Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#38359 10/06/2000 9:01 AM
Based on Exstaticas Idea i wrote my own javascript and mod.

This Mod opens a little, new, window in case a user has got a new private message.

This hack seems to be bug-free, is 100%ly working and should be done in about 2 minutes...
http://technoforum.de/mod/pmcnotification.txt

chris

Sponsored Links
#38360 10/06/2000 10:10 AM
This one still does not work for me. [Linked Image] If you like, for step #5 the English version is at bottom of this message if you want to use it.

I am updating threads just in case, but I sent myself a PM and no response. I also have 3 accounts, so I can send one to my other names, but no go there either. It immediately showed the new PM on main page, but no window popped up.

Im waiting for my members to try it to be sure:
http://board.3dfiles.com/Forum4/HTML/001613.html

[EDIT]Unless anyone has one of these working, these popups should probably be in the beta forum [Linked Image] [/EDIT]

Heres that code for step #5:

$BBName

$FolderLine

------------------
http://www.3dfiles.com
http://board.3dfiles.com

This message has been edited by Tim 3dfiles on October 06, 2000 at 10:13 AM

#38361 10/06/2000 12:03 PM
2Tim, well, because you're using forumdisplay.cgi you won't have to update your threads. But I found the 'bug': I forgot to mention to include

'require "private.cfg"'

in forumdisplay.cgi; smirk

I'm going to update the instructions in a few seconds, regards and please let me know if it works [Linked Image]

chris http://technoforum.de

Code
quote:</font><HR>### step 5)
### ADD below the routine which checks for new private messages:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where is this routine? Near "sub TopicMidHTML {"?

Also, it gives me an error at:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">code:

Unterminated string constant. Any Ideas?

2Nido,
yes, Sir, near "sub TopicMidHTML", so it should look like this [Linked Image]

quote:
You also may delete some of the JavaScript-Statements so the script could look like this, i didn't figure our any error nor my users, so try to use following j'script:

quote:
This should work smirk

This message has been edited by technoforum.de on October 06, 2000 at 09:29 PM

Sponsored Links
#38364 10/07/2000 10:23 AM
Well, I must be using a different Private Message system, because there's nothing to do with private messages in my forumdisplay.cgi

I'm using CYMPM 2.0:
quote:

#38365 10/07/2000 11:45 AM
2Nido,
it's simply an AddOn-Feature for all CYMPM-Versions and as written in the instruction-file you'll find above, you can add this hack to forumdisplay.cgi. so if a user gets a new private message a little popUp-window appears whilest the user is browing thru the boards (> forumdisplay).
You may give it a try on my site, just register a new account, send yourself a privateMessage and then browse thru the list of topics. You'll notice a little popup, telling you about a new PrivateMessage in your inbox. PLEASE have a look at my instructions again and i guess you'll find out how this hack works [Linked Image]

chris

(Is my english so bad that it's so hard to understand what's the mod for smirk ?)

#38366 10/07/2000 12:12 PM
techno,

Is the hack and are all the fixes documented?

If so, where?

Here you find the documented hack...
chris

I do understand the purpose of hack, I have read the instructions again and your English is impeccable [Linked Image].

The problem I'm having is that there is NO routine that checks for a private message in forumdisplay.cgi
quote:
None of that exists in my forumdisplay.cgi, maybe another hack adds that, I don't know.

I registered at your sits, but nothing comes up when I send myself a PM and then browse the Forums [Linked Image].

Sponsored Links
2Nido, you have to INCLUDE the routine to check the PrivateMessageCounter as mentioned in step 5)
Well, all of my users are satisfied with this hack and it works incredible fine, so maybe you have to enable JavaScript in your Browser and did you set cookies on my site? Otherwise it won't work untill you post a message...
chris

that was the bug in mine, i forgot to tell people to require private.cfg at the top

Music is the art of thinking with sound
Great hack man it works perfectly.

Thanks.

------------------

This should also work in Ultimate.cgi right?

------------------
http://www.upnetwork.com/
http://bbs.upnetwork.com/

I haven't owned a UBB in over 3 years!
2Jaxel, sure, it does! [Linked Image]
chris

I run version 5.46 and I have installed the popup message mod in forumdisplay and it works great!!! Thanks Technoforum.de

I do have 1 question though, you said that it does work in Ultimate.cgi and I was wondering if you or someone has already put the directions on how to do this. I started to try using the same method I did for forumdisplay.cgi but there was a couple things that I could not find and didn’t want to break my boards anymore than I already have in the past lol. So if anyone knows of the directions on how to install this nice mod to Ultimate.cgi that would be most helpful. Again thanks Technoforum.de for this nice mod. [Linked Image]

#38375 10/12/2000 12:57 PM
I just included this hack into Ultimate.cgi and it works, so I'm going to update the instructions. I do have some troubles to include it in active.cgi but I hope to find the bug very soon ...

I guess the updated instructions to include this hack in Ultimate.cgi will be online in, well, let's say, 15 minutes..

best regards,

Hello again

Thank you for taking the time and writing the instructions for the Ultimate.cgi popup mod. I did try and install it and when I uploaded it in ASCII it didnt break anything but it didnt have a popup when I sent myself a PM. I did notice that in Forumdisplay you had several lines that looked for new PMs and in Ultimate.cgi you didnt have these similar lines. Could that be the problem why it didnt give the popup message in Ultimate.cgi? Thanks

2Saturn, well, I use the 'old' privateMessage-Check-Routine which IS in ultimate.cgi (in case you've installed the privateMessage-Hack 1.5+), I just added one additional line which creates a new Body-Tag to PopUp the lil' Window as mentioned in the updated instructions.

Well, you should check if you've done every single step of this modification:
Include the JavaScript, modify the existing privateMessageCheck (add one line) and add the lil' popUp-Variable, that's it!

Well, just send me your updated (!) Ultimate.cgi thru eMail and I'm going to have a look at it!

regards,
chris

Technoforum.de, I do have the CYMPM 2.0 mod installed on my forums. And I did go over the modified Ultimate.cgi script aftering trying to edit Ultimate.cgi with your instructions and everything was put in just like you said to do.

ASC Offline
Saturn, I tried it on your site and it had a sound. I prefer that idea much more than a pop-up.

Is the supplied to the hack the final version? I also want to know how I can change the pop-up to a sound - like Saturn did.

One last question, any way of making this work for users when they come on to our main page before they enter the forums?

B Offline
B
I add a on/off feature for that popup notification. I make it based on "who's online invisible feature".
It store the info in the "preferences" cookie... works great for me...

Code
code:

I hope everything is ok...[Linked Image]

ASC - I was wondering who testert was. The sound notification is actually extremely easy to install ASC, -=Spawn=- told me in an e-mail on what to do.
Code
code:

It is as easy as that [Linked Image] Just 1 line.

B - I will try your code for the popup probably tomorrow, thanks.

I'm going to check your advanced modifications and going to include it into the .txt-File... Great work, guys! [Linked Image]

2Saturn, please send me your Ultimate.cgi thru email to [email protected] and I'm going to have a look at it!

regards,
chris

Great hack...but found a problem. It will not work in IE at least with the Ultimate.cgi version of the hack.

Netscape can handle multiple BODY statements in the HTML. IE cannot, it'll toss the second one. So, we need to get that onLoad= bit into the first body statement and eliminate the second one.

This is my first time documenting this...so, I hope this helps.

So to fix this, we eliminate the old $pmpop mess by removing it from the bottom of the code. These lines go away:

$CurrentPMpop = "$cookie{pmpop}";
if ($CurrentPMpop eq "1") {
$pmpop = qq(); }
else {
$pmpop = qq(VLINK="#000080" ALINK="#000080" onLoad="poppm()>");
}

Also, at the very bottom code in one of the subroutines, there's a $pmpop on a line by itself inside a print<< routine. We kill that too. It's just after the users online stuff prints.

Now, back up in the code we find the first BODY statement inside a large "print << INTROHTML" routine.

Make it look like this...

Code
code:

And that is it. It will now work in both IE and Netscape because this will setup only one BODY tag based on if they have messages or not. If no messages, the standard body tag is used, if new messages, it will add in the onload call.

I thank my friend Otto for helping me with this for I am learning as I go.

------------------
David Bott
AVS Forum Admin
http://www.avsforum.com

This message has been edited by David Bott on October 22, 2000 at 08:36 PM

Anyone still have the code ?
I've lost it frown

Have you tried the link in the database?

yep a couple of times, its not there frown
I hope I'm not going blind...

Well I searched my comp and I deleted it, so I can't help. Sorry. Report the broken link to Allen or Viper and they will get it fixed.

Thats ok, I justed add a sound instead smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63