Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I am half looking for help and half trying to get everyones creative juices flowing. I was looking for a way to let visitors post comments like with KTalk, but have those comments interface with my UBB forums rather than using KTalk itself. Well, from the few steps I picked up about printing the news article and sending the news article to a friend, I was able to set up Newspro to post comments to a designated thread in UBB. The problem is this: I can only set it to create a new topic each time, rather than just add each additional comment as a reply to the original topic. But here is how it is done.
Take viewnews.cgi and viewnews.tmpl and copy them to a temporary folder. In that folder rename them to comment.cgi and comment.tmpl (names can be whatever you want, this was the simplest for me.) Open up comment.cgi and find the line near the top that says:
$VNTmpl = 'viewnews.tmpl';
and change that to say
$VNTmpl = 'comment.tmpl'; (or whatever you named your .tmpl file.
Now it gets a bit more complicated if you are a total novice with Newspro and UBB, but still bearable. If you know them both pretty well and are familiar with customizing, it's pretty simple.
To start, open up your UBB control panel and go to forums. Add a new forum, call it News Comments or whatever you like. Go do the details setting and make sure to change the permission for who can post to any user, including unregistered, the same for who can reply. (Unless you want to force people to register, in which case leave it as is.
After you have created the forum, go to your UBB in the browser and open the forum you created, then click your "Post new topic" button. When the page opens, view the source code and copy the entire thing (this will ensure that all your personal UBB modifications carry over).

Next, open up comment.tmpl and clear the entire file, then past your UBB source code. Change the tp whatever you like. You can make it <TextField: newssubject> if you want it to have the news subject at the title (ohhh...complicted huh) Find the line that says:

The size and maxlength may be different if you have changed them yourself. In that line of code, change

VALUE=""

to

VALUE=""

This will make the default subject of the message whatever the title of your post was. NOTE: You can change TYPE="TEXT" in the same line to TYPE="hidden" to prevent people from changing the subject.

If you know about forms and the Newspro commands for .tmpl files then you will be able to do a lot more customization, but none is necessary.

Now, upload the comment.cgi and comment.tmpl files to your newspro directory, the same directory your viewnews.cgi and viewnews.tmpl are, and change the permissions on comment.cgi to 755.

The last step is to go to open up ndisplay.pl and add

[Post Comment]

in your posting guidelines after the sub DoNewsHTML string. If you have never edited ndisplay.pl before, simply find the text under sub DoNewsHTML and you will see it is the code for your posts which you had entered in Newspro.cgi before. The file will tell you to modify a line near the top, changing to , and from then on you will need to modify the posting format though this file.

I tried to explain that as best I can, if you have problems I will try to offer what support I can. Remember, this will simply post a new topic each time, so if 40 people comment on the post, there will be 40 threads with the same topic in your UBB. Advanced programmers will probably be able to figure out how to make it so that the first post open a new thread and after that it checks for the existance of the thread already and changes the post to a reply rather than a new topic. I would be more than glad to work with anyone that thinks they can help who has a good knowledge of NewsPro code...I have none. The two possible solutions I saw where the one I mentioned, checking for the existance of the thread already and opening a reply page rather than a new topic page, or if there was a way to change the newspro.cgi code so that upon submission of a new news article it created the new thread right there, and you would change the comment page to contain the UBB reply code instead. If there was a way to have two FORM Actions occur from one submission that would take care of the problem right there. Any ideas?

Anyway, I hope this gets us on the right track to having a full comment integration to UBB, which is the best Forum system I have seen to date (for those that can afford the $170 for the registered version or know a LOT about hacking the freeware version [Why can't they be more like NewsPro and give it away! ^_^]) For info on Newspro, check out: http://amphibian.gagames.com/newspro

To see this early-stage modification in action, you can visit my site at: http://www.fantasyonline.net
and just click on the little head below a news post.

Hope someone is able to discover the secret to non-repeating threads, if not I'll still be working on it, and trying to answer any questions if they should arise. Hopefully I have been clear and not all that confusing...but let me know.

Silmaris http://www.fantasyonline.net

Sponsored Links
This sounds very interesting.

Just wanted to tell you that this has GOT to be one of the BEST websites I have EVER seen. I must congratulate you on a INCREDIBLE job well done. I wish I had half of the talent required to do work like that.

Best wishes and great luck to you on the success of your fantastic site!

Fred

quote:

Thank You! [Linked Image]

Don't take this the wrong way Slick Chick but I was refering to the site in the topic. The guy who modified News Pro. http://www.fantasyonline.net

Don't get me wrong, I like this place too but I am hoping that you will soon change the layout to a more pleasing to the eye layout.

Fred

Sponsored Links
Wow, thanks for the plug YourMajesty ^_^ I am working on making this into an addon for newspro, like KTalk, you know, just upload and it's installed? What it would do is change the submit button on the news submission page to a Next button, and the following page would just be a "click to create thread" which would make the new thread in UBB with the post title as the topic, and the message would be the newscontent. This way people could go right to the boards for news if they felt like bookmarking the boards and not the main site page. Then I could just change the comment.tmpl to have a UBB reply form instead of a new thread form. The tough part is getting it to post to the proper thread, as a reply form calls for 2 ID firlds, the UBB thread name and postnumber.cgi
It will take some doing, but I hope this will all work. Input, help, all is appreciated ^_^

Colin http://www.fantasyonline.net

I would like to see the developed. I use both UBB and NewsPro and I think it would be a really neat way to make comments on news posts...

^_^

Anyone know how to do this? I really want to find a way to do this....

yea i think this hack would be VERY usefull..i personally would like to use it..maybe ull reease it when ur done?

------------------
-= DFT =-
I don mean dis in a disrespectful way//
But colombine happens in the ghetto happens every day//
Uncle L

I am still looking for a hack that will add a UBB comments to newspro. If anyone has any leads please tell me.

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
We'll be adding this functionality in v6 with templates.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I have something similar to this already on my board.

It was custom written.

I will post the code as I can find it (the perl guy didn't document it at all. I will have to use file compare utility) IF someone will help me incorporate it in a newer version such as 5.45c. (I have 5.39 and d-led 5.45c before my 1 year ran out.)

I paid money for this code. If someone helps me migrate the code, I'll share it.

I also have truncating code for copyright issue reasons that I want to incorporate in the newer version.

To see how this works, look here

[ February 06, 2001: Message edited by: NBAustin ]

[ February 06, 2001: Message edited by: NBAustin ]

PSINet just went down nationwide, so my site is down until they come back on line.

I'd also very much appreciate a Newspro/UBB6 Integration addon too! laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63