Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#36229 01/26/2000 5:46 PM
Title: Auto-updating Smilies Legend
Description: This hack will make a smilies legend that will auto-update when you add new smilies to your web page, instead of:
a) earlier versions that do not havea legend
b) versions where you have to change the smilies.html file to update the list.
Pre-Requisites: You need to have Mas*Mind's Smilie-settings in the CP installed before-hand.
Instructions: http://n64vortex.hypermart.net/smilies_legend.txt

Hope ya'll enjoy this. It can be very useful. Let me know ASAP if you find any mistakes, or need any help with this hack by replying to this message.

Sponsored Links
looks like a good hack. But some probs. When i add the smilie from CP, it does get added to the legend, but when i try to post the smily, it does not work...any ideas?

------------------
Moderator Of The "CHIT CHAT" Forum
E-Mail: [email protected]
AIM: Mazmanr

No ideas here. Was the posting of the smilies working before the addition of the Smilies Legend?

yeah, it was. But the problem is that the other smilies work perfectly, but any new smilies that i've added, don't work [Linked Image]

------------------

hmm...how odd. It worked perfectly fine for me.

Sponsored Links
i'll take a look at the code, and i'll come back if i get it fixed...

------------------

hey
here's a little mod for this cool addon.

I changed the legend so the smilie name is included.
it now pints the table
code | name | smilie

it strips off the extension (.gif) and prints just the name. I also changed the close window to a form button.

follow the directions but add this sub instead of the one in the instructions

Code
code:

thats it

PS the original directions forgot to tell ya to add
require "Styles.file";
to postings.cgi

The smilie-cp addon is updated. Check the hacks-beta forum

Very very nice .. thank you [Linked Image]

~Kat

Hey.. Just got ahold of the smilies legend.. I got everything to work great until I went to edit the smilies.cgi and posting.cgi to add the Smilie Legend.. I went by the instructions but they appear to be cut off.. Right now I have two Smilie legends showing.. one actually shows all my new smilies and the other just shows the default.. As I said.. I could not read all the docs on how to do this because the docs appear to be CUT when it says.. If you already have a one that has a legend do this (in pos and that's it .. cut off.. so I'm not sure what I should do since I already have the legend.. Can anyone help.. THANKS!!! [Linked Image]

Sponsored Links
Great add [Linked Image]

------------------
Cougar's here, so have no fear
Webmaster of www.artbeast.de

Sorry about that, fixed the file now. It should work fine now. Hopefully everyone's getting some good usage. Let me know about anyother problems you have.

Got it thanks.. But still one small problem, which is strange.. The "Smilies Legend" will not work off the "MAIN" Post New Topic button??? It works fine when you view a message and then Post New Topic or Reply.. But will not show the smilies off the Main Button (the one on the Top right of screen)... I check the URL and the code is correct.. Really strange...

My stupid fix for the above problem....

I deleted the javascript from this line....

Smilies Legend

and added the URL for the smiles.cgi?action=SmilesLegend and put it as a pop up.. it works fine, but looks dull compaired to the original way it should work.. It's strange how it works on all but the MAIN add new post.. ???

This morning, I installed the Smilies CP hack. This was my first attempt to install a UBB hack, and it worked perfectly. Thanks Mas*Mind! I then went to work installing the Smilies Legend hack by Atom911.

There are three places in the instructions that tell me to:
Code
code:

I was confused exactly where to add this line. Also, I thought that I might
want to change the size of the Smilies Legend window. So, instead of
following the instructions, I made the following modifications to
postings.cgi:
Code
code:

I think this makes the Smilies Legend hack slightly easier to install, and may be easier to modify. Thanks Atom911 for this cool hack!

WARNING! Make sure you backup any files before you try this. It works great on my UBB - so far. This has not been tested on any version except 5.43d.

"Waffles are nothing more than a vehicle for butter and syrup" - Dr. Clayton Forrester
I agree that by using variables, the install may be easier. Maybe i will rewrite it(i wasn't planning on releasing at first, so i didn't simplify it) As for the question about where to add it, you add it right after the UBBImagesWording, but if you are using a version that already has a smilie legend, all you have to do is adjust the $SmiliesLink variable.

Ok, I am starting the redocumentation of the Smilies Legend Hack right now. It will be simpler to install.

The install file has been rewritten. It should now be simpler for beginners to follow along, and is easier. All i really did was add in variables el84 suggested, emphasized a few of the things, and made it clearer that you need to skip on of the steps if you are using a version with the Smilies Legend already included(but not an autoupdating one)

The file address is still the same: http://n64vortex.hypermart.net/smilies_legend.txt

good luck!

me Offline
Ok, I updated and got the CP hack woring and the auto update..but...when I added soemine elses..the one that shows the styles and uses a form button instead It did not change...Im not sure what the problem is..any suggestions?..thanks, Me

Question: where can I find this smilies hack: You need to have Mas*Mind's Smilie-settings in the CP installed before-hand.

?

------------------
I want to reach your mind.
Where is it currently located?
Gambit's Homepage

Use the database link at the top of the page.

Atom or Mutt,
Okay i am getting ready to put on the code buttons.. becuase i love that hack thanks mutt.. Well, the cp addon works fine, but when i put in the auto legend... when i go to my reply or new topic or probably my edit page at the top above everything it prints out this part
quote:
of this command to be put in postings.cgi per the instructions here ---> http://n64vortex.hypermart.net/smilies_legend.txt

quote:
Do you know what could be wrong?

Then when i click on the smilies legend link i get a javascript error. I dont know would it be easier if i could send whoever could help me the files so you can see whats up. I have looked through them, and i dont doubt it is something stupid, but i cant figure it out. Please help.. i want the codebuttons installed.

Thanks,
Morlince

EDIT ---> P.S. Here is an example go here to look at what i am trying to explain. Smilie Legend Update Problem
The Auto Legend does work, because if I just go here http://64.77.16.113/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/smilies.cgi?action=SmiliesLegend it works fine, but it doesnt look as pretty without all that java.

[This message has been edited by Morlince on July 11, 2000]

sas Offline
Hi where can I find the file, my copy was corrupted (zip format) and the links on this page are giving 404 errors [Linked Image]
Thanks

I too would like to have all these in one file so i can easily make this work without messing my board up. thanks.

nevermind.....i got it to work

Could you please fix the links to the files or email the text files to me. i would like to try this hack out as i already have the Mas*Mind Smilies CP installed.

Addict
Addict
quote:
It's in the database.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63