Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Lurker
Lurker
Hey, all,

I'm currently looking to produce an on-line, interactive community in Flash on my website. This will involve the user creating an avatar in Flash which will be used elsewhere on the site.

I'd also like to add UBB functionality to the site for discussion forums. Problem being that I'd really like to use the Flash generated avatars in my UBB forums.

Is there any way I can alter (or write) the membership of a UBB using another piece of software? I don't mind writing the handler myself, but I need to know about the format of the membership files etc - is this information available?

Am I correct in thinking that as UBB is written in PHP that this will use MySQL database of some kind?

Cheers,

SB.

Sponsored Links
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Well, you'd have your flash app write out the image to your ubb avitars folder; and then users could select them; or you'd have to have it do that then trigger some sort of script which updates the users profile with the newly created avitar URL...

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
Lurker
Lurker
Hey, Gizmo - thanks for the reply.

The second part of the reply is what interests me - is there no "User Profile" file format or something so I could just write directly to this from a PHP script run by flash? I notice you said on my post on the other UBB forum that the member details are stored in a MySQL database - what is the format in the Database, and if I updated the database, would UBB automatically recognise the new content of the database as a valid user, or would I need to go through another process to validate them?

Also - in the User profiles, am I tied to the options available when you set up UBB with attributes of a user profile, or can I add my own "special" attributes too?

Thanks again for your help! smile

SB

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
No file format as user data is not stored as a file, user data is stored in the MySQL database.

ALL mysql databases MUST be updated by a script which has access to read and write to the MySQL database.

You should download PHPMyAdmin and use it to interact with your UBB database to get a better understanding of how the UBB stores data.

You would likely have to write out some sort of way to validate that the user is the user; as this would be a 3rd party addon to the UBB script...

As for extra stuff, you can simply add another field to the table.

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849