a link to the chat room smile

This was an extra added by Josh in an older version and worked well.

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Well that sounds interesting, but would only relay any users using the script vs logged inthrough other means (ie a real irc client, or logged in from a seperate javairc instance...

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
I'll include this in the next release's readme, but in the meantime, if you want to have users show up in the WoL as 'In the "Chat Room"' then do the following:

In /languages/english/online.php (you should do this for every language you have if you have more than just english)
Find:
Code
$ubbt_lang['previewsig'] = "Previewing their signature.";

Add After:
Code
$ubbt_lang['chat'] = "In the \"Chat Room\"";

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
v0.4 released (contemplated waiting till midnight to be the first posted in Oct); changes:
  • Spaces in nicknames are now converted to _'s so that user PDN's display properly when logging in (spaces in nicknames are not allowed according to the IRC standards).
  • Updated the revision in the readme for once wink (hasn't been changed since 0.2!)...
  • Added instructions to the readme that show users logged into the chat in the WOL.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Cause he's cool like that.

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Item #1 added cas Tiff didn't have any backups and kept bugging me tonight until I re-invented the wheel wink...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849