Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
i rereleased the simple version of UBBCodeButtons. has some bugfixes and new features.

also release my avatar hack. (kutulus has been asking for this forever) its like his pulldown image hack (built partially off of my code) but with more stuff and no bugs. the older code had a bad netscape problem but its gone. one big feature that the other didn't have is how you add more icons. just name em and upload em. just like message icons. also can have custom avatars which are only available to a specific person.

here's the download site.
http://bartour.virtualave.net

I'm waiting until I get intial install feedback before adding to the db. (incase i forgot a step)

hope you like

------------------
BarTourOnline.com
my new v5.43 under construction

Sponsored Links
anyplace where we can see the avatar hack?

------------------
Cougar's here, so have no fear
Webmaster of www.artbeast.de

I've already installed the UBBCodebuttons hack and it works great, but I'd like to see the Avatar hack in action too bevore i install it.

my register page

you can agree to the terms and then pick your avatar. you don't have to complete registraion. but feel free. it's not a real site anyway. just my construction site

I thought there was a way to submit your own image if you did something like take the form action, and make one of the submit choices your own iamge on an external page from the UBB..

------------------
I wish I were a Canuck
All they have to do is drink beer, play hockey, and say "Eh"

* No offense meant to any Canadians

Sponsored Links
you could add an input field to allow people to enter an imagr url, but i didn't do that. you would wind up with dead img links from old members.

they way my custom icon works, follows.

usernumber 00000004 wants a custom icon that ony he can use. you name his avatar 000000004.gif and upload it to the custom dir. then when usernumber 00000004 goes to edit his profile, there is a note alerting him that his custom avatar is available and there is an extra choice in the dropdown called 'custom'.

thought about using an img upload script that would allow you to up your own. auto chose the custum dir and auto rename the file usernumber.gif. that way you could up the img and refgresh the modify page and the custom icon would be avail. problem is I have found a good way to limit file size and I'm not interested in people uploading huge files. if anybody has a clean upload script that lets you set file type and size restrictions as well as set the upload dir, let me know and I'll add it as a cp option.

missed some steps on the avatar addon
I've already updated the download

here they are
Code
code:

Good hacks I have one problem though that you can see when you post in these fourms. How do you center the link UBBCode buttons and all the buttons.

------------------
President and Webmaster of UBB Hackers Hideout.

Contact Me at:

AIM:SpazJCC
Email: ubbmaster@ubbcodehacking.com

Me again

seems I refrenced something in the instructions which won't be in your copy of cpanel2.cgi

I've updated the instructions and here's the change

instead of
Code
code:

it should be
Code
code:

passwordemail was something i added to the cp so I could change the password email that is sent out when you register. sorry

Mutt

as for centering the buttons under the message window. I enclosed the message window and the button code in a table

the code

Will this hack work with the custom user text hack?

Also, an ability for users to choose one of there own pics would be kewl (an extra input field which can hold a link)

Sponsored Links
quote:
The best thing about this hack is that it DOESN'T allow people to use their own images [Linked Image]

------------------
Blizzard Domain - http://go.to/blizzdomain

I tried to implement both the Avatar and UBB code buttons hack, and encounted many problems along the way. Many instances of your code where it says find this: (too many to list) Simply did not exist. I fouond similar items, but the syntax was off like a missing ; or }{ I did my best to fit it in, but When I went to test, I eith got broken tables, image popup not working, (IE 5.0) or a server 500 error. I am using 5.44a I would really love to use these mods, but it is hard to tell where I went wrong when so many things don't match up.

------------------
-Dan

-Dan
quote:

Never the less, can that feature be added [Linked Image]
and uhm, custom user text hack?

------------------
Cougar's here, so have no fear
Webmaster of www.artbeast.de

Menno:

I was mistaking. The avatar hack DOES allow people to have custom images. But it probably isn't as easy as you would have thought.

You must make a /avatar/custom directory. Then upload the avatar to that folder. It must if in the form user#.gif (user# is 8 digits)

Hope this helps! [Linked Image]

------------------
Blizzard Domain - http://go.to/blizzdomain

it works fine with the custom user text hack. have it installed that way on mine. just be very careful to change the thisprofile[15] to the right num

as for errors in the directions and missing code. Both mods were written on 5.43. if you are on 5.44 or some old version you may incounter differences.

Everyone has said that the ubbcode buttons instructions were easy to follow so if you had problems with that one I'd try again.

The avatar Addon, did have some lines of code which were not in the original 5.43. I have fixed the know items and post notes about these changes here and at scriptkeeper. Several people have installed it using these directions. Other people have also had problems with the install. I looked at their code and found that they missed steps, both times.

if their are problems in the instructions let me know what they are and I'll fix em. my site is extremly modified and it is possible that my refrences are off. try searching for parts of code instead of whole blocks.

let me know what happens

As for a text box to list an image url. I've opted against this to prevent dead img links in older posts. I'm looking for a nice upload script so specific users would be able to upload a custom av. as for now the webmaster must upload this cutom av.

Mutt

------------------
BarTourOnline.com
my new v5.43 under construction

Danimator

just reread your post. if you found text but syntax was missing an ending } or something alone those lines, it means you were supposed to insert the new code right where i ending the text and not and the end of the if statement after the }
just looked at your site. good looking!

BEFORE ATTENMPTING THIS HACK
the avatar hack involves modifying the profile and the cp. don't even attempt it unless you've done several other hacks first. Start off on the easy ones and move up to this one. there are lots of places to screw up and anyone of them will cripple your ubb.

well, i have tried installing the UBBcodebuttons but i can`t seem to find certain lines in the cgi files that were mentioned in your intructions file, i`m using ubb 5.40 if you are wondering

if you let me know what you can't find, I'll find it.

Jon Offline
I recently installed the Private Messages hack.. One thing that I cant figure out.. Te one on this board tells you if you have a Private Message.. Mine does not.. anyone know why..?
BTW... Great Hack

Great hack Mutt! Thank you! The Avatar Addon hack is exactly what I needed. I had previously installed the Pulldown Image hack, which never worked correctly in Netscape. (Netscape behaves badly when a DIV tag is inside a FORM tag block).

One section of the instructions caused me some trouble. I was able to figure it out though. Take a look at this file to see what I did to install this in UBB version 5.44a.

"Waffles are nothing more than a vehicle for butter and syrup" - Dr. Clayton Forrester
thanx, I'll look at this and see if the problem is a dif bewteen 5.43 and 5.44 or if I just goofed the directions. Either way I will update the directions.

Thanks el84!! That did the trick Mutt you should look at el84's fix and incoprate in, cuse it makes it work perfectly!

-Dan
Hey el84 i'm still having trouble w/ the avatar hack and i have ubb v 5.44 a the trouble i'm having is that the instructions were written for a different version of ubb and i found many occurences when I couldn't find the line of code that the avatar readme asked for.. Please email me at [email protected] so i can get some help.. If i were to send my ubbmisc.cgi and the files needed for the hack could you do it or just send me yours? thanks in advance..

Thanks Austin316 for finding that missing double quote. Without that, the Avatar image was not appearing when the edit profile page loaded.

Here is where I messed up - there is a line of code ending with:
onLoad="generateimage('$Avatar')">

That last double quote must be there.

I have made changes to my instructions file.
Note: this file is not the actual Avatar Addon instructions - it only documents what I did to get it working on 5.44a.

"Waffles are nothing more than a vehicle for butter and syrup" - Dr. Clayton Forrester
finaly read this file and understood it. [Linked Image]

i needed to look at my file and yours next to each other. everytime i read yours, i din't see any change. thats because i didn't realize the typo in my instructions.

thanx for pointing it out. I've corrected my instructions and reupped the zip.

anyone having problems, please follow el84's correction. if you are downloading now, you can just follow the inclosed instructions

sorry if this screwed you up. documenting a hack on a board thats as modified as mine is a real pain.

I'm just glad that the avatar hack is working on version 5.44a and I'm glad I figured out that extra " was needed. It's ok mutt everyone is greatfull of all your cool hacks, and everyone makes a mistake here and there ;D

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63