Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Yeh, guess I need to push v0.5 out for production for 7.5+ installs..

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
Sponsored Links
Gizmo #318017 06/22/2009 2:09 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
v0.5 is now available, changelog includes:
Removed "Priority" tag as it was optional and providing duplicate errors from Google.

Removed some "test code" from the header of the script left in from 0.4.

Fixed a bugglet with the "read from config" option which was added in 0.4.

Added a "tick" to config which allows you to display the optional "changefreq" tag.

Added the ability to pull the community name from your ubb config as the feed name.

Updated the changelog format to fix spelling and grammatical errors introduced in 0.3.

If you need an update (and qualify for updates (within 1 year of purchasing your license) please feel free to email me at james[at]virtualnightclub[dot]net. If it's been past a year since you purchased the script, you can renew at here

Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Gizmo #318020 06/30/2009 11:30 AM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Hey Gizzy, I may have asked this years ago, but does this ping google, etc. when a new post is made or a new topic?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
No, but I've actually found that Google (and some others) will re-check the sitemap periodically on their own.

Gizmo #318076 08/09/2009 2:36 AM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Starting this week, I will be working on v0.6 of the UBB.Sitemaps script. There will be several updates to the script that I've wanted to push out for some time and these features will be relating to the speed at which the script works.

I'll be adding options for:
1. GZip - Compressing the output of the file so that it is loaded faster by clients (Search Engines in this case).
2. Caching - Using an in-house script and not the UBB's code (as this script works as a standalone for compatibility reasons we don't rely on UBB code within the script). By default this will be set to 24 hours.
3. Expires Header - This will be another method that will allow clients to retrieve content only when you specify it is going to be new. By default this will be set to 24 hours.

Some of these items will not function with all servers; your provider will need to allow you to:
1. Write flat files via the webserver; some of these files may end up belonging to your webserver user, but will overwrite themselves when needed.
2. Use GZip to compress files.

You'll likely need to play with settings to ensure compatibility but if you can use gzip within the UBB you should be able to use it within the sitemap script.

I'll also be policing for some general code cleanup opportunities within the script as well; I'd highly recommend an upgrade for the new caching options to all users as it'll increase the speed of the script exponentially (especially if you're using the "one big file" method vs the "sitemap index" method (default)).

I'm unsure as to a specific date that the new version will be available however I'll announce here when it's available.

Please also note, if it's been longer than a year since you purchased a license of the script, you'll need to renew your license; you can do so via the information page.

Sponsored Links
Gizmo #318077 08/09/2009 5:57 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
I actually got most of the coding done this morning since I couldn't sleep; I need to finish some of the "new code cleanup" though tipsy

Gizmo #318101 08/20/2009 8:01 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Going on track for testing of all systems for release tomorrow; going to go ahead and do a couple of final minute updates to the script tonight and package it up.

For those of you who've registered for the script within the last year (365 days) email me directly for an update (james[at]virtualnightclub[dot]net); for those of you who've registered past that please renew here and I'll ship off v0.6 with your payment verification.

Gizmo #318102 08/21/2009 12:28 AM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Just packaged 0.6 up and sent off the first copies to those in good standing that have requested it.

I have the caching section working on my server if you'd like to try the preview URL (here) note that I've been having some general speed issues with my server as of late so don't mistake any speed issues as an issue with the script (it should actually parse instantly when serving a cached page).

Gizmo #318103 08/21/2009 6:01 PM
Power User
Power User
uploaded and seems to be working great so far

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Glad to hear it...

Are you using caching on it or just the default?

Sponsored Links
Gizmo #318105 08/21/2009 8:11 PM
Power User
Power User
well, I don't fully understand what caching does for me,so I left it at default.

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Well, think of it like this...

You have it set to display in google and yahoo (or other sites), they send one request and the cache is built and the output is displayed. They send another request, and instead of rebuilding all data from the database (which can be intensive) it just reads out the cached file (until the cache expires).

Basically, makes it so unnecessary hits are dealt with in a manner as to not bog down system resources.

Gizmo #318109 08/22/2009 12:07 PM
Power User
Power User
ok, so I enabled caching. :-)

badfrog #318270 10/31/2009 12:36 AM
Lurker
Lurker
Gizmo,

I have a question about the urls that are included in the sitemap being different from the ones that a search engine might discover on their own.

Could I be penalized by Google for having different links going to the same page?

for example:

Forum link (w/ SE friendly urls & .html extension):
mysite/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/189951/1.html

Sitemap link to same page:
mysite/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=189951

What do you think? (or did I do something wrong?)

Bill

ECNet #318290 11/04/2009 12:30 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
You won't be penalized anymore than you would if they crawled the UBB and found the URLs on their own; the script feeds them a URL and their crawler will hit pages that are linked off of that page itself to build its real index.

If you follow the example in the readme on what to give google it should actually build the URL the same as what you posted (as form link); the sitemap can be customized to build just about any format of url in just about any type of sitemap you'd want. The recommendation however is to build the sitemap as:
ubb.sitemap.php?type=1&se=2&offset=0

Which will build links as:
http://www.yoursite.tld/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=49643

You could use:
ubb.sitemap.php?type=1&se=1&offset=0

Which would build links as:
http://www.yoursite.tld/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/49644

Currently we don't have an option to build with SEO urls or the fake html extension; we just have se friendly urls and standard urls (which likely will change in the future).

The script primarily aids SE's by feeding content urls to the SE, it'll continue to crawl URLs as it finds them (specifically on links you feed to them), it'll build "new page" links and other links off of the pages your sitemap feeds into their systems.

What I'd like to see is possibly have the ubb gracefully forward URLs with a redirect (301/302 header) based on what URL schema the user chooses in the UBB we could eliminate duplicate urls alltogether (as any url accessed that wasn't on the default selected would send a redirect like what the redirector scripts do); but I'm unsure as to how easy/difficult that could be.

Last edited by Gizmo; 11/04/2009 3:15 PM.

Gizmo #320903 04/02/2015 1:57 AM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
We're now at v0.9, folks! Changes in v0.9 (April 02, 2015) are as follows:
  • All configuration items are now stored in a $conf array.
  • ASP sitemaps no longer populate both the title and description tags as they where duplicated and thus added to the bulk of sitemap pages.
  • General script code cleanup, reformatting, and restructuring.
  • The test string is now type 0; previously, type 0 was not utilized and would cause errors if indicated. Type 7 no longer works for any type of generation.
  • We're now utilizing more current sitemap standards; previously we where utilizing earlier versions.
  • There is now support for v7.6.0 style SEO URLs
  • The site name parameter is no longer passed to the thread title as this just added a lot of extra bulk to the pages.
  • The last reply time of a topic is now utilized in XML sitemaps.
  • Utilization of an XML Stylesheet is now supported for type 1; see the supplied css/sitemap.css file for basic options.
  • For compatibility for users hosting their UBB.threads install in the web root, the $conf["folder"] variable now requires a trailing slash.
  • RSS Sitemaps now utilize the <ttl> tag which is fed from the $conf["cache"]["time"] variable.

Gizmo #320904 04/06/2015 8:36 AM
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Originally Posted by Gizmo
We're now at v0.9, folks! Changes in v0.9 (April 02, 2015) are as follows:
  • All configuration items are now stored in a $conf array.

Can you expand on this feature change?
As what happens to config.inc.php?

How does that impact upgrading or moving to a new server?

There is no such thing as stupid questions.
Just stupid answers.
Gizmo #320905 04/06/2015 9:45 AM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
The needed $config array lines from the config.inc.php file are formatted into the $conf array; really it won't affect things at all, if the user is using the UBB.threads config file (which is by default) the script sorts everything as it's needed.

Gizmo #323072 08/28/2018 9:21 AM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBB.Sitemaps 8/28/2018 Developer Notes (Release Announcement)
- No longer in Alpha as the script has been tested extensively on many server configurations.
- Added a listing of all forum names (type 7), which is linked from the Sitemap Index page.
- Added an option to not display the frequency line.
- Added an option to not display the lastmod line.
- Added an option to not display the .html extension for sitemap files.
- Added support to always produce HTTPS (SSL) URLs (useful for sites on a CDN where the local server may still try to produce non-HTTPS links when using wildcard HTTPS urls).
- Added support for including the UBB.threads configuration for sites running UBB.threads from the webroot (not in a folder).
- Added support for specifying a domain (useful if your UBB.threads install is on a subdomain and you wish to have UBB.SiteMaps located on your main domain).
- Added support for human readable permalinks with Apache Rewrite Rules
- Removed the need for a trailing slash in the folder config.
- Changed the MySQL database connection to utilize MySQLi for PHP7 support.
- Minor code changes for script performance.

Gizmo #323348 08/21/2019 10:11 AM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBB.Sitemaps 8/18/2019 Developer Notes (Release Announcement)
- Added: Support for UBB.threads Pages
- Changed: HTML Sitemaps no longer build in a table, instead they will build as a listing of links with a break
- Changed: Switching from Version Numbers to Build Dates (20190818)
- Changed: The HTML extension can now be disabled, and will respect the UBB.threads configuration value
- Fix: Code Cleanup and Reformatting
- Fix: The Forum Listing will check that the forum is enabled before displaying it

Gizmo #323433 12/19/2019 1:35 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBB.Sitemaps 12/22/2019 Developer Notes
- Added: Debug mode (ubb.sitemap.php?debug=1) will allow you to see your UBB.Sitemaps settings and a forum overview in an easy to read page.
- Added: A new version check will display a version notice on the debug page.
- Added: A switch has been added for the beta group which will display if you're running a beta release or not. This will allow the new version check to be able to display notices for final builds.
- Added: The UBB.threads Pages display respects the private mode status within UBB.threads Pages.
- Fix: Fixed a bug in UBB.threads Pages detection.

Gizmo #323672 07/05/2022 12:08 PM
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Using this on a site I noticed that the sitemap cache files are not deleting.
I have them back to 2019,2020,2021,2022.
Is this a manual process to clear out or do I need to correct something?

I do not see a version on the main script anywhere but it has been installed a few years as you can see.

Last edited by Ruben Rocha; 07/05/2022 12:16 PM. Reason: added comment.

Just stupid answers.
Gizmo #323673 07/05/2022 12:30 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
It is a simple cache system which should roll through updates in the $conf["cache"]["directory"] directory based on what URL is accessed (the file names are a SHA1 hash of the requested URI (bit after the site URL)) and is only cached for however many seconds $conf["cache"]["time"] is set to (default 86400); so basically its a hash of all requested URLs such as:
ubb.sitemap.php?type=6&se=1 (sitemap search engine index page)
ubb.sitemap.php?type=7 (Forum Listing)
ubb.sitemap.php?type=10 (UBB.threads Events [Mod])
ubb.sitemap.php?type=8 (UBB.threads Pages [Mod])
ubb.sitemap.php?type=9 (UBB.threads Reviews [Mod])

Then all of your offset pages based on how large a chunk $conf["offset"]["increment"] defines (default 10k, specified maximum of 50k):
ubb.sitemap.php?type=1&se=1&offset=0

If you see outdated cached files it's likely human error (someone attempting to craft custom URLs into the system).

As for the version, it is the $build and $release variables in the script, and should be viewable on all pages (including the debug page (ubb.sitemap.php?debug=1) if your version supports it) when you view the source (ie "view source" and not what is displayed to the browser (it's listed in a comment on the source)

In a nuttshell, the generated system urls should get auto updated, manually crafted URLs will only be updated when they're accessed again; nothing is auto purged (as an expected repository of data should contain the previous offset pages worth of data which should be auto updated)

Gizmo #323674 07/05/2022 12:36 PM
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Okay I found
$build = "20190818"

As far as cache files should I just delete any or all files.

Like older than 6 months?

Just stupid answers.
Gizmo #323676 07/05/2022 12:38 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
You shouldn't need to ever prune the files in the folder; but they should auto overwrite when the associated URL is accessed.

The cache is in place so that your backend database server doesn't get pinged to death with data requests, this cache by default is 24 hours, but if you for whatever reason wanted to have it update more often or less often you have the option to do so with offsetting the cache parameters previously mentioned.

If you have cache files from malformed user or bot requests you can purge them manually if you wish, but any request to that same url will generate a new cache file (or update said cache file) after the request completes.

Most of these files are mere bytes long, larger files for larger forum indexes. All we're really fetching are formatted URLs for existing content so I doubt it's going to make much of an impact to purge files.

Gizmo #323677 07/05/2022 12:47 PM
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
I understand but there are sitemap cache files dated back to 11/15/2019 that is what prompted my post.

Just stupid answers.
Gizmo #323678 07/05/2022 12:53 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
And again if a user or bot requests a malformed URL it'll generate a cache file for that request when caching is tuned on, a malformed request will generally just have the sitemap index data of a few lines; if it bothers you then remove them but again as previously mentioned:
- If a user or bot requests this URL again in the future a new cache file will be generated if caching is enabled
- The data in said file is of negligible size and won't save you any space
- Theres nothing you can do to stop this from happening as any request from the script will write a new file.

Gizmo #323679 07/05/2022 12:57 PM
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Thats what I wanted to know I have a few thousand files in cache and I understand malformed requests cause some now.
For example

a29e6d14a542908ff2df1e197e9ee5deb90bf33a 1,529,625 each

Just stupid answers.
Gizmo #323680 07/05/2022 12:59 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
If you deleted everything in the cache folder the files would get recreated on the next request through the sitemap script.

Larger files indicate a large payload, such as a forum listing; the amount of files will depend on how many links are displayed per page for each forum.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849