UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Name: UBB.Sitemaps
Author: James Corthell, VNC Web Services
Requirements: UBB.threads 7.x
Current Version: 20191222
Documentation: Up to date documentation is available at the UBB.Wiki entry UBB.Sitemaps

About:
This addon takes just moments to install, it gathers your forum topic links and exports them as a sitemap that you can add to Google, yahoo, or just about any search engine which utilizes sitemaps.

The configuration options allow you to specify which type of sitemap you wish to use and weather you wish to plugin threaded or flat view. The sitemap type and view type can both be set either hard coded or via url string.

Simply enter the URL to your sitemap install into your Google sitemap list (here) and google will automatically grab copies of your thread links every week.

What are the security aspects?:
Well, the sitemap will ignore threads in private forums (if a guest cannot *see* them then the sitemap will not publish the link). Also, threads that are not approved will not show either (same aspect as above).

What is a sitemap?:
A sitemap will take and provide all of your current threads to search engines, thus eliminating the wait of "new discovery" of new pages on your forums.

You can read about the benefits of using sitemaps via the below quoted article from Google Webmaster Tools.

Please note that this addon does not create a sitemap for your entire site, and only creates one for your forum.

Demo: As this addon doesn't utilize a cache, no active demo is available, however you can see example output via the attachment screen shots.

Install Instructions:
The install is quite simple, after receiving the software via email simply open the php file and place your MySQL connect information where indicated. Now upload the file to your web root (not your forum directory) and then simply open the script via the web and you'll see the default XML (google valid) sitemap.

Usage Instructions:
By default, the script uses flat mode and the XML map. These defaults can be easily changed from within the script itself.

As for web-based switches:
http://www.example.com/sitemap.php?type=&view=&se=
// Optional Parameter -- se=# Where # weather or not to use SE Friendly URLs (0/No, 1/Yes)
// Optional Parameter -- type=# Where # is a map type (1/XML, 2/Text, 3/html, 4/RSS, 5/ASP, 6/SitemapIndex)
// Optional Parameter -- view=# where # is your view type (1/ShowFlat, 2/ShowThreaded)
// Optional Parameter -- offsets=# where # is weather or not to use offsets.

Submissions:
Not all search engines will automagically re-check your sitemap; in fact, I've only noticed that Google will re-check on its own. You'll want to go to Yahoo or anyone else every couple of weeks and tell them to re-grab a copy of your map.

Attachment Information:
sitemap-xml.jpg - An XML map.
sitemap-rss.jpg - An RSS map.
sitemap-text.jpg - A simple "text link list" map.
sitemap-link.jpg - A simple "html link list" map.
sitemap-asp.jpg - An ASP style sitemap.
sitemap-index.jpg - A screen cap of the Sitemap Index feature.

Pricing: $80 per install (each separate install requires a separate license) which includes 1 year of free updates.

How to Buy: You can order via our Script Information page here (there is an order form towards the bottom for PayPal payments).

Notice:
This addon is not freeware, and as such you cannot freely provide it to others without prior written permission from its author(s). Permission was obtained from the UBB.Dev administration to post this non-free addon's information in advance.

Quoting Google's Webmaster Help
What is a sitemap, and why should I have one?
A Sitemap file lets you tell us about all the pages on your site, and optionally, information about those pages, such as which are most important and how often they change. By submitting a Sitemap file, you can take control of the first part of the crawling/indexing processes: our discovery of the pages.

This may be particularly helpful if your site has dynamic content, pages that aren't easily discovered by following links, or if your site is new and has few links to it.

Sitemaps help speed up the discovery of your pages, which is an important first step in crawling and indexing your pages, but there are many other factors that influence the crawling/indexing processes. Sitemaps lets you tell us information about your pages (which ones you think are most important, how often the pages change), so you can have a voice in these subsequent steps. Other factors include how many sites link to you, if your content is unique and relevant, if we can crawl the pages successfully, and everything outlined in our webmaster guidelines.

A Sitemap provides an additional view into your site (just as your home page and HTML site map do). This program does not replace our normal methods of crawling the web. Google still searches and indexes your sites the same way it has done in the past whether or not you use this program. Sites are never penalized for using this service. This is a beta program, so we cannot make any predictions or guarantees about when or if your URLs will be crawled or added to our index. Over time, we expect both coverage and time-to-index to improve as we refine our processes and better understand webmasters' needs.

Once you have created your Sitemap, you can add it to your Google Sitemaps account and update it as your site changes.

Licensed Sites: 34 (not including my own or ubbdev)
Attachments
2356-sitemap-xml.jpg (167.48 KB, 299 downloads)
2357-sitemap-rss.jpg (175.09 KB, 207 downloads)
2358-sitemap-link.jpg (59.06 KB, 231 downloads)
2359-sitemap-text.jpg (102.18 KB, 224 downloads)
2360-sitemap-asp.jpg (117.76 KB, 230 downloads)

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
1 member likes this: isaac
Sponsored Links
Gizmo #313118 02/11/2007 3:09 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Thanks Gizzy, should be a very worthwhile add-on thumbsup

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
hehe dankies allen wink... I've pretty much had it in private development and word of mouth for 2 months now; current users rather like it wink...

And eliminating the need for google to "discover" your links is definatley a plus... Helping them along should help get content listed much faster for users :nods:

Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Gizmo #313129 02/12/2007 2:22 AM
Veteran
Veteran
It would be ideal if it were to list pages, which are not forums, yet use the forum header / footer - i.e. articles.

I have around 200 of these pages, which will grow to 500 very soon.

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Ian_W #313130 02/12/2007 2:33 AM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Those are kind of out of scope I think, it's designed to just pull the threads themselves, not forum topic indexes (which will likely be in a future build).

I'd have to see how you're calling these extra pages (header/footer) to be able to give a for sure answer.

I'm pretty sure that I could make an index page which could take all files in a directory and build a sitemap for you; but keep in mind that if it's just a custom header and footer that google won't really care; you're not feeding your content to them, you're simply feeding urls of your threads to them; the feed does not include any post content (as they don't want it).

Another product i'll be coming out with soon is a simple sitemap lister that you can manually enter urls on your site; but I'm working on a couple of other projects until I can get to that.

I've been toying with Curl for building automagic sitemaps, I have something that works for the most part, but you have to think that php has an execute script limit which would make it die prematurely on large sites (or forums for example).

Sponsored Links
Gizmo #313132 02/12/2007 11:52 AM
Veteran
Veteran
I am calling the pages with a script, template and php file.

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Ian_W #313135 02/12/2007 6:47 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
So, they're never actually *called* as their own page?

Keep in mind, literally, all a sitemap is would be the link to a topic/forum; there is no data presant, you're helping google/yahoo/etc with discovery, you're not feeding them content...

Since they're not actually *called* as data for yoru forum by themselves, theres no reason to have them in a sitemap...

Gizmo #313263 02/25/2007 11:41 AM
Journeyman
Journeyman
Outstanding!

Since I moved from 6.5 to 7.X Google has all but stopped crawling my threads/topics and as a result the numbber of new members I get has dropped dramatically! I hope this will help (should I decide to buy it)!

Thank!

Basil

Lurker
Lurker
i went thru all kinds of hell with google indexing my forum once i went to version 7. gizmo made it all beautiful again.... i thank him very much.

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
It turns out that Google allows a maximum of 50k links in a sitemap; so I'm working on v0.2 right now that will allow you to set an offset via the URL so that you can split links up for larger forums.

EX:
ubb.sitemap.php?type=1&se=2&offset=0 - Will display threads 1-25k
ubb.sitemap.php?type=1&se=2&offset=1 - Will display threads 25k-50k

You can set the max offset in the file up to 50k, I put 25k down as a default to help conserve some load.

BTW, this will be enabled by default in v0.2; but you can disable it for the classic behavior of loading everything at once. I've mainly coded this in for large forums lol...

Also, an example of how insanely huge 25-50k threads is... UBBDev only has about 36k threads.

Sponsored Links
Gizmo #313863 04/11/2007 5:21 PM
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Google + Gizmo's Site Map smile

I Have recently moved my forums to a new Domain.
So it was important to me to get my site under its new Domain name back into google as soon as i could.

Gizmo has been raving about the site map program he made,
so it thought to my self (He seems like a nice chap)
I think i will give it a go and see if it really does work.

The answer is YES smile

21 days after i installed the site map Google has listed my
site under its new domain name with 6,000 + links.
Not all my forums are public

It is fair to say what would have happened if i didn't have
the site map installed? Well i cant answer that to be honest
as I'm now listed. I like to think that it has helped
in my situation where a Domain move for my forums.

The Site Map has worked for me, but if you have any questions
about it functionality then please contact Gizmo via PM
as i can only report back the results i have.

Gizmo's site map isn't free, but for my needs worth the money.
You will also need a Google web masters account.
It also works with Yahoo.

My Results Click Me After 21 days.

BOOM 7.6.+ rocks....
Mark_S #313866 04/12/2007 12:31 AM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Glad to hear that you've had good results mark smile.

Just for anyone wondering, with moving to a new domain with 0 data in Google for it, it'd likely take several months to allow discovery enough time to crawl this many links...

Gizmo #314454 06/17/2007 6:58 AM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
v0.3 has been completed this morning. I've done a lot of code cleanup, on both a security and code standpoint. Instead of "assuming" data passed to the script from the database is "valid" for feeds, we run subjects through htmlentities (thus validating code) and we force "int" on fields which should only contain numbers.

I've repaired a problem with the offsets option introduced in 0.2 which allows you to split your one large sitemap into several easier to manage sitemaps (thus allowing you the opportunity to not go over the 50k link limit that some services enforce.

I have also built onto the offsets option and built in the ability to utilize a sitemap index which will list any "valid" sitemaps on from your forum (built using this script only); everything will be done automatically, all you need to do is submit the sitemap index into google (or a search engine which support them) and when you tell them to look at your site, they will grab your list of maps and work on them accordingly.

I have also set the "offsets" option to off by default; when I introduced it in 0.2 I set it to "on" by default.

Coming in 0.4:
I'm looking to add the ability to base "importance" to urls based on their date posted; this will allow the newer data to have a larger importance than the older data, thus allowing it to be crawled more often than older threads.

I'm also looking to allow the maximum thread inclusion to be adapted in the URL as well; however this ability will not be able to go over the scripts hardcoded 50k limit.

Also, if you've got a suggestion for expansion, please let me know, I'm always looking at new ideas.

If you're looking to upgrade, please email me (james[at]virtualnightclub[dot]net) with your licensed url's and I'll send off the new files.

If you're looking to purchase license please feel more than free to email me for more information.

Gizmo #314457 06/17/2007 9:26 AM
Veteran
Veteran
If it could include custom pages, then I would buy it like a shot wink

Ian_W #314460 06/17/2007 6:06 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Custom pages are out of scope for this (at least at this point), I COULD code it in but cost vs demand... There would have to be a way to add items into the map and since the current manner just auto-pulls data from the database there is no real "need" for the ability to add items (short of posting more content to your forums)

I do however have plans to write a separate sitemap utility for custom/standard pages; this script since i have to hop through hoops to cater to limitations (filesize and total links) it would be difficult to factor in custom pages, the next product will gear just towards your "standard site" items.

You could always try adding them to the sitemap manually (by hacking it in) so long as you're sure you won't bust over the 50k links/page limitation.

Gizmo #314542 06/22/2007 3:16 PM
ehm Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hello Gizmo,
Couple questions:
Can I 'select' which forums I want to include on the sitemap?
Like there are few forums that are more like 'chit-chat' and there is no need for them.

How is your upgrade police for your program versions and for UBB versions? I mean, if you upgrade your product, the registered users get it free? And how about if UBB upgrades?

Thank you

ehm #314549 06/22/2007 7:27 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Q. Can I 'select' which forums I want to include on the sitemap?
A. No, it takes any "public" forum and creates a map for posts in it.

There is a valid reason for this; either way google will eventually crawl all data, a sitemap just helps it along; either way the data will be there (sooner or later).

Q. How is your upgrade police for your program versions and for UBB versions
A. Upgrades, at this point, are free of charge to valid license holders; I upgrade as the UBB upgrades (for example, as the page variable was redundant, it was also purged in 0.3). The upgrade pricing may change in the future, but at this point I have no plans of charging for upgrades.
A. Upgrades are free for 1 year (365 days), after which you can purchase upgrades at $25/yr.

To receive an upgrade to the UBB.Sitemapper, all you need to is email me after there is one available and I'll email it back; however I do request that when emailing me you also email the site that you've purchased it for so i can do internal auditing (for a possible download manager in the future).

Gizmo #314571 06/23/2007 5:52 PM
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Upgraded and working fine wink

Cheers

BOOM 7.6.+ rocks....
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Glad to hear it Mark

Gizmo #315825 09/25/2007 10:39 AM
Journeyman
Journeyman
Anyone try to make a literal site map for the forums on the board. Like a page that shows the forums, subs, subs in order on a flat summary like table?

Here's what I mean only I mean coming down instead of sideways, but sideways could work. (not my website).

http://www.darkobessions-rpg.com/sitemap.htm

Yarp™
Yarp™
We have something called a forum summary page that has all forums+subforums listed wink

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Ash, a SE doesn't care about the order; however, my script lists all items by id, which is in order.

My script is more geared towards SE's (eventhough it provides html output should you care to want to use it)

Gizmo #315843 09/25/2007 6:32 PM
Journeyman
Journeyman
My Forum Summary doesn't list the hidden forums and sub-sub forums because I choose not to display them to non-members or to clutter the front of my board system.

My board is more than a board, its an RPG game with sub world's, an html map would be brilliant for mapping it somewhere on the site so people can see what can't be seen.

Yarp™
Yarp™
I guess your board is so specific that just creating your very own html page with everything on it would be the best thing to do.

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Originally Posted by blaaskaak
I guess your board is so specific that just creating your very own html page with everything on it would be the best thing to do.
What I was thinking exactly

Gizmo #315859 09/26/2007 12:49 AM
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hey just looking out for the other rpg peeps out there bro.

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Definitely understandable hon, but I think it'd deserve its own addon as it definitely seems well out of the scope of this one wink

Gizmo #316901 05/01/2008 12:26 AM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Just rolled out an update for 7.3 compatibility (0.4 Final); please contact me if you've purchased the script and want it to run on your 7.3 board and I'll send you the new file.

Other updates include some minor code cleanup, the preview URLs which generate only 20 urls for testing (this was in 0.4a).

Gizmo #316902 05/01/2008 1:01 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Please smile

Ian_W #316903 05/01/2008 2:13 AM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
, let me rephraise, please email me (james[at]virtualnightclub[dot]net) so I can send it to you wink...

Gizmo #317813 02/15/2009 9:37 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
I've been putting some finishing touches on 0.5; the current changelog is:
-- 0.5 --
Removed "Priority" tag as it was optional and providing duplicate errors from Google.
Removed some "test code" from the header of the script left in from 0.4.
Fixed a bugglet with the "read from config" option which was added in 0.4.
Added a "tick" to config which allows you to display the optional "changefreq" tag.
Added the ability to pull the community name from your ubb config as the feed name.
Updated the changelog format to fix spelling and grammatical errors introduced in 0.3.

If you've noticed an inconvenience or would like to see a change (or update) please let me know so I can get it in! Feel free to email me as well (james[at]virtualnightclub[dot]net)

Gizmo, I have well over 100,000 threads. How does the program handle the overage? Does it look at the 50,000 newest, or ....?

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Use the sitemap index option, it'll create an index of x amount of sitemaps, each map would be X size based on the paramater in the sitemap script...

EX:
You have 100000 threads, you set 25k links in the sitemap, so the index would push out an index with 4 sitemaps, each sitemap would push an offset of 25k, so the first would be 0-25k, second 2501-50k, etc...

I'd recommend using no more than say 25k chunks however, makes the query a little easier to deal with lol...

Gizmo #317829 02/22/2009 4:55 PM
OK... I wasn't understanding how the index thing worked. I thought the total would still be 50k. Thanks.

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Well, the index is how to subvert the 50k limit; in actuality you don't really want to be generating a 50k link sitemap as it can bog down the server during the request...

So the index steps in, links to the smaller sitemaps, and the SE does the rest.

Gizmo #317953 04/14/2009 9:13 AM
Hi Gizmo
2 Q's for you.

Q1 -I've just moved my site to a new host, and its now under a new domain with the old domains redirecting to it (for now at least).
However the new domain has 2 variants (a DOT com and a DOT co DOT uk) the later just points back to the former.
Do i need 2 licenses or 1?

Q2 - does it work on 7.5.2?

Cheers

I don't do a lot, but i do do this
Crasher #317954 04/14/2009 12:37 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
1. just install it for the primary; you really should have 1 domain with others directing to it for better results in engines (duplicate anything brings one down in points).

2. Yes, the script itself is completely separate from the UBB, as it only relies on standard data in the db it should be compatible with just about any install within v7.

Gizmo #317957 04/15/2009 2:29 AM
Originally Posted by Gizmo
1. just install it for the primary; you really should have 1 domain with others directing to it for better results in engines (duplicate anything brings one down in points).

2. Yes, the script itself is completely separate from the UBB, as it only relies on standard data in the db it should be compatible with just about any install within v7.

Sweet smile
Point taken on the redirects - i've just moved a load of stuff over from another hosting company and registrar so things are a little disorganized at the moment. Ultimately everything will be redirected to a single point.

I don't do a lot, but i do do this
Power User
Power User
just installed this and am getting an error

XML Parsing Error: no element found
Line Number 3, Column 59:Unknown column 'FORUM_PERMISSION_CAN_READ' in 'field list'

also sent this to your email......

Power User
Power User
thanx for the email and fix

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63