Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Lurker
Lurker
Howdy all,

I'm looking to do some modding to a new 7.2.1 board of mine (actually, it's an upgraded board from a really old WWWThreads install (which speaking of W3T...has anyone (or Rick) seen THIS?, lol), but all of my experience is with 6.x and earlier threads, so I'm still getting acclimated to the whole template system we've got going on now.... so please bear with me tipsy

Anyway, to the point... I have a need to display multiple lists/categories on a single screen at once and it occurred that a very slick (and overall the best) way of doing it would be to use the tabbed interface that is in the Admin area, but upon doing a wee bit of research it looks like those functions are only available from `admin.inc.php`. Is this the case? If so, am I correct in not wanting to include admin includes in a standard page (yeah, shouldn't matter, but I'm paranoid a bit wink )? Also, will the tabbing that is built in handle nested tabs?? Does anyone have any sample code of nested tabs?

I have a 3rd party tabbing solution I could use, but for many reasons I'd prefer to stay within the UBBT framework as much as possible.

Thanks in Advance!

Sponsored Links
Yarp™
Yarp™
Can't you just steal the cool tabbed stuff out of the admin rea for your own templates?

The control panel uses smarty, just like the rest of the forum.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
no smarty in cpanel yet.. that's something we need to totally overhaul at some point..

right now the 'templates' are just straight php includes called *.tmpl.

Yarp™
Yarp™
Originally Posted by sirdude
right now the 'templates' are just straight php includes called *.tmpl.

Then steal the html from control panel en make it smarty smile

Lurker
Lurker
heh, ok smile

I'd have to steal it from the admin.inc as well I think (TopTab & BottomTab funtions), which means now I'm duplicating code somewhere... but, no big deal. I just didn't want to do that because I was gonna try to keep this board as neat & clean as possible while I hack it up, hehe. The last revision of it ended up with "borrowed" code in a 1,000 different places and got ugly in a hurry tipsy

Sponsored Links
Yarp™
Yarp™
Originally Posted by cgregg
because I was gonna try to keep this board as neat & clean as possible while I hack it up, hehe.

Awh, memories. Allthough these memories are way back for me smile

I don't even keep record of hacks anymore smile

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
including the admin.inc.php files is limited to only admins/moderators accessing (if I remember right). You'd have to open up permissions on the file and then you'd be opening the control panel to possible mischief too, I'd think. I'd just snag the code into my own nav.inc.php file or something smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Lurker
Lurker
Coming back to a dead thread that I started.. .thought I'd pass on the solution I ended up using.

Really simple one actually:
1. Grab this: http://www.barelyfitz.com/projects/tabber/
2. Drop the tabber.js into your /ubb_js folder
3. Just add the appropriate bits of javascript to your templates as needed.

Going this route was far easier (for me anyway :p) than trying to pieces-parts things out of the admin pages.

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
hmm, i tore apart the admin js for the dropdowns for the faq in 7.3, maybe i need to look how the tab's work wink...

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
Lurker
Lurker
really?

bah, I shoulda kept my support contract active long enough to get 7.3 (on 7.2.1) ... then again, I actually did this back around the time I originally started the thread so it wouldn't have mattered I reckon, I just now got back to update because I was here to post another question tipsy

on the upside, this solution was REALLY easy once I sat down and started using it.... it's been a while since I looked at the stuff in the Admin pages, but it looked like I would have been taking chunks from a few places to get it working. This was straightforward for me and even doing nested tabs was a snap.

Sponsored Links
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
'eh I don't think the admin center is smarty formatted and I'm sure parts aren't even oop; wonder when that'll all get updated to be ultra complex :x...

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63