Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#48163 06/13/2001 2:25 AM
i am working on a project to put news on my main page. i've seen the Ubbnews and slashbb and all those hacks, but i want a custom job.

What I want to do is:
1) have an admin/moderator be able to post news in a forum. (just like slashbb)

2) when the admin/moderator submits the form, all i want to do is have it go in to my index.html file and look for a comment like
//and add the appropriate javascript function there. The javascript function would look something like this:
createPopup(stuff from the form goes here);

3) I dont want this to just be an output of some CGI script, I want this in my index.html

Basically I want the CGI script to read the news forum(like slashbb) and just add some text to my index.html file.

I am not a CGI programmer so thats why im asking for some help here. I assume(probably falsely) that this is much like slashbb or ubbnews or something.

Any help is much appreciated. My email is: [email protected]

-Brian

Sponsored Links
#48164 06/13/2001 10:59 AM
If you want to make a news-script without the use of CGI, you should try ASP. (for info try www.LearnASP.com ).
This requires your server to support ASP-script. If you are planning to make a web server at home, you should use Microsoft IIS.
If not, there is also a lot of good and reliable web hosting services that support ASP (see www.FreeWebSpace.net )

Hope I answered your question laugh

- SpECTre

#48165 06/13/2001 12:23 PM
I thought about that too, but I was not sure that it would work with UBB.

After reading my post, I realized that I need to be clearer on what I want.

I want an admin/moderator to post news in some forum(named News on this board). After that person submits it on the UBB, he/she goes to some CGI script (ie. named news.cgi) or something. That script will look at the forum where I posted the news from and write to the index.html. It is just like Slashbb, however I want to write it to a file - not to the screen.

Does this make it clearer?

-Brian

#48166 06/15/2001 11:14 AM
anyone have any help on this?

I just want to post the news in my forum(just like in slashbb), then go to a CGI file. When you get into the CGI file, it should print to the screen a bunch of default settings for my news page(like color and position etc.) then I just click on the submit button and it looks into my index.html file and adds the appropriate HTML in the right spot.

in my index.html, there is a spot that looks like this:

then I goto the CGI script and it looks at the newest post in my news forum and it outputs that, plus a few default settings. When I click on submit, it looks in the index.html file for and begins to write the appropriate HTML there. A sample output would look like this"

createpopup('title', x, y, width, height, etc..)

the 'title' and 'x' etc., would be the default settings.

does this help?

-Brian

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Nettomo
Nettomo
Germany, Bremen
Forum Statistics
Forums63